-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been using boot blankets for years, hunting to -20. As mentioned I put dry socks on after walking in and then the boot blankets.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I hunt in late Nov. in Minnesota and walk to my stand in hiking boots and light socks, then switch to wool socks and my hunting boots, either uninsulated Rockies or Lacrosse Hunt Pac Extremes. If my feet get cold with either boot, I'll put on Arctic Shield boot blankets as they work great (get snow off of your boots as previously mentioned). I haven't had cold feet since I switched to this system. The Arctic Shields with the reflective foil on the inside do a great job with even uninsulated boots, but can be noisy. You may also try adding a wool or thinsulate footbed under the main footbed in your boot as I bought 2 sizes up on my heavy boots to do this and it helps minimize heat transfer from the ground or a metal stand.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My father and I have started using electric socks I believe from Amazon. Leave them off or on low for the first few hours then turn them up as needed. Seem to use medium heat the most. On high they generate some impressive heat but sometimes too much.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I bought an inexpensive sleeping bag from Walmart, probably about $25. Took it to a local seamstress and had it cut down so that it will reach almost to my waist and had an elastic cord installed. I think I spent $20 on the seamstress.

I store the bag in a compression sack.

Once in my stand, I slip my feet into the bag and snug the cord around my thighs. If it is really cold, I toss a chemical handwarmer in the bag.

I've also got boot blankets but find the above to be less bulky.

Don't normally need any of the above in Alabama but I used to live and still hunt in Virginia. Lots colder up there than down here!

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Ice Breaker boot blankets rule ! I hate big clunky boots , and use a light weight uninsulated boot to hike and hunt . Get to my stand and get the boot blankets out of my pack slip'em on and good to single digits at least. No taking off your boots, swapping socks ect.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Haven’t had cold feet, down to the mid-teens, since I bought some 800 gram Danners. I walk about as far as you or a bit farther, and my feet don't seem to sweat, maybe the Goretex lets the moisture out. Since some of my time gets spent in treestands, the various over-boot ideas might get dicey going in and out. The foam pad would help stop the heat loss from the metal platform and stop the squeaking too; good idea.

My Danners are pretty big, so don’t ever get too tight. One medium wool sock works down to about 30, after that I go heavy. I need to look at the blankets to see if I can find a light pair that will go over my giant feet.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
[quote=abbydog]Try a pair of down booties, maybe a Alpaca wool sock underneath,

This if it gets too cold for my 1,000 gram Danners. The Danners don't have insulation over the sole so they act like a heat sink. I added alpaca felt inner soles over the Vietnam style mesh inner soles and this helps immensely.

The Black "Mouse Boots" worked better for me than the White "Bunny Boots" in extreme cold, down to 54 below.

The boot blankets just were too big and clumsy although they did work. The down booties with a chemical warmer were far better, quieter, and plenty warm. The Alpaca socks are surprisingly warm, some say 3-4x warmer than wool. If your hiking much bring a second pair to change into once you are on stand. Buffalo, Yak, and Musk Ox, wool are warmer still but really pricey.

If you have sweaty feet use both spray on antiperspirant and talcum powder. This makes a big difference.

If it is really cold I bring a sleeping bag or down blanket with me. With this I can stay comfortable into the single digits, probably much lower just haven't hunted in sub zero weather for a long time, (don't miss it at all). Down booties inside a sleeping bag are great, only problem is they are so comfortable I could doze off.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bwinters
Originally Posted by pointer
Don’t over look the NEOS insulated overshoes. They can be walked in and I’ve used them with uninsulated hikers inside to below -20F

Those look REALLY interesting. I'm thinking add a liner to the over shoe itself and be done with it.

The W. Mountaineering and NEOS are out of stock but I'll likely buy 1 of each and keep the one that fits the need the best.

Keep the ideas coming!
I have the Navigator 5 insulated version. Wool socks, uninsulated Meindl's, and those were sufficient for a bison hunt out of Delta Junction AK in February. I like the built in/stowable gaiter for when more height is required.

Pard scored a pair for his son off Ebay for $40. He wears running shoes or crocs inside them for our Nov. gun season here. I wouldn't be afraid of looking to Ebay for some deals. Not saying the are the bestest option, but I've been very impressed for their cost.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
when i am in a open stand in the cold i use a heater body suit keeps me warm all day

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have used the boot blankets a couple of times, hunting deer in Iowa in December. I find that they work pretty well, better than any heavier boots I have found.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Also, the Hot Hands shoe insoles will work quite well too.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

I agree that the boot blankets are very big and clumsy. Carrying them in and out of the woods also seems to be pretty problematic.
When the day comes that I think I may need them, I’m done hunting.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I’ve had a pair of Arctic Shield blankets for years and have had outstanding results. I can wear uninsulated boots hiking in and have the blankets strapped to my pack and even in the coldest temps (single digits here) I can stay on stand in comfort all day.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hancock27
What Abbydog posted, I use down booties (Slippers) put them on after I'm in the stand.
Hardest part is putting my cold boots back on after a sit.
Try dropping some hand warmers in the boots and put some socks over them. If you don't cover them up, they won't get warm enough.
I haven't tried it but in theory it should work.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Granted last was 10yrs ago, but. N. WI , below zero starts to day up in a tree stand. As others said, i chose warm but not bulky winter boots as hiked a fair ways and like to mix in some still hunting. Gave up on changing into dry socks though don’t deny it helped - was too much a dance in the dark before getting in the tree, and no fun once in the tree either. Added insulated boot covers when on stand, and like Teal said, loosen the laces some. Did carpet on stand for a while to get off the metal heat-conductive surface. Could still get cold, but taken together was an improvement.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by efw
I’ve had a pair of Arctic Shield blankets for years and have had outstanding results. I can wear uninsulated boots hiking in and have the blankets strapped to my pack and even in the coldest temps (single digits here) I can stay on stand in comfort all day.

This has been experience with the Arctic shields as well. I wear 400gr Crispi’s in, loosen them up a bit once in the stand, zip on the AS’s with a chemical hand warmer or two tossed in, and my feet are great all day in the coldest conditions.

Fear the crabcat.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Years ago, the Gander Mountain outlet center had 4XL and 5XL hunting bibs on clearance. I bought a couple, sewed the legs shut and together and made like a huge oversuit with an enclosed foot area. Super warm for those sub-zero days. Those have since gone away, now I get a cheaper sleeping bag and sew suspenders on at the top. I store them in a plastic tote by my stand so I don't have to carry them back and forth each time.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
[quote=ejo]Here is what I use in upstate NY:

Mid weight wool socks
Schnee’s hunter ll
Arctic Shield boot blankets

The key is to keep your feet from sweating on the walk in. If your feet get wet or you have to hike far, bring dry socks for when you get into the stand. I would rather have non insulated boots and then add a boot blanket than a 2000 gram boot with wet feet.

My feet are never cold since I use this layered approach. Good luck. [/quot

Excellent advice. For many years we hunted upstate New York and since we were hunting on public land it required very long walks, always uphill, to our spots where we could be free from the hunters staying close to the roads. It's impossible not to get soaking wet with sweat going in even when carrying everything but your base layer when walking/climbing for nearly two hours - even on brutally cold days. Once we got to our stands we pretty much swapped out every article of clothing we wore during the walk and put on dry replacements. Even with dry socks/clothing there is only so long one can sit without getting cold if the temps are in the single digits or even in the teens. At least for me.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Tag. Good thread!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Also wear a warmer hat and keep your face and neck warm. The heat you lose from your head makes your other extremities colder.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 52 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,241
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.