Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
CTF Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
The 416 Remington is one of my all time favorite carts.. I've had 3 of them . and still have the 3rd. A reboared Whitworth Express in 375. Brush nickel plated. I put a synthetic stock on it . It has a brake on it and Williams rear peep sight.
I REALLY like it.
Don't discount the 300 gr8 TSX bullet . It Absolutely FLATTENS big brown bear at Close range.
Barnes defined the reloading data on it. I used to push them to 2900 . Now only around 2750 . But they still work wonderfully.

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Bugger
The main issue I had with my 416 Rigby was recoil head aches. The change for you with the 416 Remington caught my attention. I was thinking the 375 was going to be my biggest caliber. Now, I might be looking a a 416 again. The Taylor would be my other choice. Interesting thread, thanks.

I thoroughly enjoy the 416 Remington and 416 Ruger.
Probably the Ruger version more. I definitely use / carry it more.
But, also really like a M70 stainless classic that has a 416 Remington barrel on it.
The 350 grain TSX is my bullet of preference in 416’s for North America.

C
CTF Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
LD;
I agree that the 350 is just a great all around 416 bullet weight. Have you tried the ttsxbt ?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have not tried the TTSX, yet. I hope to load some, and chronograph them the first week of July.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
We started testing some loads for my 416 Hoffman, but stopped after the first load we tried. As I mentioned above, my load for this rifle has been 81 grains of Reloader 15, a Federal 215 primer and 400 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claws and Solids. This load gives me 2,510 FPS and is great on buffalo.

Due to having my rotator cuff rebuilt 2 years ago, I thought we should try some milder loads. We started with 79 grains of RL-15, loading 3 each of 400 grain Bearclaws along with Cutting Edge solids and 370 grain Raptors. We shot the Raptors first and got a group measuring .80”. Next up the Bearclaws and got about the same size group and they printed almost same POI. Finally, we shot a couple solids and they were ‘right there’ with the other Bullets. Total group size for 8 shots with the 3 Bullets was 1.25”. Velocity with Bearclaws was 2,360 FPS, about the same as the original loading for the 416 Rigby. Recoil was noticeably less than the 81 grain loading, which my shoulder appreciated. I’m sighted in 1.25” high at 100.

So, we called it good and stopped while we were ahead. I’ll be using a Bearclaw for first shot to avoid pass-through; followed by Raptors for follow up shots. Solids will be kept for follow up of wounded buffalo. I’ve got 3 buffalo on license in Tanzania, hunting with Alan Vincent in October.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
That should be aplenty good.
Best of luck on the hunt !

C
CTF Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by CTF
The 416 Remington is one of my all time favorite carts.. I've had 3 of them . and still have the 3rd. A reboared Whitworth Express in 375. Brush nickel plated. I put a synthetic stock on it . It has a brake on it and Williams rear peep sight.
I REALLY like it.
Don't discount the 300 gr8 TSX bullet . It Absolutely FLATTENS big brown bear at Close range.
Barnes defined the reloading data on it. I used to push them to 2900 . Now only around 2750 . But they still work wonderfully.

Should read DETUNED instead of defined.
It used to be they showed the 300 gr X and TSX @ 2910 fps max vel.
Now they show. Around 2700 fps being max velocity.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by CTF
I REALLY like it.

Who did the rebore? Do you have their contact info?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by CTF
I REALLY like it.

Why not just buy a new barrel? You can get a stainless barrel by Krieger, Lilja, Shilen, Bartlein or Brux for $400-500. Gonna spend a good chunk of that on a re-bore and probably not end up with as good a barrel.

C
CTF Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by CTF
I REALLY like it.

I have no idea. I traded for the rifle. I've had several Whitworth Express and Interarms Mark X Alaskan rifles over the years so I knew what it was before I pulled it out of the stock.
When they did the rebore they also put a KDF muzzle brake on it. So it's nice and easy shooting.
Sorry I can't be of more service .

