Barrel must be stamped 270 Winchester.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
It's funny that no one has talked about rifle fit. crazy

But I guess it's rare that you would find an off the rack rifle that fits, so it is something that has to be corrected later...that is, if the rest of the rifle suits you.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I read the list my first thought was what I called overall comfort in handling, carrying and aiming. In other words, how the stock and rifle fit me.

New 2 99's , Wyo and BC 30Cal and others of us are expressing variants of this, I think. That comfort/fit would be my # 2, crowding close to my number 1, which would be action.

Smooth, balanced, natural -- and when the stock comes to shoulder the sights are in line with my eye on the target. I've only owned one rifle that had all of those things but once I pick the action, I'm looking for as close as possible to that kind of fit.

I'm talking about a hunting rifle, of course.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fir me it's the action first, cartridge second, unless of course it's stamped 270 Winchester .
Unless I plan on rebarreling that is deal breaker !
I am a single shot looney as far as hunting rifles go , I adjust stocks to fit me, and as far as irons go those ate in the fore front , but I can live with a scope mounted rifle
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 07/18/21.

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I am still waiting on a 7.62x54r barrel for a Pro Hunter. It should be here very soon.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
I'm going with stock fit !

The human body is adjustable. Probably more important for a shotgun or a jump-shoot rifle.

Price and accuracy for me. I don't have any beauty queens (well, two of them were, once!) , but they shoot- and were relatively inexpensive. I just wanna kill and eat things.

Giterdone!

Last edited by las; 07/21/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
I'm going with stock fit !

The human body is adjustable. Probably more important for a shotgun or a jump-shoot rifle.

Price and accuracy for me. I don't have any beauty queens (well, two of them were, once!) , but they shoot- and were relatively inexpensive. I just wanna kill and eat things.

Giterdone!

This makes sense. I think it's fair to say that most off the rack rifles need to be tweaked in order to work their best. For the majority of rifle buyers, I wonder how many get rejected because of fit versus the sticker price? Put another way, is fit so important that price is secondary? ex. I wanted to build a 6x45, so this 223 Axis morphed into what you see.

When I check out rifles these days, most are polymer stocked and made for the company mannequin "Mr. Average". I almost always end up modifying or replacing the stock to get what I want. I rarely care who made it because it isn't going to be the maker's rifle by the time I'm done.

Consider the "Savage Axis" above. It started as an Axis, but it now has a new barrel, trigger, bolt handle and stock. The only thing that's Savage about this rifle is the receiver. I chose this because of the low price. I knew that most of it was being removed. So, is it a Savage, or a Frankenrifle? I call it a Frankenrifle. smile

Mr. Mannequin

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Depends on the reason for acquiring a piece and how it might be put to use.
A build project rifle might give priority to action type since weight, stock, barrel length are all variables over which some control can be exercised during the build.
With a hunting blind rifle where shots might be made in more than one direction, a short barrel length might be the first concern.
A varmint rifle for prairie dog shooting might put priority on a relatively long and heavy weight barrel.

Sometimes price and availability trump the other considerations....that was the case with my first center fire rifle: a "sporterized" 1891 Argentine Mauser. And also with my last two acquisitions: a .460 S&W TC Encore barrel( MGM barrels were not available last fall) and a Ruger American 6.5 Creedmoor (sale priced comparably with a new TC Encore stainless barrel!).

Looking back, action type has typically been my first consideration followed by price. Bolt, falling block, kipplauf. Then size of gun kitty when something was available. The other five aspects are generally a wash. I did pick up a short barreled synthetic stocked bolt carbine based solely on weight once when afflicted with tennis elbow and handling an 8+lb piece was painful.

Rifle attribute priorities have also varied over time for me as I learn more about how these attributes impact accuracy, shootability, portability, and evolution of general rifle loonieness.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Trigger…it makes the thing go boom when you want it to go boom. I don’t consider it to be part of the action.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
This rifle went afield once and managed to take a whitetail. I held onto it while it worked its magic. It's a single shot with a laminated stock. 6.5 Grendel. Heavy, at 10 lb, but I like it.

It's heavy because I replaced the plastic OEM stock with a laminated one. Like you, I don't worry too much about weight. Next to action type, I am most concerned with the stock material. You have to be able to beat a rock headed liberal with it and not have it break. Then shoot some more and not have it lose its zero.

I consider beating rock headed liberals with my rifle secondary to using a aluminum baseball bat. I finally came to the conclusion that endurance is more important than that satisfying sound wood makes when it hits something solid.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
471 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 41 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.