Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
My recent manufacture Miroku 1895 30-40 Krag is great, but it shoots very high. With the buckhorn rear sight set in the lowest notch and trying a dozen different loads from 150 to 200 grains with various charges up to Nosler and Hodgdon published maximums, groups print anywhere from 6" to 12" high at 100 yards. I can hold low, but I'd sure like to find a deer load that can use the sight as intended. Another Miroku 1895 in 30-06 that I own, somewhat older, does not have this problem. Comparing the front sights, I can find no discernable difference in blade height or shape and the rear buckhorn appears identical on both. Both rifles have 24" barrels. Anyone else have this problem and if so, how did you correct it?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Aperture sight?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on adjustable aperture sights. Mine are Williams.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by crshelton
I've been buying Redfield receiver sights from the 1950s for my 95s and 1886. Finding so called 'gun smiths to drill and tap is the problem. Nice thing about the old Redfields is they are made of steel.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm not real familiar with new 1895 reproductions, are the front sights dovetailed or pinned in blades? You only need a higher front blade to get the poa/poi in line, you might even give Miroku/Winchester/Browning a call and see if they offer different heights. Ebay's a good place to search for either type. As far as aperture sights go, an 1895 screams "climbing Lyman" in original or reproduction form.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Contact Kaywoodie, he knows more about the 1985, than most here. Rio7

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Thanks for the suggestions.

An aperture sight would be my solution if the receiver was already drilled and tapped. My local smith could do it, but I'd probably be waiting a long time. Looking at the Williams aperture sight on my Model 71, it's not clear to me that the aperture would be any lower than the buckhorn on this 1895, but being farther back might correct for that.

Another option is to tap the buckhorn dovetail out and get a lower profile rear sight if that's possible, maybe NECG has something. Yet another option is a dovetail picatinny that would allow me to mount a red dot sight in place of the buckhorn. Although not to everyone's taste, I've used red dots on a Model 94, 64A, and a Ruger No. 3 with success, but not with the dovetail style mount. For this gun it would depend on how the mount conforms to the barrel contour.

Getting a higher front blade if anyone makes one would certainly work. The front blade is pinned into a grooved block affixed to the top of the barrel. The pin seems very small - too small for me to try punching out. However, the blade is definitely a separate piece and thus should be possible to replace with the right tools and skill. I like the idea of contacting BACO/Winchester to see what they suggest so that's what I'll try first.

A final question is whether I qualify for membership in the Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester. I have four, but none could be described as ancient (although I have been described as such).

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I see pin-in blades of different heights for sale on ebay but I don't know if the width is compatible. Again Kaywoodie may be able to tell you because he has both original and Miroku repros.
He can also bestow membership in the "Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester" if he deems it appropriate. smile

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I don't know why two otherwise identical rifles would shoot to two very different points of impact, just because of the cartridges, which are not that different.

One thing that you might check is whether the rear sight step elevator is the same on both rifles. I know that the one on my Miroku 1873 is higher than normal, probably because the front sight that Miroku chose is too high, and they bought a bunch of them. If it is too high, and is lifting the rear sight an abnormal amount, you might be able to replace it with a lower one.

However, if that isn't it, and as long as the accuracy is normal, I would suggest that you replace the front sight or front sight blade with a higher one. Each rifle is an individual.

I don't see what else that you can do if you want to use the iron sights.

Last edited by saddlegun; 06/20/21.

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Try slowing your bullets down & using a 6 o'clock hold.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by arkypete
Originally Posted by crshelton
I've been buying Redfield receiver sights from the 1950s for my 95s and 1886. Finding so called 'gun smiths to drill and tap is the problem. Nice thing about the old Redfields is they are made of steel.

I only owned one Redfield receiver sight that I picked up at a gun show. (remember those?)

It was built like a tank. Better than the steel Lyman receiver sights that were available in the 1970s.

But I have never seen another. People hang on to good things.

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Astrodynamicist
My recent manufacture Miroku 1895 30-40 Krag is great, but it shoots very high. With the buckhorn rear sight set in the lowest notch and trying a dozen different loads from 150 to 200 grains with various charges up to Nosler and Hodgdon published maximums, groups print anywhere from 6" to 12" high at 100 yards. I can hold low, but I'd sure like to find a deer load that can use the sight as intended. Another Miroku 1895 in 30-06 that I own, somewhat older, does not have this problem. Comparing the front sights, I can find no discernable difference in blade height or shape and the rear buckhorn appears identical on both. Both rifles have 24" barrels. Anyone else have this problem and if so, how did you correct it?
This is a simple fix, buy a taller front sight blade.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Shoot lower.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ain in the same spot, just raise the target.. You using the factory buck horn?

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With the front sight you describe, the easy solution would be to measure the thickness of the insert, then replace it with a piece of sheet brass of the same thickness. Not too tough, but pay someone if you are nervous about it. Cut it high, then file it down so your load prints in the right place with the rear sight in the middle, for future changes.

Skinner makes a base that will replace the rear sight with a short rail that will take a small red dot, but it looks funny, especially on a round barrel.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Winchester 95, 405, going to the gunsmith today to for drilling and tapping for Redfield receiver sight I'm hoping there's no need to replace the front sight..

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,495
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.