Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Hello All, first off, just got back from another fun, safe and successful safari with Kolobe safaris' My wife Rose took at White Rhino, son a Cape Buffalo bull and big Wilderbeast and I a Golden Wilderbeast and a large lion. However, booking and flying with Qatar Airlines was an issue. First let me say that Qatar Airlines is first rate and would gladly fly with them again, But the first leg off the flight from Denver to Dallas was a problem, it turns out we needed to deplane, get our luggage and rifles, yes our rifles, walk around the airport and check in again at Qatar airlines, Who knew, not I as they were all under Qatar. So as we arrived Joberg. SA we had no rifles and had to use the PH'S rifles. Which for gunfolks, is a pretty big frikken deal! Next after getting to Doha and having a nice long layover. A half hour before boarding customs/security came and got us and took us to their office. to make short, they kept our ammo because we didn't list it on some unkown form, possibly the declarations form, we didn't have time to agrue so we lost nearly a 1000.00 worth of ammo, .375 H+H, 404 Jefferies and 416 Rigby. So if anyone chooses this route, please check into these issues before leaving so you aren't put in that situation either, Good hunting.

Retired Deputy Sheriff, 30 years gunsmithing and grip making, full time stag grip maker for 22 years.
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Precisely the reason why I book my trips through Steve Turner's, TWG.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by EdM

Nailed it. Travel with Guns is top notch.

Well worth the money spent.

Last edited by BlackHunter; 06/24/21.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by EdM

Yep.

RS

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Never had any problems with Gracy either, and Bruce was always in Joberg at the SAP`s check in.
Never wanted to get into trouble in Africa...tho a coupla bucks goes a long way.

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Emirates used to be my favorite airline. Now it’s Qatar. But I don’t bother with a rifle. Simplifies things. Using them again n August to Joberg, then SA Airlinks to Kasane.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have a two word solution for those guys running into travel problems with guns: CAMP GUNS. The PH I hunt with in Namibia has excellent guns at reasonable rates. Easy Peasy

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have used camp rifles on the last 10 safaris- 3 elephants, 2 buffalo, a leopard, 2 crocs, 2 hippos, and a truck load of plains game. I will be using another one for buff and plains game in Namibia in September. Figure that over the years I have saved at least $10k in fees and a lot more in aggravation factors......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
10K in fees? You're saying you've saved $1000 fees on each of your last 10 safaris. I don't get your numbers.

Now my circumstance is different than yours, I'm Canadian.

Here is my experience.
Canadian Export Permit: free if I do it myself. It's easy.
Netherlands Transit Permit: free. It's easy.
KLM: no penalties or fees for travelling with a gun, just make sure you and your travel agent properly advise them making sure to cross t's and dot i's.
South Africa pre-approved SAPs Firearms Permit. Let's say $300. I could do it myself, but Anne Gaines-Burrell of Air 2000 Hunter's Support makes it so easy that it would be stupid not to hire her. I have used a number of her services and my time in the OR Tambo airport is a pleasure. I won't go without it.

Plus I get great pleasure out of using my own rifle and my own handloads.

Last edited by AB2506; 06/27/21.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Fly to Joberg, pay a import permit service, fly on to Kasane, pay for a Botswana gun license fee, drive across the border to Namibia, pay for a gun license. Reverse the process coming home and pay again. Or, fly to Joburg, pay a permit service, fly on to Mozambique, pay a gun license import fee. Reverse the process and pay again. It adds up quickly- and that doesn’t include the bribes to grease the skids.....

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
So are all of you this year Africa travelers vaccinated, or what? Do you have to be or just show a negative test?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
In general, a negative test is needed.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by JGRaider
So are all of you this year Africa travelers vaccinated, or what? Do you have to be or just show a negative test?

JG. Still room for Aug2022! 😉

Roy

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Don't tempt me Roy.......!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just back from SAX/DFW, Doha, Joburg, Bulawayo on American/Qatar/Airlink. DFW SUCKS, while Doha, other than 9 hour layover on return was superb and Joberg/Bulawayo sucks as normal. Even without guns and with three negative covid tests both outbound and inbound were a hassle. Especially Joburg and
please do not ask about covid testing there. As I knew before departing nobody (yet) cares if vaccinated just all working the money hassle on covid testing.

Had the “cubbyhole” on the long legs on Qatar and to me well worth the money and their employees all along the way made our USA personnel look like beginners.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hmmm, I love Joburg airport.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It’s the hands out, covid test protocol, health form to enter/exit. Each flight we had two checkpoints for our covid test forms on one
flight etc. Guns arE simple if you have a person from Afton,
African Sky etc on meet and great doing the payoff beforehand. I guess I am just getting out of patience as I MATURE into late seventies with all the MONEY GRABBING in every direction.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
African airports have great food....Jo Burg and Namibia !

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

273 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 33 invisible), 1,382 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,570
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.