Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Is there much merit in suppressor use where it concerns a .22LR rifle and supersonic hi-vel ammo? I get that a lot of 40gr hi-vel stuff becomes subsonic when shot from a handgun, and thereby increases the effectiveness of a suppressor in that role, but what about bulk "plinker" hi-vel in a rifle? What kind of sound difference is there, and is it worth the effort? Subsonic ammo is an option, I know, but I hear very little discussion about suppressed .22 rifles using anything supersonic. The crack is unavoidable, so is there really any serious sound mitigation?

Now with even more aplomb
BP-B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A 22 rimfire rifle is much quieter with a suppressor, even with high velocity ammo.

A suppressed 22 pistol is noticeably louder than a suppressed 22 rifle, but it’s still a lot quieter than shooting either one without a suppressor.

Shooting suppressed 22s is a lot of fun, even with high velocity ammo.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The “sub sonic” ammo is not necessary to shoot quiet with a suppressor. Any standard velocity ammo should be sub sonic even out of a rifle. The “quiet” ammo is very low powered and won’t cycle many semi autos and is not suitable for any game hunting with exception of the segmented bullets that should anchor small game at reasonable ranges.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shoot SK Standard Performance out of a suppressed rifle. Shoot raccoons in the head at 30 yards and they tip right over. Pretty darn quiet. Did shoot some CCI subsonic out of a Mark IV and though it would not cycle, it was almost totally quiet. I'd have no issues manually cycling the Ruger in return for a completely silent handgun. Pretty fun to mess with.

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good info here.

About to take the suppressor plunge with a 30cal and a rimfire can. Mainly interested in getting centerfire rifle down to rimfire or rimfire magnum noise levels to not disturb the neighbor about 500yds through the woods. I shoot rimfire pretty regularly around the yard as it is. Being able to get rimfire noise down a fair bit would be a bonus, so I could sit on the front porch and shoot without bothering my family inside the house. My main shooting spot (with bench and steel gongs) is about a mile down the road, but it would be nice to shoot more at home when I feel like it. I'm way out in the sticks, but trying to be considerate of the neighbor lady that sold me some of my property in the first place.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lot of good ones out there. I went with TBAC and since then, they have come out with even better options in my opinion. After a bit of trial and error, sticking with around 18" barrel length and ending up around 24" oal. For me and woods, thickets, trucks, atvs, it is just a ton handier at 24" oal. And your neighbor with windows closed probably will not know you are even shooting. Especially true with the rimfire one.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The G44 is a lot of fun suppressed, hold the slide with a thumb to keep it from cycling. The ultimate plinker.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DanInAlaska
A suppressed 22 pistol is noticeably louder than a suppressed 22 rifle, but it’s still a lot quieter than shooting either one without a suppressor.

This was my experience until I got my last rimfire suppressor, a Dead Air Mask. Virtually no first-round pop in a pistol, and much quieter than either of my earlier suppressors (In a pistol). Note that I write "in a pistol" since pretty much any rimfire suppressor will quiet a rifle down to 'extremely quiet'.

As someone noted above 'Standard Velocity' 22 LR ammo is subsonic.

The supersonic crack, whether from a suppressed centerfire or a suppressed rimfire will vary depending on topography and trees. Basically, if there is nothing to bounce the sound back to you (a large open meadow for instance) then the supersonic crack will be much quieter (to your ears).

Shooting in the back yard and don't want the neighbors or the family to hear you==> shoot subsonic or standard velocity rimfire.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
[quote=DanInAlaska]Dead Air Mask. Virtually no first-round pop in a pistol.

That’s good to hear! I ordered one a few weeks ago.

My Surefire Ryder is noticeably better on a rifle than a pistol, so I’m anxious to see how the Mask compares.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Dead air or maybe the only better one is the Thunderbeast take down 22

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have a silencerco sparrow.
Shooting suppressed rimfire is the best. Like shooting a pellet gun.
I’m to the point I hate shooting without a suppressor. A rifle without a threaded barrel is close to a deal breaker.

Looking at a dead air and a qd dedicated .223 suppressor to go with my silencerco sparrow and harvester.

Last edited by jackmountain; 07/07/21.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I have a silencerco sparrow.

A rifle without a threaded barrel is close to a deal breaker.

Any idea what it costs to have a barrel threaded?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If I run standard velocity in my takedown 10/22 with a 12" barrel there's no crack but the same ammo will crack with my 16.5" contender.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The local shop has the Silencershop kiosk, along with a Dead Air Mask and a Gemtech Tracker in stock. I think the pair will fit my budget and do what I need to do. Should funds allow, I'd love to bump up the centerfire can to the Dead Air Nomad for the mounting flexibility. We'll see how it turns out. The review on the Mask look really favorable and I like the lack of first round pop.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JPro
The local shop has the Silencershop kiosk, along with a Dead Air Mask and a Gemtech Tracker in stock. I think the pair will fit my budget and do what I need to do. Should funds allow, I'd love to bump up the centerfire can to the Dead Air Nomad for the mounting flexibility. We'll see how it turns out. The review on the Mask look really favorable and I like the lack of first round pop.

You’re gonna love it.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DanInAlaska
A 22 rimfire rifle is much quieter with a suppressor, even with high velocity ammo.

Shooting suppressed 22s is a lot of fun, even with high velocity ammo.

This exactly.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
AFAIK a suppressor in a trans sonic weapon limits the zone of noise. In subsonic mode it suppresses moreso. EOS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JLimbo
If I run standard velocity in my takedown 10/22 with a 12" barrel there's no crack but the same ammo will crack with my 16.5" contender.

Hmmm...

Most (if not all) standard velocity ammo is subsonic (in any barrel length) and would not have a supersonic crack. Suggest you change to a different brand of 'standard velocity' ammo (if you can find any).

I've had Remington 'subsonic' ammo sometimes (like 3-4 out of 20) give a supersonic crack. Simply because quality control was not very good and they were going supersonic.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My cci standards are hit or miss, some crack and some dont, about 50/50 out of my 10/22s and my tikka t1x. The cci semi auto quiets are the sweet spot if you can find them.

I actually picked up one of the new winchester wildcat sr and was surprised to see it cycle most of my regular cci quiets.

I'm using a silencerco switchback but not in the rifle optimized setup (which is even quieter, but I switch to my pistols a lot)

Last edited by killerv; 07/13/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
CCI SV's
Dead Air Mask
Skip all the experimenting.

Thank me later.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by local_dirt
CCI SV's
Dead Air Mask
Skip all the experimenting.

Thank me later.

Yes and yes

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thunderbeast takedown .22 is a good option as well!

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
The Silencer Co Switchback gets my vote for a rimfire suppressor (link added). If you're looking for good performance on small game when shooting suppressed, go with CCI Segmented Subsonic Hollow-Point (item # 0074 @ 1050fps) for the win-win!

Silencer Co Switchback

[Linked Image from targetsportsusa.com]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
257 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 1,718 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.