Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Reliability? Maintenance costs? Issues?

I may have an opportunity to purchase a 2005 with 15K miles for under 40k.

Garage stored, owner is a good friend.

Another good friend is a top notch mechanic, keeps my Ram in tip top shape.

Did as much research as possible online, hoping someone here has actual experience.

Thoughts?

“Factio democratica delenda est"
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Without access to diagnostics (dealership ONLY), your mechanic won't be able to do anything. Are you rich enough to let a dealer maintain it? Run away and save your money.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Reliability isn’t terrible. What is, is working on them. Terrible accessibility and access. They actually have quite a few ford parts on them so if you’re good at cross referencing you can save some serious dough there. Every bodies idea of reliability and what constitutes “reasonable maintenance costs” are, is different. We looked VERY VERY hard at owning one. So far as befriending a Aston mechanic and really picking his brain. His words: if nothing big breaks and it’s just the normal Little repairs and stuff, brakes and maintenance. 25k over the course of five years ownership. We passed. Lol

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
As a teenager, in the '60's, I was taught that those cool British cars and motorcycles were better to let someone else own. They leaked oil, had funny engineering, and things (especially electrical things) broke or didn't work right. Nothing I've seen in the intervening 60 years has changed my mind.

Mathew 22: 37-39

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have you inquired why it has such low mileage? If $40K is a good deal, buy it, drive it a few months, then sell it for a profit.
First reaction from me is being in “Gone Huntin’s” camp.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by cra1948
As a teenager, in the '60's, I was taught that those cool British cars and motorcycles were better to let someone else own. They leaked oil, had funny engineering, and things (especially electrical things) broke or didn't work right. Nothing I've seen in the intervening 60 years has changed my mind.

The Germans didn't bomb the Lucas Electric plant. They considered them an ally.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have looked at newer ones numerous times, currently have a 911 GTS. There aren't any dealers close to me so that is my one big issue. I have just found a mechanic locally that is certified by Aston Martin so the wheels are turning a bit lately.

Like others have said cost of ownership of this type of luxury items is always subjective, that's why is a luxury. Sounds like you know the history and know it's been well maintained. I would get it to a dealer and it checked out, all cars that my have been sitting/stored may have little maintenance issues, spending a few $$ to know what you're getting into is money well spent. Little things like Z rate tires general maintaince cost a bit more if you're not used to it.

Aston builds a beautiful car and I'd bet it would put a smile on your face every time you drive it.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For me -

Unless I was lusting after one and always had - IE shopping for one and came across this one - why buy it?

You didn't save a dime - you spent 40k

Just because it's a good deal wouldn't be enough for me to purchase - even if it does have a low cost of ownership. I'd have to be an Aston DB9 fan first - deal second.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman

Sometimes I think you should go on the Comedy specials on TV!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by mathman

Sometimes I think you should go on the Comedy specials on TV!

That was pretty funny. It made me remember that Lucas Electric was also referred to as the "Prince of Darkness."

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lease a new one. Maintenance included. Enjoy it for 24 months, turn it in. You had fun and drove a classy ride. You don't get an Aston Martin because you are on a budget.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To follow up on that, you buy it for $40k, put $10k into it. (You think tires are $99 each at Pep Boys???)

Drive it for 24 months (when its not getting service) and sell it for maybe $25k.

OR

Spend $1k/mo on the lease.

Either way you're gonna have $25k into it.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've always thought the Aston Martins were a couple steps above the Jaguars in reliability and looks but that is subjective. I've looked hard at the newer Jaguar F types and the Aston Martin DB9, Vantage, etc... and if I had the money I would have bought one already. I've seen some pretty good deals on them but I keep having this nagging statement in the back of my mind- are they cheap for the same reason BMW's get cheaper right at 5 years when the warranty runs out? If you're handy and you know and trust a good mechanic you could probably repair almost everything on a BMW, Jag, or Aston Martin with a little help and paying someone to do the diagnostics on it... whether you are up to that as part of ownership is up to you...

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 07/13/21.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I mean it's got basically the same performance as an S550 Mustang GT. If you find it luxurious, I could see it but really I'd rather have the Ford. Way eiasier to get more performance (whether straight line or road course) out of it. And the top interior is pretty nice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I mean it's got basically the same performance as an S550 Mustang GT.

James Bond did not drive a Mustang! wink

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The AM has a look very similar to a Jag XK.
Last fall I bought a 2010 XK with 50K miles in mint shape, someones summer car, stored inside. The sticker on the Jag in 2010 was a bit over $89,500, I bought it for $22k
A deprecation of $67 K over 10 years is rather steep, but you can find these around for that kind of money and end up with a great looking car with lots of performance left in them.
The ticket is to have the maintenance history, mine had a clean CarFAX , just after I bought it I put about $2000 into it by having all fluids changes and the transmission fluid and filter changed, recommended for a 10 year old Jag despite it's low millage.
A car like this is like having an high maintenance mistress, she looks beautiful, great lines but requires a lot of expensive attention, but gives you exceptional performance. 385 hp, 0-60 in 5.5 second, speedometer goes to 180mph.
If you're on a budget forget it,
I traded my 03 BMW Z4 in for it, that car was trouble free for the 17 years I owned it, but got tired of all the shifting, was looking for a late model Vette, in the 40K range, but decided a Vette was a belly button car, (everyone had one) not so with a Jag XK.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by jbmi; 07/13/21.

"The older I get, the better I was"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
40k also sounds on the high side. If you can afford 20k in maintenance and repairs in the next 5 years go for it. Like I said, there is a lot of “Ford” in that car. Our Jag XJR was basically a Lincoln LS. I’ll give you an example. I was doing suspension and it needed control arms. Exact same part. Different part number. Lincoln control arms were 80 bucks apiece. Jag’s were 300. Same part. I’ve owned plenty of high end cars and Astons are pretty much at the top of the heap when it comes to repairs. More so than Ferrari sometimes.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
limies are as good at making cars as they are at orthodontia

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hatari
Lease a new one. Maintenance included. Enjoy it for 24 months, turn it in. You had fun and drove a classy ride. You don't get an Aston Martin because you are on a budget.

you asked a public forum, THIS is what the standard response is probably gonna be. you're buying an Aston Martin and you want know if it will be expensive?

really?

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
So, anyone with actual seat time in a DB9?

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
144 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,429 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.