Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
E
I fondled one a few days ago bolt seemed stiff but a pretty gun my dad had a old school A bolt from the 80s any thoughts it was reasonably priced

BP-B6

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Browning's entry into the already flooded budget rifle market. One of the nicer rifles in that category, but also one of the higher priced ones.

Don't confuse it with the older A-Bolt and A-Bolt II. They were Browning's flagship models of the time. The flagship model is now the X-Bolt. Evidently Browning's marketing dept was smart enough to keep the A-Bolt name around on the new budget line in hopes that buyers would assume they were getting the quality level of the older A-Bolt line, just at a lower price point. That's not the case. It's a completely new rifle that was designed from the ground up to compete in the budget market that the majority of new gun buyers seem to be drawn to.

Not saying it's a bad rifle, it just doesn't compare to the older A-Bolts.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Tutelage is dead on. My 30 year elk hunting buddy has an original abolt in 7mm rem mag. Never a problem with that rifle and it is very accurate. A couple years ago he bought a ab3 in 30-06. They are very different rifles. He gave the ab3 to his son and is now using his original abolt. Just a sample of one. Ymmv.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by earlybrd
I fondled one a few days ago bolt seemed stiff but a pretty gun my dad had a old school A bolt from the 80s any thoughts it was reasonably priced

I could be wrong, but I think the AB3 is related to the Winchester XPR in terms of basic design. I've never owned an AB3, but the XPR that I owned had a noticeably heavy bolt lift. I don't know if it was just that particular rifle, or if applies to all XPR and AB3, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wish I could get a AB3 in 350 Legend for Michigan

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TATELAW
Browning's entry into the already flooded budget rifle market. One of the nicer rifles in that category, but also one of the higher priced ones.

Don't confuse it with the older A-Bolt and A-Bolt II. They were Browning's flagship models of the time. The flagship model is now the X-Bolt. Evidently Browning's marketing dept was smart enough to keep the A-Bolt name around on the new budget line in hopes that buyers would assume they were getting the quality level of the older A-Bolt line, just at a lower price point. That's not the case. It's a completely new rifle that was designed from the ground up to compete in the budget market that the majority of new gun buyers seem to be drawn to.

Not saying it's a bad rifle, it just doesn't compare to the older A-Bolts.

Accurate assessment.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have an early 90's A-bolt 2 medallion in 7 mm rem mag with a boss. The bolt is just a slick now as when it was given to me. Problem is I wish that I could find a decent after market stock for it. The wood stock has its battle wounds and I leave it in the safe for now. And I agree with the above statement as well.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I was at the range a few years ago and 2 members were shooting their A-Bolt 3's at 200 yards and producing tiny groups. They were tickled with their rifles.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ford vs Chevy

That said, I have 4 ABolts that i bought new when they came out. They are all crazy accurate and have the BOSS

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
SD,

B&C produces the Medalist stock for Abolt long actions. I would consider it to be a good replacement.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I was at the range a few years ago and 2 members were shooting their A-Bolt 3's at 200 yards and producing tiny groups. They were tickled with their rifles.

That's where you are wrong.........Browning does not market these rifles as A-Bolt 3's. They are called AB3's...........
Closer to ABortion3 than an A-Bolt, they have NOTHING in common with the original A-Bolt or the A-Bolt-II other than Browning marketing them. the biggest POS Browning has ever put their name on, but they had to have something to offset the overpriced X-Bolt

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by aboltfan
SD,

B&C produces the Medalist stock for Abolt long actions. I would consider it to be a good replacement.

I'll have to look into that and take it out to shoot more

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

That's where you are wrong.........Browning does not market these rifles as A-Bolt 3's. They are called AB3's...........
Closer to ABortion3 than an A-Bolt, they have NOTHING in common with the original A-Bolt or the A-Bolt-II other than Browning marketing them. the biggest POS Browning has ever put their name on, but they had to have something to offset the overpriced X-Bolt

You need to cut down on the coffee intake.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
642 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,587 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.