Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
TenX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Do pre 64 FWT's need a little forend pressure to shoot well? Barrel is floated except for the first 1.5". Inch and half 3 shot groups are about as well as I can make it do so far. Never had this much trouble with standard weight barrels.
Phil

BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You guys can keep bedding them with chidt under the chamber if you want, but in my experience they shoot much better with the barrel totally freefloated:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
+1 on the full free float for pre 64 FWT .308 -- shoots sub minute of angle.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by crshelton
+1 on the full free float for pre 64 FWT .308 -- shoots sub minute of angle.

My buddies 308 does too. I glass bedded his into this mcmillan and it's a shooting sob. I started a thread on the bedding job a few years ago, but all the pics are gone thanks to photobucket, or I'd post the link. A thread like that is worthless without pics though. Here's his rifle:

After working up a handload with a lowly 150 gr. Hornady interlock and Varget, it puts them in the same ragged hole. Almost too boring. One of the best shooting 308's I've seen. I hate to say it, but it even shoots better than my Tikka 308...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, no need to bed the rear of the barrel on 70 Featherweights, whether pre- or post-'64.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I use a few drops of brown acrylic paint to the Acraglas after its mixed. Mix it again until the brown is blended - add another drop to blend better and start applying.
Works very well and doesn't change its hardening properties. I experimented with this when learning how to repair Red Wing stoneware. There is a learning curve to that, but for gunstocks its simple.
Good luck

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I use a few drops of brown acrylic paint to the Acraglas after its mixed. Mix it again until the brown is blended - add another drop to blend better and start applying.
Works very well and doesn't change its hardening properties. I experimented with this when learning how to repair Red Wing stoneware. There is a learning curve to that, but for gunstocks its simple.
Good luck

Good post. I just use Devcon 10110 and keep it slightly under the stock line. Works great... I don't really like Acraglas. To each his own though.. As long as the end result is as such, all is well...

BSA MAGA
TenX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, I guess I need to completely float the barrel and see what happens. Thanks for the input.
Phil

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TenX
Well, I guess I need to completely float the barrel and see what happens. Thanks for the input.
Phil

With a good glass bedding job. Im assuming with your handle, you know things need a proper glass bedding job. You don't get consistent results otherwise...There are some that think otherwise, but you know how those guys fare in real world results.. TenX, if that is true, you've btdt.... I've met a lot of guys that say they are going to cut the x ring out. Some times it happens, most times it doesn't...

BSA MAGA
TenX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have glass bedded the stock stress free but did bed the first 1.5" of the barrel because with other rifles this is the method that has worked well for me. However none of these were FWT or light barrels so I'm in a learning curve with this weight of barrel. I'll take the bedding out of the barrel and see what happens. This is the fun part of a new acquisition if my bullet supply holds up.
Phil

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
TenX you sound very knowledgeable, and your work can't be faulted that I can see. Although the chamber need not be bedded, I did not know it was detrimental if it was. I wouldn't hog out your chamber bedding just yet, just shim the action up a little for a shooting test. I think a thorough inspection of the mag box is in order, and definitely check rear tang screw clearance, and BSA won't like this, but the front of the recoil lug. Just some thoughts to consider...on a Mauser, the mag box can create flyers if it bears too heavily on the stock.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
You guys can keep bedding them with chidt under the chamber if you want, but in my experience they shoot much better with the barrel totally freefloated:
And my experience is exactly the opposite..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
TenX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Redneck
Do you put any pressure on the forend tip? I've never had to do it on standard barrel weights but this is my first FWT.
Phil

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Redneck

Post up your groups for comparison. I wont mind.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TenX
Redneck
Do you put any pressure on the forend tip? I've never had to do it on standard barrel weights but this is my first FWT.
Phil
Nope - any fore-end pressure's eliminated..

Originally Posted by Redneck

Post up your groups for comparison. I wont mind.
I don't have to - but my customers can.. Just curious - but have you tried your rifles with just receiver, and then later with receiver + 1-2" of shank bedding and noted the difference?? Show me those groups and differences..

Last edited by Redneck; 07/13/21.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
BSA, You are painting with a pretty broad brush. There are years of back issues of Precision Shooting where experimenters have glued sporting weight rifles in the stock, about as close as you can get to full contact bedding, and gotten excellent results, accurate enough to compete in benchrest. Several nationally ranked competitors went so far as to glue in the barrel and full float the action. So by all means, full float if it works for you, but don't try to sell it as the 'only' way. There are many techniques for skinning a cat.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
wink

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
TenX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, I have success. I left the bedding as it was and started messing with bullet seating depth. So it appears, my normal method of bedding Mod 70's is good for both standard weight barrels and FWT barrels, at least in this instance.

I'm going to quit while I'm ahead. Shot the first 100 yd group, made some scope adjustments then the second one after the barrel had cooled. It was hot out today. Yes, I know they aren't 5 shot groups but again this is a hunting rifle so I figure I'm good to go. Thanks for all the input guys.
Phil

Attached Images
1.jpg (4.67 KB, 199 downloads)
2.jpg (4.67 KB, 196 downloads)
Last edited by TenX; 07/20/21.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
that should get the job done, enjoy your classy rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TenX, What chambering is the rifle and what bullets are you running?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
787 members (163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 76 invisible), 3,214 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,709
Posts18,400,156
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.