Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by cra1948
As a teenager, in the '60's, I was taught that those cool British cars and motorcycles were better to let someone else own. They leaked oil, had funny engineering, and things (especially electrical things) broke or didn't work right. Nothing I've seen in the intervening 60 years has changed my mind.

The Germans didn't bomb the Lucas Electric plant. They considered them an ally.

Another fable....I've owned a few Jaguars in my day and zero issues with electrical stuff. I've never owned an Aston Martin, but for that kind of money I'd jump on it..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rem141r
limies are as good at making cars as they are at orthodontia

Deep cut, right there....

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sheister
Comparing a Mustang of any vintage or pedigree to an Aston Martin is more than an apples to oranges comparison. Guys who are in the market for a DB9 usually aren't looking for a GT500 Mustang, and vice versa- two completely different worlds.

Yep. Track day or morning run on a twisty road the Mustang would be my choice but the Aston is a GT car. Spending all day in it at high speeds on a variety of roads is where it excels.

Dave Demauro wrote a whole series of articles about life with a used Aston as a daily driver - https://jalopnik.com/here-s-what-it-really-costs-to-own-a-45-000-used-aston-1781264600 is one of them.

Frankly, if it's been maintained and you want to do it why not? Cars are not investments for the most part - enjoy what we want.

Last edited by Pugs; 07/14/21. Reason: new link

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
W
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Higgine
but that new corvette seems cooler than any DB9....

For $100k plus, it should.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Off topic -

I've seen a definite uptick in Maseratis on the road here lately.

Me

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Originally Posted by Higgine
but that new corvette seems cooler than any DB9....

For $100k plus, it should.

The C8 Vette is high on my wish list, but unrealistic on my salary.

The DB9 at the price point it's being offered is an opportunity which doesn't come around often.

I've always found Astons to be head turners.

Pugs thanks for the link. I saw that when I began to do my research.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal
Off topic -

Here too. My cousin had one and promptly sold it when he found out it needed a $5,000.00 (standard - pads and rotors) brake job. Not sure if it had ceramic discs. Outrageous.

Last edited by High_Noon; 07/14/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Off topic -

Thank Bergstroms for that. The dealership's about 2 miles away from me. It's the same spot as the Porsche, Alfa, and Jag lot.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Higginez
I can't make sense of the Aston Martin thing. It seems to be a rich guy thing bragging about how much money he paid to have a shop build him a car. The new ones look cool for sure, but that new corvette seems cooler than any DB9....

The new corvette is a joke as a perfomance car. It's slower on most tracks than a C7 Grand Sport, costs a fortune to buy, costs a fortune to work on and has a locked ECU.

If you want to look like eurotrash with a man purse I guess it acomplishes that though laugh

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 07/14/21.
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm a Porsche guy but the Aston has always caught my eye. If it's fun money that you are spending, why not? If you need to totally rely on it for a daily driver, maybe not......Porsche, Aston, and the like are more costly to maintain but as a hobby car they are flat out fun! Would not let my 911 go for anything....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by trplem
Off topic -

Thank Bergstroms for that. The dealership's about 2 miles away from me. It's the same spot as the Porsche, Alfa, and Jag lot.

Yeah - GF bought her Mini there and I'll be down there on Sat for service on my bike. Should take a hot lap through the lot.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Westman
I'm a Porsche guy but the Aston has always caught my eye. If it's fun money that you are spending, why not? If you need to totally rely on it for a daily driver, maybe not......Porsche, Aston, and the like are more costly to maintain but as a hobby car they are flat out fun! Would not let my 911 go for anything....

I could very much like a 911 done Magnus Walker style.

Me

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Maseratis have I believe the highest depreciation of any brand. I’m seeing a fair number around too. Those will of course disappear when the owners find out what it’s like to maintain them. A 5 year old 150k Maserati can often get picked up for less than a third of its MSRP.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't owned a DB9, but had a Vantage for quite awhile that was flawless. Traded that one on a DB11 with the Mercedes AMG M177 V8. It was THAT car that pushed us to AMG's, my wife and E53 and me a GT63 - I'd not go back. Of course I've owned Porsche's from an E series 911T to a later 997 and wouldn't go back there either. I'm too old and have shifted gears to luxury/touring vs balls-to-the wall performance. If I were still in that mode would wholeheartedly recommend either Aston or Porsche.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Longbob

Thanks for that Longbob, interesting

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Thanks Journeyman!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

You are welcome. Some of it wasn't too much of a surprise about how it is more or less considered that Porsches are the most reliable for the exotics. What was a surprise was the comment about how much the exotics have improved on reliability and quality from 2010 and newer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

You are welcome. Some of it wasn't too much of a surprise about how it is more or less considered that Porsches are the most reliable for the exotics. What was a surprise was the comment about how much the exotics have improved on reliability and quality from 2010 and newer.
Haven't read/watched it - but such outcome would probably be due to modern tech/QC applications and more commonality of components. Just a guess.

Last edited by CCCC; 07/14/21.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I own the Jag XK8 with ford 4.2L engine 295HP 2004. Bought it with 50,000 miles has 53,000 now. Mine is a ware coupe.

So far I have only changed all the fluids. It has a 6 speed ZF trans I change to the Ford fluid for a 6 Speed ZF as it is $7.50 a quart

Jag ATF is $30.00 a quart. I had one coolant leak near the intake manifold. Plus I replaced on head lamp lense for about $325.00

parts only. So far pretty cheap to own. Lots easier to get in and out of compared to a Corvette.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
674 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 3,049 guests, and 1,448 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,673
Posts18,399,532
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.