24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had great success with a 165 or 168 grain bullet in .308 caliber (30-06).

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
100 gr .243 SP Hornady ,100 gr Corelokt .243, 95 gr NPT & 95 nbt 243
100gr .257 SP Horn & 115 gr npt .257
129 gr SP Horn 6.5
139 gr SP Horn & 140 gr NPT .284
130 gr Corelokt &130 gr SP Horn .277
150gr SP Horn & 165 gr SP Horn, 180 gr NPT .308
210 gr NPT .338
225 gr NPT .358
235 gr Speer .375
40 tgbs .392"
45 tgbs .440" & .442" for 45 sharps
500500 Rapine for 50-140 sharps
Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For varmints Rem 50 and 55 gr PLHPs. Equaled Sierra 52s and 53s in accuracy. More explosive terminal effect, about like a Blitzking. But can be driven well over 4k. Discontinued, except for my ammo cans.

For .308" - the 180 gr Rem PSPCL. Except on bone up close. A safe bet for accuracy in any .300 WBY.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Good old ones like Corelokt, etc. work fine on most things you will ever hunt. Nosler Partitions are excellent though. New whiz Bang super duper marketing ploys dont often fool me. Stick with tried and true stuff

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have used the following bullets on big game:

Barnes—
Tipped Triple Shock
Triple Shock
Long-Range X (LRX)
X-Bullet
XLC

Berger Hunting VLD

Fail Safe—
Both Winchester & Combined Technology

Federal—
Blue Box
Deep Shok
Red Box
Trophy Bonded Tip

Hornady—
ELD-X
GMX
InterBond
Spire Point, both Interlock & pre-Interlock
SST

Norma Oryx

North Fork Soft Point

Nosler—
AccuBond
AccuBond Long Range
Ballistic Tip
E-Tip
Partition (both lathe-turned and extruded)
Partition Gold
Solid Base

Remington—
Core-Lokt (original and post-1990)
Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded

Sierra—
GameKing

Speer—
Hot-Cor
Grand Slam (original and improved)

Swift—
A-Frame
Scirocco
Scirocco II

Trophy Bonded Bear Claw—both the original and Federal versions

Winchester—
Power Point
Silvertip
XP3

They have all worked fine, as long as the bullets were used within their design parameters.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
been around and worked at wild game processing shops you learn plenty about bullets that have taken wild game, also while hunting too. Nosler Partitions or Swift A-Frames both excellent bullets. Hornady and Speer and others work fine too. now what i am going to reply about this bullet some are going to be upset ,i am sorry if it upsets you but this is what i seen on wild game shot with this bullet, the bullets jacket comes off the lead many times, some guys had to shoot animal again because bullet did no penetrate well. i also caped plenty elk ,deer and antelope so some bullets made a mess on the opposite side too. now with respect i will tell you the bullet and as i said sorry but there is no way i will ever again load or buy this bullet again to hunt big game. > Remington Core-Lokt .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P53 - I’m not upset, or surprised but I have several questions for your consideration :
The impact velocities seem to be above the performance window of the CoreLokt

Were these factory Remington Express loads ?
Were they Over Powered ? Short Range Impacts ?

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have never seen an A-Frame, TBBC, or Northfok of at least .300 sectional density fail to expand, and only a handful fail to exit in the largest of game. Those would be my absolute top choice. I've seen similar performance with Weldcores, but you do have to respect their max velocity or they shed too much weight whereas you can drive the other three essentially as fast as you want.

Partitions and accubonds are in a middle tier - they shed too much weight but are otherwise OK. Swift Scirocco's don't shed excessive weight but are only available in lower SDs than I would like.

The very worst I have seen are Bergers (which are frangible target bullets despite being sold for hunting) and Barnes mono-metal which frequently fail to open and produce very inadequate wounds when they do.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 07/06/21.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Pete, You're not even slightly upsetting me. We just have a different opinion, possibly due to variables in play. One reason to participate in forums is to seek differing opinions, they should never surprise or insult.

