Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
WOW, after all these years, I finally got back in!!!

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Whelenman
$3.37 here for regular gas!

Kewl story brah!!!

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LoadClear

Kewl story brah!!!

English please if you don’t mind!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by LoadClear

Kewl story brah!!!

English please if you don’t mind!!

Sure, I'll translate:

So what's your point? What does this have to do with the thread? In what part of Alaska is gas $3.37?

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sometimes it's like a full circle. For 18 years I bitched about the cost of gas in AK. In the valley wasn't as bad because none of anchorages taxes. Moved back to MI and I liked the fuel costs. Until now. I'll take AK prices. Full circle

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I remember needing gas, and paying $1.58, I thought that was highway robbery. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Who ever imagined that by moving to Alaska one would pay less for the necessities than they do down in the lesser 48?

I’m getting more excited and antsy every day that goes by just waiting for a few more months until we sell the house down here and move up to our place in Southeast. It’s literally been a lifelong dream of mine to live in the Last Frontier and one that I was beginning to think might not happen due to our elderly parents, children in school and all the other ties that bind. Luckily though my prayers were answered and the time has come.

Even if gas was as expensive as it is in Canada it still wouldn’t dissuade us from leaving our slave masters down here and searching out freedom up north.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Now some of you ole guys can outdo me on the "cheapest gas story", but I remember 78 cents a gallon as a teenager, to fill my baby blue 1978 Kawasaki snowjet 440.

78 cents a gallon ah gas, a mora swedish hand auger, allagash ice fishing traps and a powerblok clutch on the ole snow jet, life was simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
78 cents a gallon? Pissha!
I gave 25 cents a gal. for gas and 10 cents for a bottle of used motor oil at the cash only station to keep the '60 Corvair running.
Used about as much oil as gas.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
In the early to mid 50's gas was 12.9 to 13.9 cents per gallon. But there were constant gas wars, and it would drop to 10.5 on Sat. and Sunday, and on Saturday night at midnight for one hour would drop to 9.9 cents per gal. This was in farm country south/east PA.

This will crack some of you up. You were not allowed to pump your own gas. Even if you were the gas station attendant at the station across the street. Or if you worked for the same station, but it was your day off, you were still not allowed to pump your own gas. Wow have times changes.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Late 80's/ early 90's I had a '65 CJ5 with a Chevy 350 with 33" tires. Got 5mpg with that thing. 10 gallon tank. I used to drive it between camp lejeune and Michigan every other weekend. Couldn't afford to do that now.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Yup.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I remember $0.26 per gallon when the gas wars where going on. I could fill the tank on my bike with pocket change. I'm thinking that was in the 70s when i was in high school.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hudge
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
$3.59 per gallon at the Eagle River Fed Meyers, it's been at that price since before Pedo Joe took office.

Mmm, I don’t think so. I didn’t see gas prices in the valley break $3.00 a gallon before 20 Jan. Now since July, sure, I’ve only seen about .10 cents difference. $3.54 when I filled up the son’s car yesterday.
Yeah, that's correct, I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that but it's been at $3.59 for a long time now, at least since late June early July.

I remember putting gas in my dads car, it was $.25 a gallon and cigarettes where close to that price per pack as well.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Who ever imagined that by moving to Alaska one would pay less for the necessities than they do down in the lesser 48?

I’m getting more excited and antsy every day that goes by just waiting for a few more months until we sell the house down here and move up to our place in Southeast. It’s literally been a lifelong dream of mine to live in the Last Frontier and one that I was beginning to think might not happen due to our elderly parents, children in school and all the other ties that bind. Luckily though my prayers were answered and the time has come.

Even if gas was as expensive as it is in Canada it still wouldn’t dissuade us from leaving our slave masters down here and searching out freedom up north.

You have no fkn clue what you're getting yourself into:

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Lol…. I have a pretty good idea of what I’m getting into. A small community with less than 200 people that act more like extended family than they do neighbors. A beautiful marina where a years moorage costs the same as 2 months moorage down here. A new ferry and float plane dock as well as a burger joint at the marina. More deer and beer than people and decent fishing, crabbing and shrimping virtually year round. Peace and quiet, no cops and no sirens. Our property has city water, power and sewer with NO property tax and no BS building codes or permits. It’s one of the only places I’ve found where you get the comfort of modern living without the government being in your pocket. The weather is very similar to here but with more rain and a bit more snow…..no frigid temperatures like the interior.
Mostly I’m “getting into” FREEDOM and away from tyranny and that alone is worth the “trouble”. I’ll eventually get the opportunity to check off my bucket list hunts without paying tens of thousands of dollars. Any difficulties are quickly overshadowed by the benefits but the biggest benefit is getting our children out of here and into a life worth living. There’s no future down here for white, Christian conservatives.

I’ve always enjoyed your posts Mainer and they definitely didn’t dissuade me from making the move or question my sanity. Good luck to you this winter and I look forward to your future posts of your adventures. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
There’s no future down here for white, Christian conservatives.

Yeah, I have a brother trapped by circumstances and unable to leave Port Townsend. He can't believe how that state has gone downhill so dramatically.
You're making the right choice... and anyway, you probably already know all about how to live with rain.
I miss Southeast a lot, almost as much as I miss Bristol Bay.

Last edited by sayak; 10/13/21.

An unashamed bitter/clinger/deplorable
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I don’t mind the rain and can deal with it much better than I can the heat. It’s absolutely unreal how fast we’re sliding off the cliff into the black liberal abyss they’re creating. I saw the writing on the wall years ago and started preparing for our escape, buying property amassing tools and equipment, figuring out the logistics of building and supplying ourselves from rural Alaska, putting together a small “fleet” of vessels 😁, not to mention Guns, ammo and reloading supplies. I’m not counting on being able to purchase everything we need to live comfortably so I’ve been working on alternative methods. We’ve seen an exodus of conservatives in the past few months the likes of which is mind blowing. Those that once thought I was off my rocker because of my complete distrust of government are eating their words today. I’ve positioned my family to succeed and <hopefully> thrive during this dystopian time and I think Southeast is as good as it gets FOR US. It’s far enough away from the lower 48, it has very few people scattered over a vast area and one would have to try to starve to death 8 months+ out of the year up there. It’s always been my dream ever since I was a little boy to live in Alaska but I didn’t want to see our country destroyed in order to precipitate the move. We’re about done with the craziness down here and I don’t see it getting better before it gets much much worse, I hope I’m wrong but so far I haven’t been.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I think you all will thrive here, ace.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

629 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 2,060 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,245
Posts18,447,972
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.