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by CTF
I REALLY like it.

I used to use that 300 grainer a lot and it was a wonderful bullet.
Also liked the 325gn X bullet as they too, shot every well in my .416 but Barnes deleted it from the range likely because of limited interest. It provided a "little more" where the 300 may have seemed light and is closer to the 350 which was proven on everything so I still see a place for it.

There is also the fact that some rifles shoot one bullet better than the others either side of it.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CRS
I can shoot this rifle with 350gr bullets all day. After experiencing recoil headaches after eight rounds of Rigby, or 30-40 rounds for the Jeffery, really enjoying this rifle. Off the bench no less.

That's why I sold my Rigby. I only put 20 rounds through it, but that was enough. But I was shooting 400 grain solids and the load was somewhere between 416 Weatherby and 416 Rigby. Maybe I should have tried something less in it.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My Rigby was a CZ hogback stock. Which IMO is a horrible recoil absorber.

My loads were starting loads with a 400gr bullet and still gave me headaches.

Arcus Venator
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by CRS
My Rigby was a CZ hogback stock. Which IMO is a horrible recoil absorber.

My loads were starting loads with a 400gr bullet and still gave me headaches.

All of the rifles that I hunt with regularly have Brown Precision fiberglass stocks on them. I’ve found that they are very good at absorbing recoil, even from my 416, especially when combined with a Pachmayr Decellerator pad. I asked Mark Brown why their stocks seem to transmit less felt recoil and he explained that their stocks actually flex and absorb some of the recoil compared to wood or stiffer synthetic stocks.

This combo, combined with backing my load off by a couple grains of powder yet still getting 2,360 FPS with 400 grain Bullets, has made my 416 very reasonable to shoot.

CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Finally was able to get some more 350gr TSX's and finish my load workup.
Hornady once fired brass
Fed 215M
82gr Varget
3.6 oal
Velocity is 2580 with my new lot of Varget, old lot was about 10fps slower.
Here is load verification picture.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here is the target of final shots filing in the open sights at 100 yards. Two shots, adjust. Two shots, adjust. Final shot.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Good to go, rifle already at the smith's getting cerakoted.

Arcus Venator
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Very cool! I had a Remington 700 in 416 Rem Mag. Rifle shot great, I just ended up not needing 3 rifles 375 and greater.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks for sharing the results. That should leave a mark on what it connects with.

I really like the 350 TSX in my 416 Ruger for moose. I have had very good accuracy with it in 3 different 416 Rugers.
I have finally loaded some 350 grain TTSX to try in the Ruger.

Hopefully, within a few days I will load some 350 TTSX for the 416 Remington.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by CTF
LD;
I agree that the 350 is just a great all around 416 bullet weight. Have you tried the ttsxbt ?

I finally loaded some of the 350 TTSX in the 416 Ruger. It will be a bit longer before I shoot / chronograph them.
I will be loading some in the 416 Remington. Hopefully within a week.

CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I did shoot a few of the 350gr TTSX's,

The few groups I shot opened up quite a bit and I only had limited supply. I did not work real hard at trying to get them to shoot.

This rifle did not like the speer 350gr either and showed a definite preference for the TSX. I do have some 300gr TSX, 325 & 370gr CEB Safari Raptor bullets that I will play with. Mainly to get more trigger time with the rifle.

Arcus Venator
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The 350 TSX really impressed me with their accuracy.
The Tipped are going to be an experiment for me. The bullet ogive is significantly different.
I am going to start with the Barnes book loads. Beginning with the TAC. My 416 Remington has a 22” barrel. If I can get good consistent groups, I will be very satisfied with 2500 fps.

I definitely understand about the limited resources for experimental loads. I bet that 325 Safari Raptor would be a good one.
I have some 300 TSX. But, I started out with the 350 TSX and have a hard time trying anything else. Especially with the hit and miss availability of components.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,612
Posts18,454,920
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.