Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Got my home raised baby back from the trainer last week. Them we had a few rainy days and i didn't get him rode.

Last night I thought I better get with the program and get on him at home. He was really full of gas and didn't want to be civilized. So I used my arena like a round pen and let him lope circles around me for a half an hour.

Then I got out a big flag, a black garbage bag taped on the end of an 8' pvc pipe and moved him around some more. When he would stop moving then I stopped and walked up and petted some. In 15 min he was acccepting the flag on his back, He would stop and eat some grass when the flag was touching him, from both sides and rear. needs more work from the front. As the saddle had been on this whole time all I had to do was bridle him up and get on. I was going to say hop on, but at 68 years old I don't hop so much anymore, More like clamber on I guess.

We just walked around the arena and then picked up a trot for a little then back to a walk , then whoa and back a step or two. we did that over about 10 times, even hit a real soft lope for a few strides. I quit in the arena and loosened the cinch and hand walked him out.

Tonight I caught his big sister and him , saddled both and went to the arena. He was much quieter and more managable. I stepped on and walked and trotted for 15 min or so, Then I switched to the other one and rode her quietly as well. Put them both out and called it a good day.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like he's coming along nicely!

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I always liked starting young mules. At 78 though I don't bounce very well anymore.
Sounds like he is going to be a good one.

Are you using a bit or hackamore?

There is real good book if yo can a find copy. "Hackamore Reinsman" by Ed Connell

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/09/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have heard of that book but I don't beleive that I have read it.

The trainer started the colt in a snffle bit that I had made years ago, but he does typical mule colt stuff, his mouth is open more than I can endure.

I do have a rawhide bosal that I have used in the past, I believe I need to give it a whirl. If I ride in my arena and he runs off with me I'll just ride till he wants to stop and then ride a little more. Then Whoa will be a reward for him.

I have not used mechanical hackamores for a long time, I think they look too tacky for me, unless nothing else wo.uld work.

Looking at another horse trailer tomorrow, trying for one with some living quarters, and not so much $

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
When I mentioned hackamores, I meant bosal.The book I mentioned goes into great detail on it's use, but also covers use of the snaffle.

Most mules I started, I used the bosal.Mules will cheat on you pretty fast and will try different ways to get away from the snaffle because it rubs across their bars.Then you start to use a cavesson and the mule hate it even more.With that,the mule can't get away from pressure.

I'm with you,let them run and then make them run a bit more.

Amazon has that book.

https://www.amazon.com/Hackamore-Reinsman-Ed-Connell/dp/0964838508/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3H9CZEW15J989&dchild=1&keywords=hackamore+reinsman+by+ed+connell&qid=1625858818&sprefix=hackamore+reinsman%2Caps%2C258&sr=8-1

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/09/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 53 invisible), 2,961 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.