Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bri_guy Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have to figure out how to make my pictures small I ought to post in here.

I have what appears to be a Mauser 98, looks very similar to a 1915. However, there isn't a single marking on the gun, no manufacturing stamp on the receiver and not even a caliber stamping on the barrel?
Any thoughts?

GB1

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bri_guy

I have what appears to be a Mauser 98, looks very similar to a 1915. However, there isn't a single marking on the gun, no manufacturing stamp on the receiver and not even a caliber stamping on the barrel?
Any thoughts?

Yeah, thinking pics would be a must.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

Any thoughts?

I have a neighbor who brought one over for me to look at recently. It was exactly as you described your Mauser - no stamps, nothing on the receiver at all. I have no idea any were put out like that? Maybe someone will know something?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It might have been scrubbed. Is it in military trim and furniture, a sporter, or just a bare action? If it is a complete rifle are there any markings under the wood?

Photos would help.

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dan_oz

Photos would help.

It could be anything, without photos, it doesn't exist.

I saw a thread like this go on for days with everyone stating emphatically that it was this, or that, or the other Mauser. When pics wee finally posted, it was a 1917 Enfield, lol.

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
MY "first thought", to ask what you're planning/hoping to achieve by the ID. That likely telling how "generic versus specifically you need an ID.

There are 'other means 'other than' photo ID and experts to "possibly" ID, at least categorically. The positive, a lot of good information on the Web. Reference one such source at the Website referenced below. Essentially a "line up" with "mug shots"! Quite a few mausers there!

The bad news... A. requires some expertise to use this site. Inferences going in to assist and inferences as 'best guess' possibly achieved, typically not absolute specifics. The fact that for a totally scrubbed mauser action, usually, extrinsic evidence, such as original barrel - even if simply configuration - as well as any stock information gleaned as 'remnant of original yet available.

It's not unusual for a military mauser action to be scrubbed. What is unusual, a military action yet with original barrel, the whole 'kaboodle' to be absolutely scrubbed. 'Obtuse' barrel markings can sometimes provide pivotal clues.

Last shoe. With up to well over a century for the wide genre 98 mausers to be in existence, likely more 'mix & match', builds, rebuilds, re-rebuilds., further mix & match... Get the picture? What even experts view, they realize typically "indicia" of what the action may have been.

Have a look in the 'do it yourself' ID context... http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/mauser_reference.html

Good luck!
Best!
John

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Remove the barreled action from the stock and much information can be gleaned from proof marks and caliber designation found on underside of barrel and action.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

This can be done with Microsoft Paint 3D, if you have it, or GIMP, which is a free download.

Or you can set you smartphone to take tiny little pictures, like my wife does when it's something I'd be inte3rested in seeing.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1minute, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,974 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,526
Posts18,452,842
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.