-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I recently bought this 458 WM, always wanted one. I'm a little unsure as to it's model, the only place on the entire rifle that says Whitworth is on the rubber butt pad.
I can clearly see it's made in Yugoslavia on the rear tang, it has the barrel mounted express sights. I've attached a link to some pictures to help.
My Blue Book of Gun Values #32 makes it seem like it has to be a Whitworth but everything I read other people commenting on sounds like the receiver should be marked as such.
Thanks for any help,
Mike

https://photos.app.goo.gl/x7i5BkSJHyJuAnp37

Progress is man's ability to complicate simplicity.
Thor Heyerdahl
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
IMO, it's a Whitworth.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Its a Whitworth...and a nice one at that!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Whitworth--- nice wood

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for answering, maybe some did and some didn't get the receivers marked as such. Has a June 1989 date code on it.
Thanks fellas, the guy I bought it from was the son of the original owner and didn't have it listed as a Whitworth, just the Mark X wording. When I saw the wood, I fell in love.

Thor Heyerdahl
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I thought the Whitworth guns had the release in the floorplate?

The way life should be.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Whatever it is, I wouldn’t fret; it’s a beauty. You did well.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm tickled with it, started some reloading today, hadn't set up my presses even though I've lived back here in Iowa for six years. With the price of ammunition it's definitely an item worth rolling your own.
It's not like I'm heading to Africa to take on the big five, it's another one of those things I always wanted to have but it will probably not see a lot of action.
On the original question about whether it's a Whitworth or not, I'm not positive either way, but if it's not, it really doesn't make any difference to me. I always look for nice wood and this one definitely was way above average.
Thanks for responding all.

Thor Heyerdahl
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your Whitworth is an Interarms MK X They are all the same except for some things like stocks of different designs and qualities. When I first started using the Mark X in the early 80's the barrelled actions I got from Brazas Wholesale were all the same except for the magnum action like the 375 H&H which is longer.
Back then, there was a cheaper model with a non-walnut stock that was named the Viscount. Over the years the very same barrelled action was installed in several different styles of stocks and also with different company names . Remington mod 799 and 798, and Charles Daly. The Charles Daley had the floorplate release on the side like yours. Other than that, the barrelled actions have remained the same since the first barrelled action I bought from Brazas. ( $165.00)
In my opinion, they are very good rifles and like the FN Mauser they will always work ( my opinion of course)
I have a friend that was an avid Remington fan, but when he wanted ro get a 375 H&H he bought the Remington 700 with the Interarms barrelled action. He said that it was the best 375 that Remington ever made! grin

Your rifle is a beauty and will last forever.

Ken
PS The Whitworth is just a name ---the rifle is the Interarms MK X

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I just checked out the pics - that rifle is fantastic!
And in a great caliber too!

Russ

You'll probably never NEED a gun. In fact I hope you never do. BUT IF you do, you will probably need it worse than anything you've ever needed before in your life...
IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
kennymauser + 1. Near the 'end of era' as Interarms/ original Firearms International of Washington D.C., moving toward sinking into the sunset, the English born Whitworth rifles were petering out. Of Zastava manufacture and mated with wood in Manchester, more of a mix & match between "Whitworth" and the same unmarked edition as increasing.
My 458 Wnchester, Mag chambered, a beautiful rifle, but reflecting "Mark X". No real difference beyond nomenclature. My Mannlicher stocked 30-06 with Whitworth branding; same fundamental metal components quality. As noted, there existed quality differences IF construing principally stock and certain accoutrements. Express sights, hinged floorplates (cross bolt typically for heavier chamberings vs more standard trigger guard bow release), considerable stock differences. Here the net rule to me 'between Whitworth & not'... "Buy the gun 'for the build it is', not the branding!
Just my take

Last edited by iskra; 07/10/21.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,593 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,603
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.