Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Buzz, there are 100's of things that could be done to reverse course. And there are 100's of others who would have pimped it if not Randy. Is anyone claiming otherwise? The difference with Randy is that he worked his way into the "real" hunter crowd and we trusted him. But it was going to happen regardless of Randy. Ultimate responsibility lies with AZGFD. Randy was just one of their tools.

GB1

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I think we can all agree on this.

Originally Posted by Greenhorn
The information age is killing hunting as we know it. That's a fact.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by SLM

Truth

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Originally Posted by SLM

Truth

Yep it’s rampant.. I bout shiit when I heard Randy has videos “how to” apply for different states. These new “hunters” fry their brain playing video games?? Wtf

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I was screaming at my radio when I’ve heard 3 different podcast talk about a unit 4 times that I’ve been able to draw pretty easily for years. Haven’t been able to draw it for 2 years now. One of them being the person of discussion here.

It’s a viscous circle, I hate the new info craze, but you almost have to keep up with it. Pretty easy to predict trends when you have a couple “celebrities” blasting a unit. I have to laugh when you hear people like Newberg claiming they do “trick photography” so people don’t know where they are. In one of his NM videos, he showed a trail head marker that was pretty obvious. The next year, a buddy that goes in there every year said the trail head had twice the traffic it normally has. Why even show it? It may not be where he was hunting, but it’s where someone hunts.

Unfortunately, it’s only going to get worse.

IC B2

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
And get worse it will, way worse. I feel bad for guys that have to draw to hunt their own state, that’s gonna get worse as well, as SLM explained

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Jud that is exactly what Utah is. Everything is a draw. There are no over the counter tags here. Won’t lie, it sucks. I drew a premium deer tag in Idaho in 2016. I doubt I will ever draw the tag again.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Springcove
Jud that is exactly what Utah is. Everything is a draw. There are no over the counter tags here. Won’t lie, it sucks. I drew a premium deer tag in Idaho in 2016. I doubt I will ever draw the tag again.

I think Arizona and New Mexico is too. Guess we’re lucky here, we can hunt 3 species of deer, 2 species of elk bear and cougar every year, drive a hour south to Oregon and do the same, or 6 hours east to Idaho and same there. Already feeling the squeeze in Idaho, shorter seasons, picking a unit for whitetail, tags selling out in record times, huge influx in applications. Guess I’ll just ride er out, not gonna last too much longer. Hell, 6 years ago the boy and I could drive over to Lewiston on thanksgiving day and buy 2 whitetail tags a piece, sure miss those days, never happen again

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
What’s missed by a lot of guys like Newberg is, they have the schedule and money to flood draws for themselves and staff so they are almost guaranteed tags. A lot of people don’t have the resources to flood Western states draws to “guarantee” themselves tags every year.

In 3 years, NM has added ~100,000 applicants to the pool. At some point, people have to see they are not creating more opportunity but actually decreasing the likelihood of opportunity. He and many use the crutch that the answer is more hunters/money equates to a “bigger pie” due to revenue and conservation. In an arid state such as NM, the logic doesn’t work. Throw in the LO conflict and things start getting even messier. The landscape doesn’t always support the “bigger pie”.

Last edited by SLM; 07/13/21.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Agreed. The good days are gone. Idaho is a real gut punch for me. Lots of friends and family. Kill anything big you make a phone call and the horses are on the way…Well I will keep putting in for points and crossing my fingers.

You do have it good up there.

IC B3

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It’s sad what social media has done to hunting. Randy isn’t the only one who was pimping AZ OTC either. Hush, OnX, Shed crazy, muley freak, Brian call and others were also. Couple that with companies like GoHunt and of course draw odds are going to tank in not only AZ but every other western state. Not to mention “stimulus” money for many people.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Compound bows have been around for over 40 years I used to buy over the counter archery tags in trophy deer unit in Arizona easily decades after compound bows were introduced.

As long as you and Randy make a buck its all justified in your head. How does BHA rectify the fact that they are fewer and fewer hunting opportunities due to BHA celebrities pimping out publics ands? And at the same time BHA leadership are pushing to shut down predator management. Amazing that BHA members still buy into your lies and BS.

