Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
in this case, the fired case ejected. The case was not split. I talked to Glock USA tech rep on the phone. He said it sounds like the broken spring caused the issue. I am going to replace the guide rod/spring. Is there a better aftermarket brand to get, or is the OEM piece adequate
This particular pistol was made in 1996. My brother in law carried it as an active duty Federal officer in his last posting. Part of his job was as a firearms instructor. I talked to the BIL today, and he says that pistol probably had over 5000 rounds through it. He subsequently gave it to my Son.
Sam - just me, but I would get it fixed and then trade that item for something (read: anything) else..

Way too many stories of Glocks blowin' up... I've owned/shot a ton of various handguns over my years, but I would never touch one of those.. Just me, I'm sure... YMMV.

It's never been an issue with 9mm Glocks.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have seen three issues with a G27.
All the same, all the same gun.

Buddy using found brass from an outdoor area the police used as a range.
Blew out the "smiley", and the mag. Stung the heck out of his fingers.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Redneck
in this case, the fired case ejected. The case was not split. I talked to Glock USA tech rep on the phone. He said it sounds like the broken spring caused the issue. I am going to replace the guide rod/spring. Is there a better aftermarket brand to get, or is the OEM piece adequate
This particular pistol was made in 1996. My brother in law carried it as an active duty Federal officer in his last posting. Part of his job was as a firearms instructor. I talked to the BIL today, and he says that pistol probably had over 5000 rounds through it. He subsequently gave it to my Son.
Sam - just me, but I would get it fixed and then trade that item for something (read: anything) else..

Way too many stories of Glocks blowin' up... I've owned/shot a ton of various handguns over my years, but I would never touch one of those.. Just me, I'm sure... YMMV.

It's never been an issue with 9mm Glocks.

No worries, I read Winchester released M1152 for sale to the public. whistle I am going to miss saying your 9x19 fmj ammo is weak like your vodka. smirk
Good topic. My Glock is over 25 years old and plastic does not age well. I hope Walther makes PDP SC soon so I can buy one.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by WTM45
That was not a "kaboom." OEM is more than adequate. It is a part that should be replaced at regular intervals.

Recoil springs can fail. Especially with a lot of use and age.
Replace recoil spring. Rock on.

This. Kabooms don't get repaired and put back into action.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Recoil Spring Assemblies (RSA's) are a consumable, and '96 means it's a Gen2, but I think it is still the dual spring.

A new OEM GLOCK RSA is all you need, and the non Gen4+ .40 will need a new one generally by 5,000 rounds anyway.

The test is:

1. Point the pistol muzzle up.
2. Pull back the slide until it sets the trigger.
3. GENTLY release the pull and ride the slide until you can let go.

If the slide DOESN'T go back into battery by spring force alone while in the vertical?

Get a new $7 OEM GLOCK RSA.

GR

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Have seen three issues with a G27.
All the same, all the same gun.

Buddy using found brass from an outdoor area the police used as a range.
Blew out the "smiley", and the mag. Stung the heck out of his fingers.

Yeah, the Gen2 Bbl. doesn't support the case all that well.

Strictly run Factory 180 gr. in my G23.2.

New since '93, with countless thousands of rounds through it, flawlessly.

GR

S
S
I would call Glock and inquire about sending the pistol to them to inspect. I've heard they'll take old Glocks, for example, and make sure they have all the updates they may need. I have heard of some .40 S&W issues with Glock in the past since the pistol was designed as a 9mm, not a .40 S&W or .357 SIG (as opposed to a Glock 20, 29, or 30 which were designed around the 10mm and .45 ACP cartridges. Anyway, it wouldn't hurt to play it safe and see what they have to say.

Last edited by Sheepdoggit; 07/07/21.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Slavek
My Glock is over 25 years old and plastic does not age well.
Now that's funny!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Sheepdoggit
I would call Glock and inquire about sending the pistol to them to inspect. I've heard they'll take old Glocks, for example, and make sure they have all the updates they may need. I have heard of some .40 S&W issues with Glock in the past since the pistol was designed as a 9mm, not a .40 S&W or .357 SIG (as opposed to a Glock 20, 29, or 30 which were designed around the 10mm and .45 ACP cartridges. Anyway, it wouldn't hurt to play it safe and see what they have to say.

Yeah, Glock wanted to beat S&W to the punch by getting a .40 S&W chambered model out before them, so they simply put a new barrel, extractor, and magazine on the Model 17 and, voilà, objective achieved. Every other company came out with a .40 S&W specific design, and then standardized that model for both 9mm and .40 S&W, so you had overbuilt 9mms, and .40 S&W models strong enough to withstand the pressures.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yeah, Glock wanted to beat S&W to the punch by getting a .40 S&W chambered model out before them, so they simply put a new barrel, extractor, and magazine on the Model 17 and, voilà, objective achieved. Every other company came out with a .40 S&W specific design, and then standardized that model for both 9mm and .40 S&W, so you had overbuilt 9mms, and .40 S&W models strong enough to withstand the pressures.

Glock addressed that problem with Gen V .40 guns. Naturally many Glock fans do not like it because new guns are heaver and do not fit into previous generation plastic holsters. As a side note certain guns were made with superior strength/wear resistance? steel barrels. Those have dot inside pentagon stamp on the barrel (Gen 3 and Gen4?). This is what Glock guys say dot stands for, however, I do not know where their information comes from. I have never handled gun with dot only seen pictures.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Savuti

Perfection.............

LMAO that is good.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Sent my G23.2 back to the mothership for a tune-up, as it had some rusty springs anyway.

Funny story.

Broke the pistol down and shipped it to'em in a home-made box ~ the size of a small paperback book.

They returned it, gratis, work included, in a new storage box, in the center slot of a 5-pistol shipping case as big as a large microwave oven.

Ha!

GR

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If you send one back in with aftermarket parts, what do they do? If they put it back factory, do they return you parts to you?
I have a Ghost trigger in mine and would hate to go back to factory

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If you send one back in with aftermarket parts, what do they do? If they put it back factory, do they return you parts to you?
I have a Ghost trigger in mine and would hate to go back to factory

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glocks are one of the easiest and least expensive parts, guns to work on! I wouldn't bother sending one in unless it had a catastrophic failure.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It's almost always a .40 S&W Glock.

I have read that the 10mm Glock is the worst about "KB malfunctions", the .40 is a close second. .45 sometimes, and the 9mm is usually trouble free in this area. The theory is that it has something to do with the pressure curve of the 10mm and .40.... or something like that....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

They are both loaded to the same pressure - 35k PSI.

The .40, however, has a higher std. pressure muzzle energy, w/ a resultant increase in recoil and slide velocity.

The Gen 4 GLOCKs were the re-engineered model to address the .40.

That's why there were so many 9mm problems with'em.

GR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Stophel
It's almost always a .40 S&W Glock.

I have read that the 10mm Glock is the worst about "KB malfunctions", the .40 is a close second. .45 sometimes, and the 9mm is usually trouble free in this area. The theory is that it has something to do with the pressure curve of the 10mm and .40.... or something like that....

The problem w/ the .40 is bullet setback.

Because it is an optimized cartridge, it has very little excess case capacity.

Even a 10 Thousands set-back will raise the chamber pressure dramatically.

I only shoot reputable factory .40.

GR

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
It was with the Gen 3 guns the extra pin was added and the chamber was given more cartridge support.
Gen 5 increased slide weight through increased dimensions.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (222ND, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 163bc, 68 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,176
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.