I didn't mention this, but the worst failures (pancaking on a rib, deer and moose, three different examples) I've ever seen in .308" involved the 180 gr Hornady Spire Point that PintsofCraft (thread starter) considers an excellent bullet. Awhile back we had a similar thread and "good bullet" was the consensus on that Hornady. Just not my experience is all. Maybe a bad batch of bullets - maybe just bad luck.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I generally use federal premium factory loads with 180gr partitions out of either a 30-06 or 308win for elk.
For deer and hogs i used either corelokts, power points, or fed blue box. They all work fine for me.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My definition of a "workhorse" bullet is one that performs above it's pay grade. The original Remington Corelocked certainly did this, I am mixed on the currently produced CL as I have had one negative experience.

The Hornaday Interlock has been good in every caliber I have tried them in, about 8 so far. The Speer Hot Core is under rated and a good performer, The Fusion, Gold Dot, Federal Deep Curl, and other versions of the electro-plated bullets are very good being a low cost bonded bullet.

No flies on the Nosler Partition or the Barnes X and other mono bullets but I consider these premium bullets even if they are also work horses.

The Nosler BT is another good one and they shoot in just about every rifle I have tried them in.

I have had mixed results from Sierra's but some of this is from using target bullets on game or just the wrong bullet for the cartridge I was using (IE the 30 180 in a magnum case).

From Merrium-Webster: "something that is markedly useful, durable, or dependable" So this doesn't imply inexpensive, so virtually all of the premium bullets would apply.

Last edited by DBoston; 07/06/21.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
For me, 95gr Nosler Partition out of a .243 Win. Bullets recovered, zero. KY WT lost after being hit with one, zero.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Pretty much every rifle I hunt with is loaded with NABs anymore except one.

My 280 Remington likes 139 Hornady BTSPs
The only bullet I have ever recovered on a whitetail was a 139 Hornady.
It mushroomed perfectly and recovered weight was 92 grains.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
120 grain Hornady Interlock H.P.s (discontinued) in my 25-06; 150 grain Partitions in .270 Win; 160 grain Partitions in 7X57 and 250 grain Speer Hot Cors in 35 Whelen. Those combinations have always worked for me. I'm a "one load in each rifle" kinda guy and when I've found something that works, I've stuck with it. There may be other good choices in each of my rifles, but I haven't felt the need to experiment further.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
150 grain .308 Game Kings in '06 for pronghorn and deer.

180 grain .308 Partitions in .300 magnums for almost all the big game I've shot.

300 grain .375 North Forks for big African stuff.

450 grain .458 North Fork solids and 450 grain Barnes TSX for elephants, though really, I've concluded that .375s work just as well.

All of these work. I see no need to try anything else.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Barnes TTSX or LRX in .257, 7mm, and .30 calibers just plain work and are accurate enough.

225 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw and Partition in .35 Whelen.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I like low priced bullets that work and for big game in 30 caliber Speer Hot Cor bullets in 130, 150, 170, 180 gr are perfect.
For Target, varmint & general use in 30 cal. the Speer 130gr HP, it shoots great and it's super cheap.
In 22cal. I like 65 gr Sierra GK for hunting along with Hornady's 75gr BTHP. I use Hornady 55-60 gr v-max, 55 hp,52gr hp match, 55 FMJ
and their 62 gr BTSP's , for keeping the rifles stuffed.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Having run a ton of bullets over a Juenke comparator and then watched the results at the range there are a number of bullets I will not use. Core-Lokt are the worst, by far. On paper they show it, too. Sierra PH is a very good bullet. Cannot run monometals on the Juenke, but they shoot with the best.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For standard bullets.. Hornady interlock

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Having run a ton of bullets over a Juenke comparator and then watched the results at the range there are a number of bullets I will not use. Core-Lokt are the worst, by far. On paper they show it, too. Sierra PH is a very good bullet. Cannot run monometals on the Juenke, but they shoot with the best.

This is also what I've found--though have had some batches of Hot-Cors that were almost as bad as Core-Lokts on the Juenke, and acted very similarly at the range.

Have used several brands of monometals, and so far all have shot extremely well with the right load combination. (Well, except for some early Barnes X-Bullets, but that was before Randy solved the copper-supply problem.)

For basic cup-an-core have had excellent results with Hornady Interlocks. (Actually, I had great results with Spire Points before they became Interlocks, probably because they had a harder core alloy than some other cup-and-cores.)

Nosler Ballistic Tips tend to provide the same sort of performance as Interlocks in the same weight/caliber, partly due to the heavier jacket. But have also gotten similar performance with recent Hornady SSTs, also with excellent accuracy.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
127 members (257 mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,805 guests, and 809 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.