Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
robthom Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
For those who hunt long distance from home / gunsmithing, do you favour fixed scope mounts or use detachable models with a zerored back up scope ready to switch over?

If so, which makes are preferred?

What is the experience with QD scope mounts - how repeatable are they - 0.5 MOA? And is this normally good enough out to more sensible longer range, day 400 yards max?

I am thinking here along lines of mechanical engineering error stack approach.

Say rifle is genuine 1.25 MOA, if 0.5 MOA error introduced, but everything else on the money, would a 7 inch group, the size of a B5 envelope or there about ( rectangular dims) be adequate for most hunting?

I think it would be - heart lung vital area/ broadside aim.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have talley quick release rings on a few rifles but i usually don’t keep another scope on tap, I have done it in the past but that’s just one more thing in your pack you don’t want getting slammed around.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have QD rings on all of my go-to hunting rifles. I only use the Weaver/Picatinny mounting system and Warnes are what I use most but do have some Leupolds also. They work well and are certainly reliable for hunting. They return to zero, or close enough that it does not matter. Within reasonable hunting distances, I do not think you would miss a kill shot solely because of QD rings.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Much as I like LW Talleys, I’ve begun using Weaver/pic bases on new installs. Not a backpacker, but the notion of a quickly available backup appeals to me. A pre-zeroed red dot or small prism (my choice) can weigh just a few ounces and you can shoot better with them than you’d think. Just be certain you can easily remove the scope and install the spare whatever. Some rings, like Burris Zees, are hard to get off and on. Tool-less is best.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
robthom Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thank you for your replies.

For the record, one of my rifles wares Tally QD mounts. They are solidly made, the levers are 'robust' instill confidence thet will not shear off easily when tightening up / attching the scop / rings to bases. To my mind, the Leupold 'little' levers side levers look, well little. I can readily see me breaking those off when trying to fix scope. For this reason, I do not think I would go alimuminium over steel monts in a QD mount.

The issue I have is the Taley QD levers catch on things - slings, vegetation, clothing. So, I was wondering if a detachable version that requires a little tool would be better. I guess people carry a little tool kit with them when hunting away from hom. Maybe some action spare parts too?

I like the idea of some spare part insurance when hunting a long way / distance / time from home. Hence the question about having a back up, zeroed scope at hand.

The repeability issue question comes from my observation how the scope rings clamp / tighten on the base as the lever arm is rotated: how much off original centre will they be when re-attached. I like the look of the Conetrol mounts but these are more of a bench / workshop change out option - need tools and pretty precise repositioning using the sets of screws - must be turned back in by the same amount turned out to loosen / detach. Of course, this could be assisted by the use of witness marks engraved into scew heads and bases body.

The comments about hitting rectangular area / vital zone comes from seeing the Swarovski video for scopes with range finding BRH & TDS reticles. They were hitting steel plates at some quite impressive distances.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If you're going to carry a backup scope it should be a non-issue to carry a small torx key taped to it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have the warne QD rings and irons. I haven’t noticed any issues with RTZ but I haven’t done any kind of robust or purposeful testing. I do like the idea of a lightweight red dot as a backup. I put one on the .22 I just got the kids and was shocked at how much I liked it.

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had Leupold QRW rings with steel Weaver bases for a long time, but switched to Talley LW one piece because of the incredible weight disparity. I now only use the Leupolds on my Ruger GSR which is not my main hunting rifle. However, I do like that idea of having a good, small red dot as the back up on Weaver bases as packing an extra scope in your pack "just in case" is a pretty big weight investment. I haven't broken a lever on Leupold QRW rings, but have on similar Weaver quick detach rings.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Fixed for me. Needing a backup has not been an issue.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have QD rings on all my rifles that have iron sights, and a scope. On some guns, both set of sights are zeroed with the same load, on others, I'll sight in a flatter/lighter bullet with the scope, and a heavier bullet with the iron sights. I do this with a 30-06 (165/220), a 338 win. (225/300), and a 35 Whelen (225/310). These 3 guns are stainless/synthetic Ruger 77s.

I swap back and forth depending on if I'm hunting strictly open/broken country or thick timber.....OR, when packing out meat in Griz country, the iron sights and heavier bullets are a bit more comforting.

All of my QD rings are Warne. At 100 yds, I've never had one off by more than 1/2", when checking for repeatability.

Andy3

IC B3

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Fixed mounts and a back-up rifle.

