Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Thank god the north beat those southern pieces of [bleep].

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Henryseale
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Interesting reading there, Mike. Thanks for posting it.
As much as I’ve been infatuated with Gettysburg, I’ve always thought that most people attach way too much importance to it. With Grant’s capture of Vicksburg, the die was already cast for the South’s defeat.
7mm

I agree. I have said for years that on the fateful day of 04 July 1863, the Confederacy failed to win the war at Gettysburg and lost the war at Vicksburg. My great-grandmother's brother was with the 13th Mississippi Infantry Regt., Barksdale's Brigade, Longstreet's Corps at Gettysburg. Another great-grandmother's brother was with the 43rd Mississippi Infantry Regt. at Vicksburg. My great-grandfather was with the 40th Alabama Infantry Regt., Moore's Brigade at Vicksburg. My wife's great-gr-grandfather was with the 39th Georgia Infantry Regt. at Vicksburg. My people saw a lot of history made on that fateful day.

My Great Grandfather Patton was at Vicksburg, or so I was told, but research of the 2nd Arkansas 2nd Arkansas infantry, that He was in, does not show them at Vicksburg. They were in a lot of major battles, and He mustered out in North Carolina at the end of the war. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE

This has earned you a place on my ignore list. You can go to Hell. miles

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

MILES, Your getting slow in your old age I've had this BUTT HOLE on ignore, for a couple of months. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haven't paid much attention to Him until now. miles

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by milespatton

This has earned you a place on my ignore list. You can go to Hell. miles

Lol oh no!!! A guy who wishes the south won the civil war put me on his ignore list!!!! What am I going to do now?!?!?! Hahahha

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by RIO7

MILES, Your getting slow in your old age I've had this BUTT HOLE on ignore, for a couple of months. Rio7

This is 100% a lie since I havnt started posting regularly in this particular part of the forum for more than ~ 2 weeks.

So many filthy, dishonest liars around here, it’s amazing.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

I’m just curious as to why you think the South are pieces of schiit?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Right before the battle, Lee had a heart episode. Also, he had fallen off his horse and just had the splints taken off right before the battle. I just wonder if he wasn't 100% for the battle. I can only imagine the stress. Pendleton was one of Lee's crones. He was also chummy with Davis. The top Confederate officers all went to Pendletons church in Richmond

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Springcove

I have no opinion of the current south, I was referring to the south st the time of the civil war.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been close by twice over the last 10 years - visiting PA for work. Never made it there. Wish I had.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Be interesting to see what historians consider the most studied battle of all time. Gettysburg? Waterloo? No idea what the answer would be but Gettysburg certainly lends itself to examining bit by bit.

Last edited by RufusG; 07/06/21.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Springcove

I have no opinion of the current south, I was referring to the south st the time of the civil war.

So was I. Why?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RufusG
Be interesting to see what historians consider the most studied battle of all time. Gettysburg? Waterloo? No idea what the answer would be but Gettysburg certainly lends itself to examining bit by bit.

Have to think Midway or D-Day is on that list too, if just due to scale.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal

Have to think Midway or D-Day is on that list too, if just due to scale.

Even though I served in the Navy, I was thinking along the lines on strictly land battles, but yeah, those would work. You could add Leyte Gulf and Jutland in that case.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

What’s interesting to me is how much new pertaining to Gettysburg has been learned by Historians in my own lifetime.

I’m not a Historian I just read the books they wrote. It was prob’ly around 1973 when I found Bruce Catton’s famous trilogy in my high school library. My first serious immersion in the history of that war. I should read it again to see how current it is.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
What’s interesting to me is how much new pertaining to Gettysburg has been learned by Historians in my own lifetime.

What do you think that's based on? New sources like personal journals? Combing over old accounts?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

What do you think that's based on? New sources like personal journals? Combing over old accounts?

Has to be primary sources, which would include journals and accounts. Other valuable primary sources would icludd Quartermaster’s records and trade and mercantile inventories.

I think looking at old evidence with new questions in mind helps too. For example AFAIK nobody questioned why Lee would commit less than 20% of his available manpower to his final attack of Day 3.

Turns out Pickett’s charge was intended to be just one element of a larger plan. Tom Carhart’s “Lost Triumph: Lee’s Real Plan at Gettysburg” didn’t come out in print until 2005.

https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Triumph-Lees-Gettysburg-Failed/dp/0425207919

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
When Ted Turner was doing "Gettysburg", I could have been an extra in Pickets charge but was too busy, 1 of the biggest regrets of my life. Most of my Cousins went & they said there wasn't a dry eye among the Confederate extras.

The men in the Georgia part of my family joined Phillips Legion & were actively engaged at the battle.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E

Just imagine living around the Shenandoah valley and not being a non slave owner in that time period and having your home burned your crops burned and your livestock stolen what would you do

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

428 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 39 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,746
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.