Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

97 in the shade here in Podunk right now.........

sticky 23% RH

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by tikkanut

97 in the shade here in Podunk right now.........

sticky 23% RH

92 here with 70% RH and more rain predicted for later today.

Low desert environment.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OldHat
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Dess
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
A cistern in the desert? I've heard some far fetched shirt but this one is out there. Man can't survive in one place without a plentiful water supply.

I have a buried cistern. It was originally used by the well to store water so the pump only ran when needed. Well was dry when we bought the place, but we plan on storing rainwater in it. The water collected doesn't all need to come from the roof. A ground level collector can easily feed into a buried tank. One inch of rain on an acre is 27,000 gallons. Most is lost to evaporation, transpiration, runoff, and other means.

For the moment, we are looking to collect non-potable water for bathroom use and use jugs of potable water for drinking and cooking. It's not ideal, nor easy, but it is doable.

Here's a reference: Modern Potable Rainwater Harvesting: System Design, Construction, and Maintenance by Daniel M Brown
Do you own the water rights to collect the rainwater? This is going on in OR right now. People can't have rain barrels because someone else has the rights to all the runoff from their property. It doesn't matter how long your cistern has been there. It's who owns the water rights on the land that matters. If this western drought continues, many people are going to get bit when the rights holders send in the sheriff to shut down their water collecting systems. It's not theirs to collect.

Many desert homes were broken off from ranches that sold off land that wasn't good for grazing. They didn't sell the water rights along with the land.

I understand the legal requirements here, but the sad part is I doubt many of those ranchers have an effective way to retain the water runoff from heavy rains. I mean it's pretty obvious the most effective retention system is immediate capture with retention in an enclosed cistern which greatly limits losses. If the home owner uses the water it is almost certainly discharged back into the water table through drain field leaching or garden watering.

I don't think people are thinking very deeply about this subject.

You're missing something here. Heavy rains? We haven't had a rain over 1/2" in several years. 1" rains are a pipe dream. Runoff is almost nonexistant. There is no excess water to fill a cistern or pond. This area gets 10" of water a year, mostly in the winter. Most of it soaks and and the soil is bone dry by June. This area is great for agriculture but it's all from irrigation from mountain snowfall. Without that, nothing can grow here but sagebrush. You need to find land with a good strong spring or creek and have the rights to use them. You won't get it by storing rainfall when there is none.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
66 degrees and overcast with plenty of water here in mid Michigan.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Ole GTC could add some of his wisdom to this thread if he was still with us.

I miss Greg’s posts.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Never been in a desert, lived in the Appalachians all my life. Quite a few people around here live what I'd call a low profile life. They do a little seasonal or handyman work usually for cash or barter. Some have a little farm or at least enough land to put out a garden. Between the the free medical /dental clinic and the food bank they get by. Mountain land without power or county water can be relatively affordable.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Podunk is in central Utah @ 6K' elevation

The San Rafael Swell to the east is wide open high desert...empty & unforgiving

Current temps are rather unusual and unwanted to say the least

Summer nights commonly drop to low 50's...but not lately

This higher desert country can be as cold as a whale digger's azz

Or as hot as the gates of hell......now.......

It's easy to head out there and just disappear for the day.....or two...just bring water grin

https://www.motortrend.com/features/2110-black-dragon-canyon/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Podunk is in central Utah @ 6K' elevation

The San Rafael Swell to the east is wide open high desert...empty & unforgiving

Current temps are rather unusual and unwanted to say the least

Summer nights commonly drop to low 50's...but not lately

This higher desert country can be as cold as a whale digger's azz

Or as hot as the gates of hell......now.......

It's easy to head out there and just disappear for the day.....or two...just bring water grin

https://www.motortrend.com/features/2110-black-dragon-canyon/

I dig whales. They're supercool! smile

Last edited by ironbender; 07/08/21. Reason: to add one of these: ;)

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
I
iHunt20 Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Thanks for the really informative replies. I don't know how this thread would benefit .gov but I commend the suspicion.

I'm currently in Wisconsin and I haven't encountered any like-minded people. None. Lots of people, here and elsewhere, talk a big game but will never live a self-sufficient life. Even the Amish here. It's a rare breed that will.

I'm seeking high elevation and workable natural resources, but plentiful resources is obviously a better situation. I was looking at northern NM. Southern Colorado was looking beautiful until I looked into the absolutely insane regulations and restrictions on land "ownership." Too high a neighboring population anyway.

My dream was/is remote Alaska but getting there and getting set up would eat much of my savings. I would also probably be completely alone for the rest of my time.

Weather patterns are changing, and will be dramatically different in the decades to come. Everything will be. Calm and stable periods on this planet are the exception, not the rule. Trying to get set up ahead of that in anticipation. Political and economic chaos right now are only the beginning in anticipation and are a waste of time to concern oneself with.

We're entering the cyclical ~12k year disaster. Solar flares during this recurring period of weakened magnetic field will take out the modern electric age (the 1859 Carrington event was just the beginning of the current weakening of the Earth's magnetic field and the accompanying polar excursion we're observing now.) People and government will get really ugly, then survivors will adapt. I don't plan on participating in that.

