Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by pabucktail
I was behind the wall you came up against there in ‘98. The sight of rank upon rank (in the actual number there was in the real attack)coming at us was pretty impressive to say the least.

That might also have been the high water mark of reenacting, at least in the US. It appears to have been a generational thing, far fewer involved nowadays.

That's pretty interesting, I didn't know that. Moving to Alaska removed me from the hobby. It was a really neat activity for a person interested in history, and the camaraderie was outstanding. I imagine these days everyone wanting to whip out a smart phone is the bane of reenacting.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was a Johnny Reb reenactor in my younger days. You're right about the camaraderie. It was great. I don't miss the wool in the hot sun though

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve seen those earthworks there at Snake Spring a few times, but never really strayed too far up off the road. I never heard of any near Claysburg, but lots of interesting stuff gets lost in History. I’ve got a buddy that lives on GunClub Road, so if I see him at P-ville for the car show I’ll ask him. It runs in my mind that I heard of works to protect Morrison’s Cove, but I have no idea where they’d be. Do you happen to know any geo-cache folks? They might be able to tell you.
I know there’s a few graves there on the state line from soldiers who died of illness there, but again, I never did to much exploring.
Mike, it runs in my mind I read that support troops at that time were around a 1 to 1 ratio, but I can’t swear to it. I know that nowadays, there’s 3 or 4 support troops for each one in combat arms, maybe more.
I thought the Army back then employed a lot more civilian contractors due to the rapid expansion of the volunteer units. At that time, not many generals put much thought into logistics as they do today. They’ve come to realize that the best troops in the world aren’t that much unless they’ve got a good base of support troops.
From 85 to 89, I served in a support battalion of the 2nd Brigade, 9th Infantry. My company was mechanical support, meaning if it broke, we fixed it. Another company transported supplies to the forward combat troops and a third company supplied medical support.
All told about 600 people in our battalion.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
7mm,
We may have discussed this, but have you ever seen the trenches on top of
Snake Spring Mountain. Supposedly there are similar earthenworks up by Claysburg and somewhere in Morrison's Cove (Cove Mtn I think)?

I found this one day Turkey hunting. Just bumbling around up there, i got myself twisted around, and kinda lost. Found a house, followed the driveway out, and found a little pavilion with info on it. Cool as hell. Pass over there all the time, never noticed those "ditches". There is a historical marker, but it's right on top, in the turn. You can begin to read it.

The fear was, Lee would use those mountain passes to access Altoona and
destroy the railroads.

Funny you mention this, the July 2021 issue of the Pa. Game News has an article about Game Lands #73. There's a picture of both the entrenchment and the historical marker in the article which mentions they are near Snake Spring.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll have to find that. Be interesting to read. But probably just rehashed what's on the board. Does it show the roofed little kiosk. Or just the highway marker.
The kiosk thing has the good info. And I think it's just someone's personal project.

If you are in the neighborhood.

At the hospital take Upper Snake Spring road to the T.
Turn left, it's at the top of the mountain.
There is a private road (I think) with a gate, on the left.
The kiosk is back that road.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
From 85 to 89, I served in a support battalion of the 2nd Brigade, 9th Infantry. My company was mechanical support, meaning if it broke, we fixed it. Another company transported supplies to the forward combat troops and a third company supplied medical support.
All told about 600 people in our battalion.
7mm

I think you may find this interesting, referencing what it took to keep an army in the field. All of this was accomplished with the relatively rudimentary forms of record-keeping and communication available.

https://transportation.army.mil/History/PDF/Peninsula%20Campaign/Rodney%20Lackey%20Article_1.pdf

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I'll have to find that. Be interesting to read. But probably just rehashed what's on the board. Does it show the roofed little kiosk. Or just the highway marker.
The kiosk thing has the good info. And I think it's just someone's personal project.

If you are in the neighborhood.

At the hospital take Upper Snake Spring road to the T.
Turn left, it's at the top of the mountain.
There is a private road (I think) with a gate, on the left.
The kiosk is back that road.

The Game News article is part of series they have been running about various gamelands across the state. Location, size, habitat types and interesting tidbits of info. Just a couple of photos of the marker and the entrenchment along with other photos from the gamelands. No actual information about the civil war except what's on the blue historical marker.

Dale

This space for rent

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 15 invisible), 1,694 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.