Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I hit them with a little olive oil and then a bunch of Montreal Steak and let them refrigerate over night. Set it out the next day just long enough to come up to room temperature. Then it's hot and fast on the grill turned once and cooked until I get the right feel for medium (I never use a thermometer). Rest for 15 minutes and enjoy.

I cooked one at my in laws last Sunday and everyone raved about it. By far my favorite cut.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Roger, if you have a local butcher that has Wagyu tri tips, try one of those. You've got to have a butcher you can trust, though.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 805

When slicing keep in mind to cut against the grain of the meat but note that a tri tip has 2 different pieces/sections to it and you need to cut accordingly against the grain.

This is important, cut it against the grain.

MOLON LABE
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Roger, if you have a local butcher that has Wagyu tri tips, try one of those. You've got to have a butcher you can trust, though.

looked at wagyu brisket yesterday 100 on up, one was 185. If I was cooking for friends I'd cook one but I'm about the only one here at the house that likes to eat beef more than once a week. I've learned not to cook as much because it will sit in the fridge and I can't eat it fast enough to keep it from going to waste.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

My butcher has Wagyu brisket, too. I forget what I paid for the tri-tip, but it wasn't anywhere near as expensive as the brisket.

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Cooking a few tri tips right now on the central coast actually
I use a Santa Maria style grill so I can move the grate up and down to regulate temp. I use local red oak try to get 4-5 logs deep across the bottom of the grill and burn it for 1.5-2 hours trying to get the temp of the coals to be where I can only hold my hand open palm down at the highest setting the grate will go for 15 seconds before I have to pull my hand back. Then put the tri tips on and cook them one fat side up next to one fat side down try to keep them there for 50-60 minutes on each side raising or lowering the grate to keep that 15 seconds of open hand time. The fat dripping should be a constant rain on the coals kicking up smoke for flavor.
I have found it takes a deep bed of coals to keep the cooking temp adequate for a 2 hour cook and if you cook it hotter than you can keep you hand there for 12 seconds it tends to dry out fast.
I like to use Montreal, lawry’s seasoning salt and granulated garlic and leave the fat cap on until I pull them off the grill and let them rest then I fillet it off and put the big chunk into the pot of pinquito beans to season them as they finish. We always cook a few Tri tips at once and then slice them all thin once they rest and save all the juices and dripping from the cutting board and pour back over the pile of sliced meat. It’s awesome as cold cuts on sandwiches the next day too. The leftovers never last as long as you think.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
How you slice tri tip is as important as how you cook it-

Cut against the grain and watch out as the grain switches in the middle.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I prefer it sliced pretty thin. 1/8”ish

Last edited by robertham1; 07/11/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Finally sheesh.😎

Originally Posted by 805
Greg and Fats have given most the info needed. I tend to cook the same. I prefer to wet age all mine for at least 3 weeks and have gone up to 6 weeks.
I cook over red oak coals and pretty hot. Flip it over once and then stand on its end to finish it.
Susie Q’s seasoning is pretty much the standard around here for tri tip.
I don’t use a thermometer just go by feel. Pull it and let it rest at least 15 minutes. I always try for medium rare.
When slicing keep in mind to cut against the grain of the meat but note that a tri tip has 2 different pieces/sections to it and you need to cut accordingly against the grain.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 805
Greg and Fats have given most the info needed. I tend to cook the same. I prefer to wet age all mine for at least 3 weeks and have gone up to 6 weeks.
I cook over red oak coals and pretty hot. Flip it over once and then stand on its end to finish it.
Susie Q’s seasoning is pretty much the standard around here for tri tip.
I don’t use a thermometer just go by feel. Pull it and let it rest at least 15 minutes. I always try for medium rare.

Spot on… down to the susie q’s.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by robertham1

Good representation. Funny thing bout them meat fibers they don't always play along.

But yes mostly works out like that.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by robertham1

👍
Exactly

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
My brother in law cooks his almost the opposite of how I do mine and his way tastes great too. Instead of slow cooking it he cooks them pre trimmed and cooks them hot and fast over an open flame and chars them on all sides them puts them into a warm dry ice chest and closes the lid while he gets the side dishes going and pulls them out after about an 1-2 hours and slices them down

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Originally Posted by SamOlson
Roger, I love the tri tip roast.

Going from notes for the BGE.

3-4lb roast?

Indirect at 250F for 45-60 minutes pull at 115F internal temp.

Kick up the heat to 500F and grill each side for a minute or two to get a little char crust action.
(I use the Weber for this)

Pull and rest for 5-10 minutes.

Should finish at 135-140F.

I may be wrong, not a true grill guru.

Curious to hear how the masters do it.

That’s how I do a tri tip.

225 on the pellet grill until 110-115.

500+ on the grill for some char. Pull at 125-130 and let it rest for 10-15 minutes

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Gentlemen, I read through the thread, interesting grill master knowledge.

It is a hot, windy afternoon here and we called it a day. I came home and rested for a bit and just now cracked open a can of sparkling rocky mountain spring water.

Quite refreshing.

That said I had planned on grilling burgers for the wife and I.

The thermometer says 114F(in the sun about 10' from the BGE). Way too hot for me to be out there.....

Just kidding, I lit the grill for the burgers and opened the fridge to find a store bought Tri-Tip in the meat drawer next to the burger.

Plan changed, roast on the grill in 5,4,3,2,1......

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Came out great, Beans and ham hocks are killer as well.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Looks good Roger!!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tri tip is a good cut imo, pretty well marbled. Probably one of the best candidates for sous vide cooking.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
Tri tip is a good cut imo, pretty well marbled. Probably one of the best candidates for sous vide cooking.

If you cook it with this method, I got great results with about a 3lb tri tip roast at 130F for 7 hours. Used sea salt, black pepper and a little garlic and onion powder. Basically came out like medium rare prime rib. Pat it dry and sear it on the grill for a couple minutes on each side. Then a served it with a horseradish Gorgonzola sauce.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Looks excellent!! Great job!

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I guess maybe I should try one.

What does it do that a chuck roast cant do?

I am MAGA.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 12 invisible), 1,147 guests, and 788 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,238
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.