Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
When was the last time you got a haircut in a barber shop with a barber pole in front?

Back in the early sixties for me.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
BP-B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Still have one up the road from me close to an AFB, I swear I've always been the youngest person in there, old decor straight out of the 60s and 70s. Old school vacuum hooked up to the clippers. And you never have to ask them to get the ear hair, I guess them dealing with old farts its always assumed. Old tv in the corner, them catching naps after lunch in the chairs.

Last edited by killerv; 07/13/21.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Ours had a shoe shine stand.

The pole was a symbol of the old blood letters

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's one a block from my house.

I can think of 3 in the town I last lived in.

I go to Cost Cutters because they don't talk. I sit down, say what I want, get up and pay. No BS discussion about crap neither of us cares about.

Me

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Teal

I go to Cost Cutters because they don't talk. I sit down, say what I want, get up and pay. No BS discussion about crap neither of us cares about.

I thought cost cutters changed to hair experts. I used to go but they are still weird about covid and I've moved onto sports clips, I like that hot steamed towel.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Still called Cost Cutters here.

We have a localish franchise here called "The Barbershop" - was only for men, women could get a cut too but it was like 3x the cost and donated to charity. Some do-gooder shut them down.

Steam towel, wash, scalp massage - nice cut but the cost just kept going up. I'm not paying 30 bucks for a hair cut.

Me

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Back in the 1960s for me.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
When was the last time you got a haircut in a barber shop with a barber pole in front?

Every time, apart from when they were closed and my wife cut it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I still go to one every two weeks. They still do a warm shaving cream and razor finish on the bottom.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I go to a Barber. No discussion there with my poor Spanish and his English being pretty bad. Pole out front and all. He worked at another shop while working 12 hr shifts at a local warehouse. Saved up and setup his own shop. Eventually he did the Barber thing full time. Go in, sit down, 45 min cut that’s always without a discussion, $40 and I’m out the door. He charges $20. I tip 100%, rather help out someone trying than someone lying around.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What I miss are the days when a hot towel shave was a standard add on for a modest fee and not considered to be some sort of high end spa treatment costing more than the haircut itself.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Every time. Known all three barbers for years. Catch up on everyone’s family, who’s killed a deer, fish caught, that type of thing.

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Used to go to Cost Cutters. But, enough was enough, when I realized that when I ask them to cut an inch off all around, they cut a half inch. If i asked them to cut a half inch off, they'd cut a quarter inch off. So, five years ago, I bought a $30 Walls clipper at the local fleet supply. Two-three times a year I put the one inch comb on the blade and take off as much as will come off. Then, a couple times in between "cuts" I take a scissor and clip around my ears...I'm getting pretty darn good at it.

But, speaking of old times. I grew up in a small town (pop. 980) that was the crossroads of two railroads. Both depots in town still used telegraphs to send messages up/down the line. We had a pool hall in town that had five snooker tables and two eight-ball table. The owner required us kids to learn how to play pool on the eight-ball table before he'd let us play snooker. Pool was fifteen cent per game, and the owner would rack/set the table after each game.

The barber shop was a two seat, father/son operation. They offered bathes in another room, and, I remember, even in the early sixties, farmers would come into town for a bath and a shave. Barber shop was closed Sun/Mon. Every Feb/Mar the son used a back room to buy fur from local trappers.

Wow, I sound old.

U.S. government was established to represent citizens, NOT TO RULE OVER THEM.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by gremcat

I go to a Barber. No discussion there with my poor Spanish and his English being pretty bad. Pole out front and all. He worked at another shop while working 12 hr shifts at a local warehouse. Saved up and setup his own shop. Eventually he did the Barber thing full time. Go in, sit down, 45 min cut that’s always without a discussion, $40 and I’m out the door. He charges $20. I tip 100%, rather help out someone trying than someone lying around.

+1

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Back in the mid-70s for me when I was in college. Ras's Barber Shop on 7th South in Salt Lake City. It's a shop my grandpa had gone to for years and Ole Ras was a great, old school barber. Leather backed swivel chairs, hunting, fishing and detective magazines scattered all around and usually an old AM radio playing music or carrying a MLB game during the summer months. You got a haircut, straight razor shave and a scalp massage for about $3.00.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
In the town next to where I grew up one of the last barbers in such a shop just passed away. Lots of French Canadians where I'm from including my family. Guy ran his place for over 50 years. Good, honest.man who raised his family that way. Love the Canucks.

The way life should be.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had an old guy with the old timey shop thing, spinny pole, a couple thousand arrowheads mounted to the wall. He shut down. Got old.

Another one, he cut my hair up till about 3 yrs ago.

He was just always so busy, stressed out 75 year old man. He was damn good barber but started getting crabby and douchey. He’d get behind running his mouth yakkin about Boomer topics. Then he’d fire you over to the one of his associate barbers which were a pair butchy lesbians that would leave me with cowlicks. Fugg that.

Started going to Great Clips. In/out no blabbing.

But, I’m going on almost 18 months without a haircut.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just got home from one.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I go to one every 3 weeks, all 3 guys are in there early 40's , we talk about everything but Dem's, deer heads and fish on the walls, see farmers and rancher's ,and talk shop, great hair cut for 13 bucks.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
All the time, my buddy owns one, choppers old school barbershop, Flemington New Jersey. I get the occasional straight edge razor shave :-)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
762 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 82 invisible), 2,922 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,064
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.