Honestly, I have had MORE iron sight issues that scope issues. Leaning a rifle against a tree is a sure way to have any issue eventually.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
R
robthom Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thank you all for the feedback. It is interesting to read the number of people who use Warne QD mounts. I was expecting Talley to dominate. I have seen quite a few custom rifles on Hallowell's website that use Leupold mounts.

While these QD mounts are detachable, I have the suspicion you should not be taking them on / off repeatedly / frequently due to ware. This is the issue in the long run even with German claw mounts. I view them as insurance policies.

Given the issue I had once with a can of corned beef and the little key / tear stub strip they come with, I am nervous of little levers.... Particularly if aluminium.

I saw a thread on this website or Accurate Reloading where a hunter had some aluminium rings fracture on a hunt in Kazakhstan or Kirghizstan - v.low temps. I think the rifle was a fairly lightweigt .300 something magnum with a larger telescopic sight 6-20?x50 something.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I've been using Talleys for years on various rifles and have yet to wear them out. I kill about half my deer every year with the talley peep sight rather than the scope. I'd also say don't sweat the levers, Talley steel levers aren't going to break off. I also get to bust my way through some of the thickest brush North America has to offer and find that if the levers are faced towards the rear having them get hung up on brush isn't much of an issue.

djb is correct, many open sights suffer from durability issues but proper ones like XS or Skinner take a beating and don't keep a guy up at night worrying.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used nothing but Talley QR mounts for years but have recently switched to the Talley Light Weights. I like the ability to remove a scope with the OR if I'm traveling or sending the rifle off the the smith but that's really not that common. If I were in the back county and wanted some sort of backup I'd just have quality fixed sights put on the rifle (not always an option or desirable I know). If I were to bring a back up scope, I'd have it pre sighted in and would use masking tap to mark it so I could reinstall it as close as possible if I need to mount it again (I do this if I need to pull a scope that I intend to re install).

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I’ve got nothing but praise for Talley QDs, but their lightweights are pretty chinsey. I’ve had multiples break on a .308 and a .300 wsm.

J
JJF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by djb

Honestly, I have had MORE iron sight issues that scope issues. Leaning a rifle against a tree is a sure way to have any issue eventually.
+1 on the fixed mounts and backup rifle, though I do hunt from treestands and don't have to travel very far to get to them.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by JJF
Originally Posted by djb

+1 on the fixed mounts and backup rifle, though I do hunt from treestands and don't have to travel very far to get to them.

+2
Fixed rings. Rifles take a beating elk hunting. I always have a backup. While it might be more common to have an optic failure, a rifle failure does happen. Broken firing pin, scratched muzzle, lost magazine, broken springs, broken stock... I get one chance a year to hunt elk (wife's decision). I'm not taking chances on equipment and missing out on the hunt, I want a full backup.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Originally Posted by JJF
Originally Posted by djb

+2
Fixed rings. Rifles take a beating elk hunting. I always have a backup. While it might be more common to have an optic failure, a rifle failure does happen. Broken firing pin, scratched muzzle, lost magazine, broken springs, broken stock... I get one chance a year to hunt elk (wife's decision). I'm not taking chances on equipment and missing out on the hunt, I want a full backup.

This is the backpacking hunting area of the Campfire forum. You're going to carry a second rifle with you? Awesome!

Not me. smile I might bring a second scope already sighted-in, on detachable mounts. Maybe. smile But I kinda doubt it. I'll just go with as sturdy a setup as I can, maintaining backpacking weight parameters, and call it good.

All the best, Guy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah that. I’m thinking folks aren’t really backpack hunting.

But cool to socialize with those that do. Although they aren’t carrying a backup rifle.

To the OP. No. Use a solid rifle and optic.

Sean
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Cascade

This is the backpacking hunting area of the Campfire forum. You're going to carry a second rifle with you? Awesome!

Not me. smile I might bring a second scope already sighted-in, on detachable mounts. Maybe. smile But I kinda doubt it. I'll just go with as sturdy a setup as I can, maintaining backpacking weight parameters, and call it good.

All the best, Guy

A good point. If we talking truly backpacking and unlikely return the vehicle during the hunt, my opinion wouldn't change much. Fixed bases, and the lightest weight rifle/optic possible. I definitely still have a backup rifle locked in the truck. In the woods, and on my hip, would be plan B, a legal (for hunting) handgun. I would not carry a spare scope with me. I like knowing that if something really bad happened to my rifle, I have a spare. Taking the time to go get it would depend on how far away the truck was, days left in the season, game sightings, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (1lessdog, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,880 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,453,995
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.