Originally Posted by BuzzH
Originally Posted by ctsmith
What happened to the deer rifle tags and OTC archery tags in the unit Randy pimped?

Its simple. The more an area is pimped, the more specifics that are given, the more the internet warriors are coming. Not hard to figure out. There is a balance. I'm not at all against Randy in his early years. I thought he struck a nice balance. As a matter of fact I was for him and actually enjoyed watching his episodes.

But he crossed the line and sold out the farm. His pimping episodes stick out like a sore thumb and hurt a lot of locals. Randy knows this. He is no dummy. It was a calculated decision. Where Randy got caught is COVID, which to his defense, increased all outdoor activities including hunting. There was going to be an increase in applications without Randy having pimped it. But now his face is on most all dart boards for those who have always hunted deer in southern AZ.

I could make one regulation change and reverse whatever has caused the jump in AZ bowhunting...fact.

Take away the training wheels...you could probably let the handful of longbow and recurve guys remaining in the sport have 2 tags each and extend the season by a month.

Technology in archery equipment, range finders, trigger releases, sights, cams, arrows, broadheads...that's the problem. Not Randy, not social media, not the AZFG.

Nobody willing to give up anything that makes it easier...same with rifle and muzzleloader hunters too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't forget to lump in forums, such as this one, with "social media" that has made information easier. Lots of first time, but not just one time, hunters to the Western states got all the information they needed from sites just like this one.

Between decreasing draw odds (by both the number of applicants and reduction in tags), price, and complication of applications it's about made me just say to hell with it and just travel with Hank and chase birds wherever we decide to...

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pointer
Don't forget to lump in forums, such as this one, with "social media" that has made information easier. Lots of first time, but not just one time, hunters to the Western states got all the information they needed from sites just like this one.

Between decreasing draw odds (by both the number of applicants and reduction in tags), price, and complication of applications it's about made me just say to hell with it and just travel with Hank and chase birds wherever we decide to...

I will agree that forums have changed hunting as well but on many forums members aren’t just posting units to hunt or openly discussing their draw strategies. Many times it is done over private messages and not shared with others.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Judman

Naw, we had a shiity football team, didn't even make it to the playoffs!!😂

I do like wrestling though.

Oh %*^#&$**.........a wrestler, one of those guys! Have a buddy in Louisiana who wrestled in college. His motto was/is "if I grab 'hold of something I intend to tear it off, and that includes gonads, eyes, ears, noses, etc". He's only 5'9" and 285 though. I'm bettin you're much the same fight/philosophy wise. Buzz probably couldn't swat the files off his azzz.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Buzz probably couldn't swat the files off his azzz.

LOL!

Too funny! laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Stimulus money and a lot of people making more off unemployment than they were working had a big affect on applicant numbers in NM this year IMO.

I think an unintended consequence of BHA, Newberg and others pushing the “this is your public land” is they have fanned the resident, non-resident fire into a raging wildfire. As we all know, where the wildlife resides is irrelevant.

Right or wrong, residents are looking at the NR/outfitter quotas as the easy button.

Originally Posted by 805
It’s sad what social media has done to hunting. Randy isn’t the only one who was pimping AZ OTC either. Hush, OnX, Shed crazy, muley freak, Brian call and others were also. Couple that with companies like GoHunt and of course draw odds are going to tank in not only AZ but every other western state. Not to mention “stimulus” money for many people.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Judman

Naw, we had a shiity football team, didn't even make it to the playoffs!!😂

I do like wrestling though.

Oh %*^#&$**.........a wrestler, one of those guys! Have a buddy in Louisiana who wrestled in college. His motto was/is "if I grab 'hold of something I intend to tear it off, and that includes gonads, eyes, ears, noses, etc". He's only 5'9" and 285 though. I'm bettin you're much the same fight/philosophy wise. Buzz probably couldn't swat the files off his azzz.

Haven't seen anyone lately with files on their azzz....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You said you like to look at big antelope......self guided NM.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You said you like to look at big antelope......self guided NM.

Damned Nice Pronghorns JG !

I killed my biggest one on a big ranch close to Nara Visa, NM.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 7 invisible), 1,601 guests, and 734 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,547
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.