Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
erich Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I took up bowfishing again after about a 60 yr layoff. Back them it was a cut off coffee can for a reel. Now I have a commercial version that works about the same way, sliders on the arrow make it a lot easier. I went out the other day and killed a few and while the reel worked well shooting it is kind of a pain when you miss to get it all back on the reel without it getting tangled up. I've been looking at a couple of the bottle type reels any preference between the Cajun Winch and the AMS Pro?

Last edited by erich; 05/23/20.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
BP-B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I've used both over several years, I'm using the Cajun this year - but both will serve you well.

I've worn out two of the AMS Pros - they break after two-three seasons in my experience.

The Cajun seems to be a bit smoother on the reel in, and it's a bit more compact on my set-up - YMMV.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I tolerated the old Saunders shoot through reel (no longer made).
AMS is usable, not perfect.
Hate that damn "POK" sound they make at the shot.

Thought about a Muzzy LVX and some type of stabilizer reel.
But bug dope and me don't get along anymore, end of May and I'm pretty much off the creeks and out of the woods til deer season.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Go with the Muzzy reel and and a solid reel seat like the RPM. A shoot through rod is a help too. The best I’ve used is made by a guy in Illinois I think. I’ll try and get up a pic of my set up. That’s all we used when we shot tournaments every weekend.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I can’t remember which reel seat this is but it’s a very good one.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

erich Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Well I had a fun season last year and decided to upgrade to the muzzy XD-Pro lever reel and shoot thru rod. I really like it, havent been on the water yet but took the barb off an arrow and shot it about fifty times n my range. Then got rid of some guns and bought a Muzzy LV-X that should be here next week and will use the old recurve and wrap reel for guests and back up. I see that Muzzy has a bottle reel that is reasonable and no buttons to push to shoot so maybe one of those on the back up next year..

Looking forward to getting on the water as soon as the "Honey Do's" are done. Small boat and dirt bike are in the trailer already to go.

Last edited by erich; 04/01/21.

Make mine a Minaska

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Hammer time - the boat is supposed to be ready tomorrow at the shop, and the carp should be rolling here now, or very shortly.

Good luck with you Muzzy set up - post a review when you get it wet.

Last edited by AH64guy; 04/01/21.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
I miss shooting big carp on the Potomac in April

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve used several of the “regular” reels marketed as bow fishing reels but I always tear them up. We shoot a lot of 30-60# carp and they tear the guts out of those reels, including the muzzy. Many years ago we started shooting the AMS retriever set ups and they last a lot longer. For smaller fish I’d be happy with a muzzy reel and I do prefer their ease of retrieval but like the toughness of the AMS and especially the lighter weight.

erich Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Early review.

I love the bow Muzzy LV-X and the Muzzy reel. The bow is great, I can do all the set up myself as no need for a limb compressor, nothing to keep timed and simple adjustment for weight and draw. I was trying to set the limb stops and and did lock it up drawn but was able to hold the string and kick the limb with my foot to release it. The bow is very smooth drawing and I have a roller guide on order. The bow is heavy which I wouldn't like for a hunting bow where I'm going to carry it out in the field but on the boat it is just fine. I've taken it out and shot it a number of times and again no draw backs. The bow comes with a line puller attached to take the strain off the reel on big fish.

I've watched a number of videos on setting up an V-X for bow fishing and really am liking the idea of tying the string to the rear of the arrow with a spinner. You can't draw the bow if you forget to release the reel and it is very easy to switch arrows, it seems to shoot just fine that way. The safety slides work better with the wrap reel.

pics in a bit

Make mine a Minaska

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have a couple of the AMS reels and much prefer the muzzy reels for speed and ease of use.

You can't horse in big fish with them constantly or you break the retrieve pin....biut you can't horse in ig fish at all with the AMS....tears up that rubber wheel.

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Been beating up Tilapia down here. The Zebco 808 has been awesome. Havent torn it up yet (4yrs) and have shot everything from Tilapia to rays and mahi.

FWIW the bottle reels with a breakaway float feature are the go-to for the real beasts. (Gators, cobia or other similar dinosaurs) as there isnt a bowreel out there that could tame more than 1 of those.

We do shoot arrows or bolts that are actually tied up to large spinning rod outfits once in a while. That setup is finicky tho

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
A heavy duty closed face with 30# test will do well. Stay away from the cheap reels with plastic drag gears as it doesn't take long for a couple of big carb to strip them.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I use both the Cajun and the ams on my recurves for pike fishing.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
722 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 75 invisible), 2,731 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,623
Posts18,398,611
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.