The galactic cloud that causes this event (and that affects the entire solar systems, observable right now across our own and neighboring systems) will eventually lead to a micronova of our sun. The energy, heat, ions, and material impacts will be catastrophic. This has all happened repeatedly. Low elevations of earth will flood as the earth tilts 90° just as it always has. The poles and equator will be much different than they were (the magnetic poles are drifting and accelerating already). Some ancient religious stories are based in truth. This is also evident by alternating layers of polar and tropical fossils in the polar regions.

People will survive; they always do. But not many. I'm in my mid-30s and going at things alone, I only hope to make it past everybody's initial freaking out. A lot of what will happen past that isn't in anybody's control, aside from being in a strategic location. Will be quite the experience though. So we have that going for us, which is nice.

A long post to say that I believe the current dry areas on/directly East of the Rockies will become more moderate.

I don't expect a lot of intellectual responses *on any forum, but the fraction that will be might be very helpful and enjoyable on my rare day off.

Last edited by iHunt20; 07/08/21.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What a nut case, you have found fertile ground here 😂

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

OK...........

Iffin U do come to Utah......

Bring UR own water and some sort of shade.....

Oh yea....welcome to the fire........

Like Travis always says,........now GFY

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Good

For

You.............

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your second post was more entertaining than your first.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
One of the best things you could do for survival is have a family.

Politics is War by Other Means
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by iHunt20
Thanks for the really informative replies. I don't know how this thread would benefit .gov but I commend the suspicion.

I'm currently in Wisconsin and I haven't encountered any like-minded people. None. Lots of people, here and elsewhere, talk a big game but will never live a self-sufficient life. Even the Amish here. It's a rare breed that will.

I'm seeking high elevation and workable natural resources, but plentiful resources is obviously a better situation. I was looking at northern NM. Southern Colorado was looking beautiful until I looked into the absolutely insane regulations and restrictions on land "ownership." Too high a neighboring population anyway.

My dream was/is remote Alaska but getting there and getting set up would eat much of my savings. I would also probably be completely alone for the rest of my time.

Weather patterns are changing, and will be dramatically different in the decades to come. Everything will be. Calm and stable periods on this planet are the exception, not the rule. Trying to get set up ahead of that in anticipation. Political and economic chaos right now are only the beginning in anticipation and are a waste of time to concern oneself with.

We're entering the cyclical ~12k year disaster. Solar flares during this recurring period of weakened magnetic field will take out the modern electric age (the 1859 Carrington event was just the beginning of the current weakening of the Earth's magnetic field and the accompanying polar excursion we're observing now.) People and government will get really ugly, then survivors will adapt. I don't plan on participating in that.

The galactic cloud that causes this event (and that affects the entire solar systems, observable right now across our own and neighboring systems) will eventually lead to a micronova of our sun. The energy, heat, and ions released will be catastrophic. This has all happened repeatedly. Low elevations of earth will flood as the earth tilts 90° just as it always has. The poles and equator will be much different than they were (the magnetic poles are drifting and accelerating already). Some ancient religious stories are based in truth. This is also evident by alternating layers of polar and tropical fossils in the polar regions.

People will survive; they always do. But not many. I'm in my mid-30s and going at things alone, I only hope to make it past everybody's initial freaking out. A lot of what will happen past that isn't in anybody's control, aside from being in a strategic location. Will be quite the experience though. So we have that going for us, which is nice.

A long post to say that I believe the current dry areas on/directly East of the Rockies will become more moderate.

I don't expect a lot of intellectual responses *on any forum, but the fraction that will be might be very helpful and enjoyable on my rare day off.

With respect, I was formerly the president of the county astronomical association and you don't know what you're talking about. Micronova my ass.

But...if you're from Wisconsin, why not go off the grid up by Rhinelander or on the UP?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good Lord.

And to think I wasted my time with a serious answer. eek

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Water can be hauled in outhouse, or compacting toilet.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
I
iHunt20 Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by iHunt20

The galactic cloud that causes this event (and that affects the entire solar systems, observable right now across our own and neighboring systems) will eventually lead to a micronova of our sun. The energy, heat, and ions released will be catastrophic. This has all happened repeatedly. Low elevations of earth will flood as the earth tilts 90° just as it always has. The poles and equator will be much different than they were (the magnetic poles are drifting and accelerating already). Some ancient religious stories are based in truth. This is also evident by alternating layers of polar and tropical fossils in the polar regions.

With respect, I was formerly the president of the county astronomical association and you don't know what you're talking about. Micronova my ass.

But...if you're from Wisconsin, why not go off the grid up by Rhinelander or on the UP?

Former county level? That's big time. Cite your claims and I'll listen. Won't hold my breath though.

Wisconsin is nearly at sea level and surrounded by water. I'm looking for something better anyway

Last edited by iHunt20; 07/08/21.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1OntarioJim, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 72 invisible), 2,995 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.