-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats Sock and Co. on getting some tags. Nothing beats hunting with your kids and family. Wishing you the best of luck. It sounds like things are lining up nicely with your bull tag as some pre-scouting for your daughters. Take lots of pics, enjoy the moment because kids grow up way to fast.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, Lonny!

Appreciate all of the well-wishes, gents. The girls are excited and I'll be sure to update post-hunt.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nice. I hope all tags get filled!

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Good luck to your girls!

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The encouragement hunts is one thing NM does right for sure.

Congrats and good luck.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Beautiful family! Cherish every minute together.

+1

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
I'll be chasing a Bull Elk in the same area a month earlier so I hope it's an active year!

The late October bull hunt was a bit tough. Bulls were few and really spread out. A couple were solo but most of the small sample we saw were still with the cows. I was the only one successful of our group of 4 hunters, and most of the other hunters we talked to weren't having great success. The silver lining is that cows seemed plentiful so I hope that's a good sign for the girl's late November hunt.

This is the decent 6 point I shot on the evening of the 3rd day:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well done,,
Heading to unit 13 first week of Dec. for cows as well.
Keep us posted how the ladies do.
good luck

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'll be chasing a Bull Elk in the same area a month earlier so I hope it's an active year!

The late October bull hunt was a bit tough. Bulls were few and really spread out. A couple were solo but most of the small sample we saw were still with the cows. I was the only one successful of our group of 4 hunters, and most of the other hunters we talked to weren't having great success. The silver lining is that cows seemed plentiful so I hope that's a good sign for the girl's late November hunt.

Awesome Elk SP!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, brother. Leaving Wednesday morning for the girls' cow hunt. My folks are already down there and report a lot of cows moving around, the weather looks decent, and we're gettin' stuff loaded.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Nice, congrats.

It was a strange year just about everywhere for elk. Places we always find elk were void of any.

Good luck with the girls.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nicely done on the 6x6, brother Sock !

Now get your girls some cows.

👍🏼

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Awaiting updates.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
That’s great I am in 55A and they got a nice 6x5 up behind the house last week.Glad to see the young ladies taking such a interest in hunting elk.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Alright, we rolled back in yesterday afternoon after a long, eventful, and ultimately successful hunt. Unfortunately, my youngest daughter was not able to go this year. I don't think I'd mentioned it before because we weren't sure if he'd be able to go, but I'd also bought a tag for my sister-in-law's nephew. This kid has had a pretty tough go of it for a lot of reasons and I was happy to grab him a tag. He's been elk hunting before but hasn't been successful.

We arrived at camp early Wednesday afternoon. Scouting that evening was great and we saw plenty of cow elk. They were a little stirred up from the bull hunt that just ended, but not too bad. We got into the elk again early Thanksgiving morning, and again that evening so things were looking great for opening day on Friday. You guessed it...not an elk to be seen Friday morning. Kids were a little bummed as they had an ongoing bet about who would get their's first that morning smile

Friday evening started out the same as that morning with no elk to be found. We kept working an area where we knew they had to be, and my daughter was able to connect with a big cow about 20 minutes before the end of hunting hours. It was a decent shot at about 70 yards and the cow didn't make it far, but she required a finishing shot. This was a first for my daughter as her 2 previous elk and 1 deer all died on the spot. My phone was taking really crummy pics for some reason, but here's one of the better ones with my daughter and my Dad:

Hunting for the next few days was a mixed bag. We were able to reliably find elk, but my sorta-nephew was a little slow on the uptake when we got into them and didn't get a shot. When he was able to shoot, he missed several times. We went back to camp and checked the zero on the rifle he had borrowed and it was close enough, but the scope on it had pretty fine crosshairs and was difficult to see on dark backgrounds...like elk hide in fading light. I had him shoot my MZ which my girl had used on her elk, and he did well and found the scope more to his liking. Back into the field with a couple more missed opportunities, and the kid was being pretty hard on himself. As I mentioned, he's had a rough road which I won't get into, but the fact that he was out there with us and staying after it is pretty damned awesome in its own right.

Lots of effort and time finally payed off in the last 10 minutes of the hunt! Kid made what looked like a great shot on a cow at about 100 yards. The elk all scattered and my daughter thought she had a line on where the hit cow had gone. Everyone involved got busy trying to find a sign she'd been hit, and it was virtually dark by the time the boy spotted the first blood. What followed was an awesome effort by the two yound hunters to find the cow. It took about 1.5 hours of tracking in the dark, finding combinations of blood and tracks which sometimes disappeared. On two occasions my daughter's ears were able to pinpoint where the cow was, and the boy showed a true knack for finding small blood spots. Everyone did their share and the end result was a first elk for the youn man! This late night elk resulted in us staying in camp for an extra day, but absolutely nobody minded one bit. This isn't the best pic but everyone was pretty tired on this last day of the hunt:

Overall it was a great time for all! My daughter got her third elk and my sorta-nephew finally he got his first (with a good little tracking story to go with it)!

Last edited by SockPuppet; 12/03/21.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Righteous, Sock' !!!

Hope your other daughter is ok, too.

Last edited by New_2_99s; 12/03/21. Reason: **

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We got into the elk again early Thanksgiving morning, and again that evening so things were looking great for opening day on Friday. You guessed it...not an elk to be seen Friday morning.
I've seen that many times. If they see you and start to move, most likely they won't quit moving for 5 miles. They won't be back until someone over there spooks them back.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That’s cool, Sock !

Congrats to your daughter, and to you for giving your sorta-nephew a chance, until he got things sorted.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Doesn’t get better than that. Congrats to all.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

Congrats!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 38 invisible), 1,920 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,440
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.