Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Got a Honda Fourtrax that came with a second set of rims/tires 25x8-12 and 25x10-12. Turf tread on them. Looking for something more aggressive.

Can I put any size tire on the 12” rim? I’m seeing 26x9-12 and 26x11-12 with the tread I’m looking for. Will they work?

Also, the original tires are 23x8-11 and 24x9-11. It’s full-time 4wd. Is the gearing set up for that off-set and will it be damaged if I go with the same height tires front and back?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Got a Honda Fourtrax that came with a second set of rims/tires 25x8-12 and 25x10-12. Turf tread on them. Looking for something more aggressive.

Can I put any size tire on the 12” rim? I’m seeing 26x9-12 and 26x11-12 with the tread I’m looking for. Will they work?

Also, the original tires are 23x8-11 and 24x9-11. It’s full-time 4wd. Is the gearing set up for that off-set and will it be damaged if I go with the same height tires front and back?
If the OEM fronts aren't the same diameter as the rear, DO NOT run them the same size. It's geared to compensate for the different sizes and you risk tearing up the drive train if you don't size them right.

Just to throw out some nonsense numbers, say the larger rears turn 10 times while the smaller fronts turn 12 times. With the same size tires, the fronts will only turn 10 times but the gears that run them are trying to turn them 12 times. That difference has to go somewhere and it puts a lot of stress on things. Something has to give.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Regardless of size, which is important, I look at what I'm doing, my needs, and what I'm trying to accomplish, with my 4 wheeler.
We use ours for hunting a lot, in the woods, off road, hauling various things, Deer, firewood, trailers,etc.......

The Weather dictates the kind of tires we use, here in the Midwest.
Were in the mud a lot, not real sloppy loose, but wet clay soil, that can get pretty slippery, and in and out of Creek bottoms, climbing hills, driving over down logs,etc.....

So tire tread is very important, as is a spare set or two on wheels!
Flat tires can down you in a minute!
Tire Slime, works well, especially with thorns!

We use aggresive treads in the Snow, almost like a sand tread with paddles.
We used to call them Wooly Boogers!

Make sure you know the difference between directional, and non directional tires when you choose!
Directional, have to be put on a certain way! No rotating!
Non directional can be swapped across from its counterpart if rotating!

Today their are so many more choices, to pick from.

In response to your OP, Rock Chuck, is spot on!
Don't mix the sizes from front to back!
You will tear up your gearing,etc....
Everything he said, I agree with!!!

Last edited by HunterShooter58; 07/10/21.

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I put Maxxis Bighorns on my Grizzly 700. I use mine for hunting and farm chores and needed something durable that would crawl over rocks and downed trees without puncturing a sidewall. The Bighorns are 6 ply rated and are very tough. As far as mud they are as good as the OEM tires that come on most ATV's. But superior on the trail and in the woods.

Don't confuse the Bighorns with the Bighorn II, as the Bighhorn II are not nearly as tough and the tread is less aggressive to keep the weight down for those who like speed over durability. The Bighorns are what you want if you work/hunt with you ARV.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here we don't have much mud or sand. We have rocks. I'm running a set of these Sedona Ripsaws on my RZR. They have large blocks that keep sharp rocks from getting to the casing. They have great traction in rocks. I've never really had a chance to try them in mud but I suspect that there are better ones for that. They'd bury you in sand.

[Linked Image from images.rockymountainatvmc.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm not sure how much air pressure you guys run in a UTV or an ATV, but flat spotting from sitting has been an issue with my low pressure Rokon tires. My old Nylon truck tires did that, but I didn't expect it from newer ATV tires.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Here we don't have much mud or sand. We have rocks. I'm running a set of these Sedona Ripsaws on my RZR. They have large blocks that keep sharp rocks from getting to the casing. They have great traction in rocks. I've never really had a chance to try them in mud but I suspect that there are better ones for that. They'd bury you in sand.

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

I like those. I have gbc grim reapers on my atv. 8 ply

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

No matter what tires you choose....

They all cost too damm much

I run 28-10x14's on my Teryx SxS

Thinking of my replacements next time...after only a projected 5K miles or so...

BFG KO3 Mudders in same size...$186/each........crazy

You can buy 16-17" E rated tires for your 3/4 ton pick up for the same price

Last edited by tikkanut; 07/13/21.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Windfall
I'm not sure how much air pressure you guys run in a UTV or an ATV, but flat spotting from sitting has been an issue with my low pressure Rokon tires. My old Nylon truck tires did that, but I didn't expect it from newer ATV tires.

my Teryx SxS.....9-10 psi

28-10x14's

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Pretty cool vehicle stile............ never have seen one like that.

Last edited by Muffin; 07/13/21.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
2019 Honda Pioneer with factory tires . I put a set of chains on the back . I'm amazed on what a difference it's made.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last set of sedona’s I had on my polaris only lasted 2 years and that’s not many miles. To soft. I bought mudlites and they have made it 3 years and still look great. We run some mud ,plenty of rocks. Steep mountains

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana

Yes they will fit and you'll be fine running them. I ran 26x10x12's all the way around on my old Foreman and never had any issues doing it, ran them for years that way.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

580 members (10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 257 roberts, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,823
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.