Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
MS9x56 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
All still hunters out there what in your opinion are the best boots for still hunting?

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

For Me where I hunt Muck woody max are what I wear.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jeeper

For Me where I hunt Muck woody max are what I wear.

+1.

Last season switched to DryShod brand. Muck style.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I use 10” LL Bean Maine hunting boots, the uninsulated style. Treat the leather with toilet ring wax, and they are relatively waterproof. You can feel even small twigs under them. The soft rubber chain link tread gives fairly good traction on rock slopes. I’ve been using them for nearly 40 years of Adirondack hunting and I’ll never be without a pair.
That being said, they do absolutely nothing for keeping your feet warm. Even the Thinsulate lined models are ice boxes. If you are going to be sitting for any longer periods of time, wear something else.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Best for still hunting where ? Under what conditions ? Bare ground or snow ? Creeks to cross and how deep ? There is no one best boot for still hunting. I have several different pairs for different places/conditions.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I still like my Rocky's!

When I Bowhunted a lot, I would carry some Ankle high Indian Moccasins,(Sneakin Slippers), in my pack, to try to sneak up on game!

Shot a lot of Whit tails in Ohio, doing it this way.

Even got close to an Elk in Colorado 30 yrs. ago, but he got wise and bolted!

I had a few Layers of leather Tanned deer hide,
soles in each to help re enforce the inside Bottoms.
That worked very well, as I could still feel the ground, and stalk slowly, and as quietly as possible!
Got a pair in Canada yrs. ago from the Algonquin Indian store, near lake Niposing.

Now my oldest Son is trying to replicate that, as he's a pretty accomplished Bowhunter himself!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Muck Woody Max...just based on what keeps my feet the warmest based on cold outdoor temperature. I hunt the mountains a lot here in N. Ga and the Muck's are not good for walking the mountains. I have Danner 1000 gram Thinsulate boots for hunting the mountains and they are not as warm as the Muck's for me. But if its cold, and I hunt anywhere the Muck's can go that is what I wear.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I use Lacrosse Aeroheads.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Belleville Mini Mils, or Courteney Selous' with smooth soles, if cold wear good wool socks.

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Back in the 70's, you could get ankle height bull hide moccasins with double bull hide soles. Hippies loved them. I wasn't a hippy by a long shot but I took a chance on them for bowhunting. On fairly flat land, they worked very well and were as close to silent as any shoes I've ever worn. I used them for years. They weren't bad in rocks because of the heavy leather but of course they weren't real hiking boots. They were stalkers, not hikers, and you'd want real boots for carrying out a load of meat. Their big failing was that they were slick on grass, especially if it was wet. They weren't waterproof. When I got older, they were still in very good shape but my feet widened out so they wouldn't fit.

They were like this except they were lace up instead of those goofy hippie straps.
[Linked Image from d3rw5v15h1jwdg.cloudfront.net]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by MS9x56
All still hunters out there what in your opinion are the best boots for still hunting?

ALL Depends on Temperature and HOW FAST You Move Along !

Dirty Harry

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I use Bogs Classic tall as I found the sole to be softer than Muck and I could feel what was under my feet better. They are not as warm as Muck.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’ve used Danner Grouse boots, Solomon Quests, Lacrosse, Mucks, Crispi, and a few more. Deer don’t seem to know which one. One I wouldn’t wear again is the bean boot. No arch or ankle support and useless on anything slippery.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I just go with the cheapest neoprene boots I can get at Academy. If it isn’t too cold, I like those a lot better than the Muck boots I have. The Muck boots are too stiff in the sole. The cheap Academy neoprene boots are like wearing tennis shoes.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Wind

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Home made moccasins elk/moose hide soles and buckskin uppers with heavy wool socks in the winter.

Last edited by erich; 07/20/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I wear Muck Edgewater Classics more than anything else including all winter for walking the dog. I logged many, many miles on my last pair that served me for 10yrs. They are as comfortable as any sneaker and warm enough for winter use as long as you keep moving. I just bought another pair for back up until the old ones finally die.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I guess over the years I've used about everything. I've pretty much settled on full lace-up Schnee's rubber bottom leather top hunters with lug soles. Muck boots don't fit my ankles tight enough for me to go up and down hills and ridges well and my feet sweat like crazy in them. After a couple of painful mishaps with Bean's chain-tread soles I won't go anywhere near them, they're a damn death trap.

Mathew 22: 37-39

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
La Crosse 18" Arrowheads seem the best. Sadly, they are made in China . I cant wear my La Crosse Icemans cause there is so much water where I hunt now days on the public land, but that is where the deer seem to be and the hunters , not so much.

Last edited by ihookem; 07/23/21.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’m newly into a pair of Lacrosse Alpha Burleys. 1600 gram. Gets cold up here. They’re relatively quiet for such a big boot. I move very very slowly. And sit for a long time. So my feet get cold as hell with less boot. You can sit in a stand with them in pretty cold weather too and be ok for a matter of some long hours.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I’ve settled on a good fitting rubber bottom boot with a leather upper like a Schnee, Lacrosse or Sorel. I got the ones that aren’t overly insulated, fit well enough so I can feel the ground but have enough grip so I’m not eating dirt when going up and down hill on slick leaves or snow. Best time for still hunting is when the ground is wet ,soft and quiet which means slick. Moccasins are quiet but you’ll bust your ass on a wet log or slick hill. If you’re planning to be on the move most of the day don’t worry about not having enough insulation. If you’re going to sit awhile bring extra wool socks in your pack. I always wear light wool with the boots as wool stays warm even when wet by water or sweat. If I find a good run late in the day before dark to sit I’ll slip on another pair so I can be comfy enough to sit it out.

Last edited by brinky72; 07/27/21.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cra1948
I After a couple of painful mishaps with Bean's chain-tread soles I won't go anywhere near them, they're a damn death trap.

I agree .... I used to have a pair of Cabelas clone boots that were the same. I fell a few times with those things including once at work while walking on a tile floor with wet boots. Darn near went through the wall on the way down. Same a couple times in the driveway. I never used them for hunting because of that. That's all I'd need is to get hurt because of those things a couple kms from the truck.

I wore them out walking the dog. Never did buy another pair.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
The most comfortable, very flexible boots that you have, that will be appropriate for the conditions, with very thick socks over the boot. Yes....sock will be replaced often! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 07/28/21.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I use/like the leather soled wrestling shoes. Probably no different than a moccasin that laces up.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
for years i used red wings. now an old pair of doc martins.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I wear a pair of Crispis....I just can't do rubber boots over long distance. I need more ankle support and something that breathes.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Take a look at the Russell Moccasin Company Stalkers. The soles give a lot of protection but still have the ground feel. You will probably never wear them out but if you do Russell.s will re-build them for you. Next in stealthiness are the Russell PH's with a gum rubber sole. These provide more support and foot protection but are still good for stalking, several PH's have recommended these for Elephant hunting if that tells you anything (lots of walking and then a need for stealth).

Rubber boots just seem awkward and usually sweaty for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
764 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 93 invisible), 3,025 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,706
Posts18,400,100
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.