Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Been driving going on 50 years, all of my vehicles were manual transmission until last year when I bought a Nissan Frontier pickup. Engine braking (going down a hill in a lower gear instead of riding the brakes) ain’t much of an issue in mostly flat Texas.

Last month I was driving around Pennsylvania, Upstate NY and Vermont, lots of steep grades. Way back in the 60’s my English grandpa taught me you drive down a hill in the same gear you’d drive up it.

Engine braking with an automatic transmission, good or bad?

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 07/12/21.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
BP-B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I thought you referring to the engine break like what’s on F 550s and such. Those work great.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We have a Toyota Highlander with the V6, 8 gears. I have to shift down to 4th to get any noticeable braking on a steep hill. I don't think these newer transmissions with all the gears allow for it like the old 3 spd autos did. But I'm spoiled. My pickup is a Dodge diesel with a 6 spd manual and an exhaust brake. That will slow you down.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While I'm no expert, I think engine braking is a whole 'nother beast from downshifting.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Automatic computerized sensor controlled hill descent 'braking' is a feature available and / or standard on some vehicles nowadays.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Been driving going on 50 years, all of my vehicles were manual transmission until last year when I bought a Nissan Frontier pickup. Engine braking (going down a hill in a lower gear instead of riding the brakes) ain’t much of an issue in mostly flat Texas.

Last month I was driving around Pennsylvania, Upstate NY and Vermont, lots of steep grades. Way back in the 60’s my English grandpa taught me you drive down a hill in the same gear you’d drive up it.

Engine braking with an automatic transmission, good or bad?

Love it... When pulling our camper (up to 19K GVW) and going from Rapid City S. on Truck 16 there's some pretty steep and long grades.. The engine brake works so well that I rarely have to even touch the brakes when going down..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Way back in the 60’s my English grandpa taught me you drive down a hill in the same gear you’d drive up it.
That was true of older large trucks. In more recent years, though, engines are more powerful and you can climb in higher gears than the older ones. If you try going down in too high of a gear, you're going to have trouble. Those runaway truck escape ramps are there for those who try it. That rule no longer applies.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 4Runner does it.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
While I'm no expert, I think engine braking is a whole 'nother beast from downshifting.

Apparently you know more than me, I have adjusted the title accordingly.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What would you rather replace - brake pads or transmission parts?

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
I'm not sure if its good or bad, I know I do it a lot. It works well for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are a few ways this happens,

Compression braking in a gas rig uses the engine to slow the vehicle, not very effective in a diesel UNLESS the diesel has some type of gate to create vacuum or backpressure. 12v cummins.....no luck, 7.3 up fords....luck.

There is also a retarding feature in some auto transmissions that use the converter to eat up load. Early transmissions had troubles trying to redirect load through different bands....fords would chew reverse band by down shifting manually. Allison retarder was/is awesome.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My wife’s truck has a computerized jake brake on it for hills.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
In 1972 i had a 4 wd 3/4 ton Chevy suburban, and we bought a new 31’ Holiday Rambler travel trailer.
We made several 4 to 6 week trips west with it all thru both the US and Canada Rockies.
Down shifting on grades with the auto trans was just a natural thing for me to do.
I once had a trailer brake issue on the road while in Maine, and we lived in PA.
I just unplugged the trailer and drove it home by using my head on speed, keeping my distance from others, and using the trans and truck brakes.
Drove the Chevy over 200.000 before i traded it with no tranny issues.
I did have a large tranny cooler on it however strapped on front of the radiator.
Back then they used a clutch fan system, where the fan didnt engage till the engine temp called for it.
But i had mine set up so the fan ran all the time, and that helped alot on those long steep hills.
My current Chevy truck is a 2016 and that tranny will downshift on its own on grades.
But i still at times do it manually.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by high_country_
There are a few ways this happens,

Compression braking in a gas rig uses the engine to slow the vehicle, not very effective in a diesel UNLESS the diesel has some type of gate to create vacuum or backpressure. 12v cummins.....no luck, 7.3 up fords....luck.

There is also a retarding feature in some auto transmissions that use the converter to eat up load. Early transmissions had troubles trying to redirect load through different bands....fords would chew reverse band by down shifting manually. Allison retarder was/is awesome.
My '08 Dodge 6.7 Cummins has an exhaust brake, not compression. It's a little less effective but a lot quieter. Mechanics say to use it all the time, not just on hills. They say that during the braking cycle, it will keep the crud blown off the turbo and make the turbo last longer.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeBob
My wife’s truck has a computerized jake brake on it for hills.

What brand vehicle?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Apparently you know more than me, I have adjusted the title accordingly.

Engine breaking is exceptional good with automatic transmissions today. I have an exhaust brake on my 2015 Ram with Cummins diesel engine. I engage the tow haul so the torque converter locks up and keep the smart brake engaged. Downshifting the transmission increases the engine braking ability

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There are a LOT of long downhills here in Utah. I always bump the trans into manual and drop a gear or two going down. If I'm behind a "brake rider" who has the brakes on for miles, I can usually smell their white-hot brakes long before they get to the bottom. Can't help thinking their rotors have to warp from that.

My wife's Highlander Hybrid goes into Charge mode on downhills, of course, but she's a brake rider and I cannot get her to change. (Like most women, she understands the go and stop pedals, and that is all.)

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by Tyrone
What would you rather replace - brake pads or transmission parts?

+1

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
There’s nothing wrong with using a lower gear on an automatic trans for descending on a steep grade.

Every vehicle in the west has to do it and you’ll damn sure need to do it if you drive a fully loaded 24’ U-Haul and car hauler over the passes in TN or KY.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
662 members (12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 78 invisible), 2,674 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,612
Posts18,398,407
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.