Print Thread
Hop To
D
devnull Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Looking for a springer in .22 for the back yard. It'll be used for squirrels, chipmunks and general plinking. I'm most interested in accuracy and a good trigger. The R9 does seem to advertise the speed of the Diana. What would you recommend?

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Do you want to use a scope?

D
devnull Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Cluggins
Do you want to use a scope?

Yes, would prefer to.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Scopes on break barrels are often frustrating when it comes to accuracy. The barrel doesn't always land back in the same exact position when it is closed. Just a very slight difference makes a big difference 25 yards down range. With sights they are fine because the sights are on the barrel.

An underlever springer solves this problem. The Diana 460 is the one I have my eyes on.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Scopes on break barrels are often frustrating when it comes to accuracy. The barrel doesn't always land back in the same exact position when it is closed. Just a very slight difference makes a big difference 25 yards down range. With sights they are fine because the sights are on the barrel.

An underlever springer solves this problem. The Diana 460 is the one I have my eyes on.

That has not been my experience. I have owned several break barrels and 1 underlever (RWS M46). Accuracy has more to do with overall quality and power level of rifle than how it is cocked or where the scope is placed on the action. My most accurate spring rifles have been break barrels with scopes mounted on the action - 2) R7's and a FWB 124 to be exact. Closely followed by an R9. The RWS rifles have been good, but not up to the Beeman R series rifles that I have owned. Triggers were not as good and the overall cocking and shooting/spring action was not as smooth, which I believe made them slightly more difficult to shoot well.

Scopes must be mounted solidly with quality mounts. I think this is where many of the package deals go wrong. They put on cheapo .22 lr mounts and they slip and slide on the rail. Scopes need to be of decent quality with etched reticles. I like Nikon Prostaff EFR 3-9's.

I'm considering selling my R-9, PM me if interested. My hunting spots are being developed and the R7 is all I really need for target and smaller game.

Last edited by centershot; 07/09/21.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by devnull
Looking for a springer in .22 for the back yard. It'll be used for squirrels, chipmunks and general plinking. I'm most interested in accuracy and a good trigger. The R9 does seem to advertise the speed of the Diana. What would you recommend?

The Beeman is a superior rifle to the RWS. Doubt you will get advertised speeds from either. I get 650fps with 14.3 gr. Crosman Premiers out of my R9..........but who cares? They are both low powered weapons that rely on accuracy to get the pellet in the right spot. The Beeman has a better trigger and spring mechanism and is overall a higher quality weapon which translates to a more accurate rifle. It also costs more....

I have shot hundreds of Rock Chucks with spring air rifles and the R9 in .22cal. is my weapon of choice. An accurate head shot puts them right to sleep.

This is an older picture, but you get the idea.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by centershot

That has not been my experience. I have owned several break barrels and 1 underlever (RWS M46). Accuracy has more to do with overall quality and power level of rifle than how it is cocked or where the scope is placed on the action. My most accurate spring rifles have been break barrels with scopes mounted on the action - 2) R7's and a FWB 124 to be exact. Closely followed by an R9. The RWS rifles have been good, but not up to the Beeman R series rifles that I have owned. Triggers were not as good and the overall cocking and shooting/spring action was not as smooth, which I believe made them slightly more difficult to shoot well.

Scopes must be mounted solidly with quality mounts. I think this is where many of the package deals go wrong. They put on cheapo .22 lr mounts and they slip and slide on the rail. Scopes need to be of decent quality with etched reticles. I like Nikon Prostaff EFR 3-9's.

Considering selling my R-9, PM me if interested.

Obviously as you go up in cost/quality the issues are less prevalent. This thread touches on the topic pretty well.

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=122567.0

This write up touches on the various types of springers.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/200...nderlevers-advantages-and-disadvantages/

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The break barrels that I mentioned will shoot 10 shots into a hole slightly larger than the pellet at 10 yards (in my basement). They have done so year in and year out for a decade. Good enough for me.

I have seen some Chinese junk that would not keep 10 shots in a soda can at 10 yards also. Not in the same league as R series Beemans.

I guess what I am saying is that I have no reservations about consistent accuracy with a high quality scoped break barrel or underlever. It does seem that there should be an advantage by not moving the barrel. I just saw no difference in actual use. Beeman's R series locking mechanisms are very solid and precise.

Luckily they make both types (as well as side levers and PCP's) so everyone can be happy.

FWIW: I think the TX200 is very near the pinnacle of sporting spring air rifles, Not sure it would outshoot an R9, but a wonderfully made rifle and one to look at if there is no budget and you are not packing it around much (9.2# bare rifle). The 350 Magnum is also a very big/heavy rifle (4' Long & 8.2# bare rifle). Something that is surprising to new shooters when they pull them out of the box is just how big and heavy some of these rifles are.

Magnum usually translates into harder to cock, harder to shoot well, louder and twangier on the shot. Maybe a bit faster but not worth the tradeoffs for me (much like centerfire magnums).

You may have noticed that I mention R-Series Beeman several times. There is a world of difference between the R-Series made in Germany rifles and the Beemans imported from China.

Those are a few of my observations from the last 40 years shooting air rifles. Hope it helps.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have no reservations about the consistent accuracy of a quality break barrel air rifle.

My springers have been an RWS 34 in 177, RWS 34, RWS 52 and a TX200 all in .22. Two break barrel, a side lever and a underlever, no problems with any of them.

My gas rams have been Beeman Crow Magnum in .20 and 25 and an RWS 350 N-Tec in 22. All are break-barrels that will likely shoot well long after I'm gone.

Look at the warranty, a quality rifle will be lifetime, look at the reviews to see how backyard friendly (noisy) they are too.

Centershot is correct, accuracy and ability to place the pellet trumps speed in a springer.
I do enjoy my "Magnums"although they aren't as easy as a smooth springer...

Good luck choosing just one, I couldn't...

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I wouldn't even get a springer for what you describe. I have two springers, 3 multi pump pneumatics and a CO2 rifle. Out of all of them my Sheridan 2260 CO2 rifle is by far the most fun to plink with. It is accurate, isn't the least bit hold sensitive, doesn't tire your arm out from pumping on a long afternoon plinking session, doesn't require an air rifle rated scope, doesn't vibrate screws loose and doesn't weigh as much as a fuggin elephant rifle. It is light weight, easy to load and operate, not overly loud, shoots 1" 5 shot groups at 30 yards with cheap Crosman pellets,, tears the shyt out of soup cans and kills the hell out of rabbits and squirrels. My Walther Parrus break barrel is more accurate, more powerful and flatter shooting but it is also as heavy as a fuggin elephant rifle, long as a cane pole, hold sensitive and loud and twangy.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (10gaugeman, 240NMC, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 257_X_50, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,648
Posts18,455,427
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.