Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Originally Posted by John_Havard
During the '80's I owned a 16' Avon white water raft & rowing frame - the whole schnizzle. I did four or five float hunts above the Yukon. If you've seen the movie "The Revenant" then you can have some idea about what a float hunt will be like. After the first camp is broken down and set back up again everything is wet and stays that way the rest of the trip. Constantly setting up camp and breaking it back down every day or so sucks. The wind is ALWAYS in your face, no matter how many twists and turns the river makes. And God help you if you're floating navigable waters where locals hunt. Your raft may well be sliced up when you return to camp from a day of hunting. Overall a float hunt is a miserable option compared to other types of moose hunts.

The ONLY two good points about float hunting versus a fly-in camp are: 1) when you get a moose you don't have to carry it very far, and 2) you can often have nice fishing to augment your freeze dried meals.

I stopped float hunting because even back in the '80's float hunting was becoming very popular. The last float hunt I organized and went on I saw two other camps. In other words I was hunting the same territory behind two other groups. And the river I was on was not easily accessible. It required a half-mile haul from the drop off point to reach the river. That is not why you want to hunt moose in Alaska. If you want crowds just stay in the L48.

If you can be assured of being the only party on the float and if you are assured that you will not have interference from locals along your way then float hunting can be a successful, albeit miserable, way to hunt moose. If you will not be the only party on the river or if you will be floating navigable waters then do not go.

We saw plenty of other floaters when we did the Sheenjek in early 2000’s took two moose & a griz, wolf got away 🤦🏼‍♂️

I did the Sheenjak too. Had an awesome time!

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ManyMoons
WELL WORTH WATCHING...I've donr 6+ drop hunts in Alaska....Plan w ell with quality outdoorsmen,,experianced in the wild...These are tough hunts..Don't shoot a moose 2 miles from camp,,imagine packing 600#'s over rough country..Enjoyable if you'e all fit.,.

The math on moose get a lot of people in trouble. Using your 2 miles from camp.
10-12 loads @60 lbs each
At 4 miles round trip is 40 miles
1/2 with a heavy pack.

(Yes I know a lot of guys pack heavier loads)

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Long-long-long ago my hunting partner and I packed a moose out from the very back of "Peters Creek" just north of Anchorage, way back "past" Bellicose Mountain, at the very end of the valley. We were not moose hunting, we had been Dall Sheep hunting and our camp got blown off the mountain, and destroyed. It must be near six miles back there.

Last edited by AGL4now; 07/31/21.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Don't need frivolous sht for moose/caribou:

Over half ah decade ago, I liquidated every thing I owned and cashed out all my spindly savings to buy land and start up a boat building company and a sled dog kennel. Things were so fkn thin, I couldn't even afford one of the boats I built!

Had ONE gun ONE chainsaw. The land I bought had a washer dryer combo in the connex that came with the land.

Fk the guns, having only one chainsaw darn near brings an alligator tear to my eye. I'm a saw fanatic.

Sold all my landcruisers, for a work truck. All I could afford was a lowly dodge one ton, and I hate Dodges.

Anyhow, I sold that washer and dryer as I decided it was time to get tah hunting again. Had just enough for a piece of sht canoe off Craigslist and an ancient boat motor that didn't work.

Sht was so tight I had a used coleman tent.

Bam, two bull caribou and a good bull moose off the nasty delta river.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 07/31/21.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The key to a decent moose/caribou hunt is good loaves of sourdough bread and potatoes

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 07/31/21.
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
The key to a decent moose/caribou hunt is good loaves of sourdough bread and potatoes

I prefer one or two nephews with strong backs...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JeffP
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

I prefer one or two nephews with strong backs...

One gin pole beats two nephews every time.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Never had the room in the plane for more than my pack...

If I lived up there, I definitely would had mechanized the operation....

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 222Sako, 21, 12308300, 69 invisible), 2,743 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.