L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by battue
And the Military gave up the M1 and the .30-06 for the AR and the 5.56…

Just my observation….

The military went from the 30.06 to the .308 then to the .223 because of ammo weight and magazine capacity same reason they went from .45 acp to 9mm

And those that had to carry around the lighter weapon found it a better option. Not much different, than let’s say a new light weight Beretta A400 20 gauge with the plug removed. Once most carry a LW shotgun around all day, they have little inclination to going back to the likes of a Rem 1100 12 gauge. Can they shoot it better? My thoughts are most “shooters” will figure it out for an upland shotgun. Agree on weight being an advantage for a clays only shotgun.

I’ve seen the light turn on with a couple older upland hunters. The 1100’s and similar went to the closet or became trade bait.

“Rough” shooting was always popular for those Brits that couldn’t afford the driven shoots. They carried their own and walked behind the Springers and Labs.

Addition: Handled a Scottsmans....Larry McQueen...and a Brits...Ken Roebuck...rough shooting shotguns. Two fine Springer men. They were 12’s, but they were light and quick.

Couldn't say I never owned a Remington 1100.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
fyi, they reduced ammo weight because women were allowed in combat. choice....carry heavy guns and ammo with one shot one kill or the current mindset of lighten everything and fire thousands of rounds to hit what one could do with a marksman. tax money wasted. but thats another poker in the fire.

all my shotguns were weighed up to around 9lbs when I was young. but as I now age, ive been pulling it off 8 oz at a time. soon ill be back to what it was when I bought them. somewhere around 7.5lbs.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
IC B3

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by bobski
fyi, they reduced ammo weight because women were allowed in combat. choice....carry heavy guns and ammo with one shot one kill or the current mindset of lighten everything and fire thousands of rounds to hit what one could do with a marksman. tax money wasted. but thats another poker in the fire.

all my shotguns were weighed up to around 9lbs when I was young. but as I now age, ive been pulling it off 8 oz at a time. soon ill be back to what it was when I bought them. somewhere around 7.5lbs.

You sure you got the dates right bObski ?

I thought the M16 went into Combat before the womens did.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Be them light or heavy proper fit is everything. Nothing wrong with either if you can shoot em. I see too many hunters show up at my club in the fall with the 5.5 lb 12 bore that they gave zero though to fit and wonder why they beat them to death. Course a 10 pounder will pound w/o correct fit too.

So light or heavy is all good as long as the fit is correct.
They need to shoot where you look and the stocks need to fit the shooter. That IMO trumps weight

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
7 3/4# English 10ga above Hungarian 12ga below

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

My favorite waterfowl shotgun Husqvarna 51 29 1/2" barrels at 6 3/4# 7/8oz of ITX 6's works fine.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by erich; 07/16/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by passport

I see too many hunters show up at my club in the fall with the 5.5 lb 12 bore

Where does one find a 5.5lb 12 bore ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both my Bernardelli Elio and Darne come in at under 6# but just barely. Like I mentioned earlier the Baby Bretton 12ga is under 5#.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Nowadays, I shoot my 28 ga. Benelli Legacy for most of my bird hunting- at 5 lbs., it is a real pleasure to carry and shoot. Very light shotguns are not a tool for beginners- I have shot competitive trap and sporting clays for many years, with 12 ga. guns. Technique eventually becomes muscle memory, and coupled with a well-balanced and fitting firearm, hitting moving targets is no chore, regardless of gauge or weight IMO.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by LFC
Only 10 gauges that have crossed my path under 9 lbs were English muzzle loaders. I had one 9 gauge that went about 8 lbs....I've owned and hunted 3 English10ga. cartridge hammer guns one a 32" barreled Premier grade Scott it weighed close to 11 lbs....I had a lower grade 30" Scott 10 ga. that weighed in just under 10 lbs...my 30" Purdery 10 ga. weighed in just over 10lbs.
I had several light English 2.5" 12s that were 6 to 7 lbs....the 2.5" 12 guage was popular because of the theory of the square load that went back to the muzzle loading era.
I hunted a lot with a1925 2&3/4" Scott pigeon gun that went about 7.5 lbs.
To them it was more about barrel weight and balance than it was about how light they could make them.

One thing I'm in 100% agreement with the English about is they considered the guages smaller than the 12 ga. suitable for women and children.

Back in the day did the English get their wives to tote their guns...

Most could afford gun bearers and loaders while the beaters flushed their pen raised birds towards them.

I own an A. Hollis 10 gauge hammer gun that goes 8-1/4 pounds (19th century gun with thick walled Damascus barrels and 2-7/8 inch chambers) and a Darne 10 gauge (very rare) that goes 7 pounds 3 ounces, also with 2-7/8 inch chambers. I shoot RST 1-1/8 ounce loads in both without issue. You can find lightweight 10 gauge guns, but they aren't for 2 ounce Roman candle loads.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Personally I like light guns. For upland hunting, the lighter the better.
Even for Waterfowl, I would rather have lighter gun and deal with the recoil than have a boot anchor in my hands.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
heavy guns....that's what slings are for.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bobski
fyi, they reduced ammo weight because women were allowed in combat. choice....carry heavy guns and ammo with one shot one kill or the current mindset of lighten everything and fire thousands of rounds to hit what one could do with a marksman. tax money wasted. but thats another poker in the fire

IIRC the 5.56 was adopted as a standard round in the mid-50s. Long time before the ill-advised introduction of woman in combat.

One of the joys of being free to buy what we want is we can have a selection of stuff for all uses. For me the 6 lbs 2 oz of my Parker repro 28 gauge is perfect for quail and preserve pheasants but for a day shooting clays the Caesar Guerini Magnus at 8lbs gets the nod.

We're heading to SD for the pheasant opener this year. I'd take the 16 gauge Parker repro but with commercial air travel (yuck) weight limitations I don't want to haul 3 days worth of shells and I'm a bit concerned about finding 16 gauge ammo on arrival. This is a great opportunity to buy a new field 12 gauge. grin We headed out yesterday am with checkbook in hand to purchase an AyA and called the shop to let them know we were on our way and they had sold it the day before. cry Oh well, the hunt for the guns can be almost as much fun as the time afield.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1234, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,794
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.