Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sayonara (goodbye forever), CMP Service Grade M1 Rifles...

GR

GB1

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Garandimal
"But Everybody Knows. . ."

GR

Nice video, and entertaining.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love that easy, rapid fire rhythm they have, you just know you could put all eight into the driver's side window of an Opel Blitz at 300 yards.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

GR

Details?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pabucktail

GR

Details?

Due to the general neglect shown by the Filipino Govt w/r/t Our M1 rifles... most of the 86,000 returns came back w/ pitted receivers and rotten bores.

Hence, a very low percentage of "Service Grade" rifles.

May happen, but the availability of CMP/SG rifles again is doubtful.

Should be plenty of pitted "Specials" w/ the new Criterion Bbl's for a while.

GR

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 5thShock
Love that easy, rapid fire rhythm they have, you just know you could put all eight into the driver's side window of an Opel Blitz at 300 yards.

Like slow-dancin'... when you know you're gunna get laid.

8>)

GR

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
They are addictive. At one time I had five, along with three various 1903 Springfields.
Over the last few years I thinned down to just a single Garand. But is is a restored 6 digit from March, 1942. All correct except for the windage knob.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WStrayer
They are addictive. At one time I had five, along with three various 1903 Springfields.
Over the last few years I thinned down to just a single Garand. But is is a restored 6 digit from March, 1942. All correct except for the windage knob.

Sounds nice.

Have managed to keep it to a reasonable Five.
(Well, Four plus a spare, anyway.)

All Springfields, USGI, different, interesting, and Luck-of-the-draw CMP Service Grades.

One is a 6-Digit that looks like it made the jump into Sainte-Mère-Eglise.

[Linked Image from s10.postimg.cc]

Still, a '44 SA ME2/TE3 Bbl.

Through the process, also got one/ea. for the boys when they were still small, for future HS graduation presents, as well as at-cost rifles for most of my family and friends.

The Greek Return era at the CMP was pretty sweet.

GR

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I am down to 3
Two CMP Specials a 42 SA and a 45 SA
Got them both in 2016
Have another 45 SA that I bought from an individual who sent it back to CMP in 2011 and had it re barreled.

Also have 2 03A3s and an M1 carbine.

Love shooting the Garands.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HTDUCK
I am down to 3
Two CMP Specials a 42 SA and a 45 SA
Got them both in 2016
Have another 45 SA that I bought from an individual who sent it back to CMP in 2011 and had it re barreled.

Also have 2 03A3s and an M1 carbine.

Love shooting the Garands.

Snappin' in w/ an M1 rifle is cathartic.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

... Meditation - for the warrior soul.

GR

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
We had a saying, "shoot Garands in the summer and Springfields in the winter." (Heavy clothing to soak up recoil and all that.) Ah for the good old days of $5/100 GI Ball surplus ammo. Never mind the fact I had to work a couple hours to buy those 100 rounds! But, the stuff was everywhere and Springfields abounded for $40 and Garands for $60-80. .303 Enfields for $20 and ammo at $3/100. Life was simpler and no one called the cops when they saw me, a teenage kid, with a milsurp slung over my shoulder heading to the quarry to do some blasting.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
We had a saying, "shoot Garands in the summer and Springfields in the winter." (Heavy clothing to soak up recoil and all that.) Ah for the good old days of $5/100 GI Ball surplus ammo. Never mind the fact I had to work a couple hours to buy those 100 rounds! But, the stuff was everywhere and Springfields abounded for $40 and Garands for $60-80. .303 Enfields for $20 and ammo at $3/100. Life was simpler and no one called the cops when they saw me, a teenage kid, with a milsurp slung over my shoulder heading to the quarry to do some blasting.

Buddy of mine, when he was a kid, used to ride the city bus through town to get to the Police Range to shoot, w/ his rifle slung across his back.

My Dad said he and the other boys used to hunt squirrels and rabbits goin' to and from school. Said there was a rifle rack in the classroom, in the coat cubby.

Like livin' on a different Planet.

GR

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm surprised to hear barrel life would actually be better with a 6.5x55. I had thought the 30-06 barrels would live longer.

Mine is a 7.62x51mm. Beretta receiver, Criterion barrel, Dupage stock, all the rest is USGI, mostly Springfield. Reparked and newly finished stock.

It holds a very good group when the shooter (namely me) isn't throwing flyers.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Igloo; 07/26/21.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Buddy of mine, when he was a kid, used to ride the city bus through town to get to the Police Range to shoot, w/ his rifle slung across his back.

My Dad said he and the other boys used to hunt squirrels and rabbits goin' to and from school. Said there was a rifle rack in the classroom, in the coat cubby.

Like livin' on a different Planet.

GR

When I was a 14 year old member of the 4-H Rifle Club in Lansing, MI, back around 1963, we lived across town from Michigan State University, where the club used an indoor range at the ROTC Building. In warm weather, I would strap my Marlin Model 80-G .22 rifle to the handlebars of my bike, ride 5 miles across town to the campus to shoot, and ride back. In cold weather I would get on a city bus with my rifle (in a case) and a pocket full of ammo, ride to the edge of the campus, and walk half a mile to the ROTC Building with my rifle over my shoulder.

I was never once questioned or stopped, and nobody even looked at me funny. It was a different world then, and a far better one.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 07/26/21.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
K
K
By far my favorite rifle to shoot. The M1 is my go to rifle for matches and just to shoot for fun.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I need to go zero mine, have only shot it through the chrono, i have three different kinds of primed brass, 'Smith said some are corrosive, that's okay, i shot the different rounds i loaded, they all went 2590 to 2640 fps with the 168gr bullets, 50 fps e.s. doesn't bother me, i'll just plink around on 1, 2, and 3 hundred steel, i cant hold that difference with an iron sighted rifle anyway, may shoot a buck in the thickets this season.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pabucktail

GR

Details?

Due to the general neglect shown by the Filipino Govt w/r/t Our M1 rifles... most of the 86,000 returns came back w/ pitted receivers and rotten bores.

Hence, a very low percentage of "Service Grade" rifles.

May happen, but the availability of CMP/SG rifles again is doubtful.

Should be plenty of pitted "Specials" w/ the new Criterion Bbl's for a while.

GR

It's my understanding that the next big stash of M1's are in Iran. I say it's about time we took them back.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (808outdoors, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,403 guests, and 749 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,672
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.