Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I've hunted all day in the rain using my Renegade .54 with a taped muzzle and RWS caps. End of the day I would shoot the gun off so that I could clean it and have a fresh load. Never failed to fire.

So far as change of impact, mine shot approx. 3-4 inches lower with CCI #11 primers.

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have had reliability with CCI 11s. Musket caps are hotter. 209 is hotter still

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I remember in the old days all we got were Remington caps. Or those crappy corrosive Dixie Gun Works Italian caps in the little plastic container. I remember the first CCI’s we got in at the shop. There were some ignition issues with the CCI’s then. They seemed then, no hotter than the Remingtons. Then the RWS caps started gaining popularity. You could pop a Rem or CCI, okay. Then pop an RWS and it would almost ring your ears.

I’m talking 40-50 year ago stuff. We sold the hell outta RWS caps. Instead of foil liked like the Remingtons they were laquered on the inside. I believe the CCI’s were laquered too. Happy tonhear CCI’s are hotter and less problematic now.

Digging through my dad's stuff after he passed I found approximately 2000 of those old Dixie caps. IIRC they're hot but very corrosive.

"All I want is to enter my house justified."
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Remingtons are an easy pass.

Little bastards aren't hot enough to burn that little piece of paper and it clogs nipples about half the time.
Remington's are all i have left or have been able to find as of lately, they do not work well for my little 32 cal. CCI worked well but ran out.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remingtons are fine in my experience, especially the ones labeled "40% hotter." I've used Winchester Magnum, CCI, RWS and Remington No. 11s and never had a problem with any of them lighting real BP. I don't use BP substitutes in my sidelocks, though I've tried pyrodex in a Traditions Hawken Woodsman and it went off fine, too. Musket caps are unnecessary on a hunting sidelock, IMO.

If you want to go with musket caps, Schuetzen caps appear as hot as RWS and are usually readily available. I have about 1400 Schuetzen musket caps on hand and have used them in my Traditions Pursuit XT and they will light BP, loose Pyrodex and 777, and have not yet failed to light Pyrodex pellets and 777 pellets. They are good caps. Lots of compound in them. When I put them on the nipple, they won't go on as far as other caps I've tried due to all the compound in then. They stick out far enough off the nipple that they rub when closing the action. They make a helluva pop and will make a flame out of the muzzle. And they don't split wide open.

https://muzzle-loaders.com/collections/powder-primers/products/schuetzen-musket-caps

I agree about CCI musket caps. The ones marked "Multiple Use" pretty much are the weakest caps going. They'll light real BP and loose pyrodex in my inline, but won't light pyrodex pellets reliably, and I think those pellets are actually pretty easy to light. They also split right open and loose a lot of its already inadequate flame outside the nipple.

Navy Arms used to sell muisket caps in its own tins. They were either "made in Germany" RWS caps, or "Made in Brazil" caps. I am not sure who made the Brazilian caps for Navy Arms, but those were very good, very hot caps. Not sure if they are still sold or not. But they shot a very nice flame out of the muzzle of my T/C Black Diamond.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't found any #11 caps in over a year. It's sad

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 3,118 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,746
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.