Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Put in an order for a sandwich for lunch over the phone and went to go pick it up. Invariably at the check out there is a tip jar. I never put anything in that thing and sometimes I get the stick eye vibe from the entitled millennial behind the counter. Anyone ever leave a tip when you're just picking up an order? What about at the serve yourself buffets? At the local Chinese place they pick up your used plate between trips to the trough, but it's not like you're getting "served".

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Picking up - nope
I don't do buffets - haven't in 10+ years but when I did they were Chinese and I didn't tip there either.

Me

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I really struggle with this one! Unless you wait on me you are doing your job IMHO. Your employer pays you to pour my coffee, etc.

Good Shooting!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sure Slummy will be by soon and tell us that he leaves a tip at the Chinese place when the spin doll tells him "me so horny".

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Fast food... no

Buffet here the serving girl refills drinks and cleans plates... I put a couple bucks down for the wife and I.

Kent

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
No tips in the counter jugs for stuff I pick up.

I may leave a buck or two for the little Chinee gal at the buffet if I feel sorry for her, but I know good and well it is going to those creepy little bastards at the register who are importing all those gals in cargo containers.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Regular restaurants and bars - I tend to tip generously.

Just these 2 instances - not so much.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hunting1
I really struggle with this one! Unless you wait on me you are doing your job IMHO. Your employer pays you to pour my coffee, etc.

Not really. You are pay the owner for the coffee. You tip to pay for the server. At modest restaurants even around here pay for servers is far, far below min wage - "plus tips".

I've changed my tipping habits over the years. I once was also of the philosphy that the owner should take care of the employees witht he price of the food. I had a few restaurant people expalin to me how the business works. I am more generous these days.

Yes, I will throw in nominal tip for take out. Somebody has to box everything up and package it for you. That is a service.

YMMV

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
No, no meal brought to a table, no tip.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If the person I deal with is pleasant and friendly I will leave a buck or two. I believe in rewarding good behavior. Too many people don't go to work at all, those who make the effort to show up and do their job well should know that they are appreciated.

#brokediksandfuddsdon'ttip

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I usually leave a couple bucks for the girl that cleans up our dishes.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
No, no meal brought to a table, no tip.

That's basically where I am on this.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
oops, double tap

mike r

Last edited by lvmiker; 07/14/21.

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by hunting1

Not really. You are pay the owner for the coffee. You tip to pay for the server. At modest restaurants even around here pay for servers is far, far below min wage - "plus tips".

I've changed my tipping habits over the years. I once was also of the philosphy that the owner should take care of the employees witht he price of the food. I had a few restaurant people expalin to me how the business works. I am more generous these days.

Yes, I will throw in nominal tip for take out. Somebody has to box everything up and package it for you. That is a service.

YMMV

This is where I am.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
It's just the the person that brings the food, if you want to go back far enough, even past the agronomist, or the survivors that platted the farm, even to the ship builders that made the ship that brought the farmer's ancestors to the New World.

Tip, or not tip as you please.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Not a wealthy man, and never will be, but I have empathy for fellow working stiffs and do leave a couple bucks in the jar when I pick up a pizza or Chinese. Not going to hurt me financially, and if it brings a smile to someone's face, it's money well spent.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not when I pick it up...........who knows where it goes from that jar?

Grammar is important.
Capitol letters are the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" & "helping your uncle jack off a horse".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Locally owned places only- as the spirit moves me.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like to leave a generous tip for a good waitress. I’m not tipping if I walk up to the counter to order and to pick up my food.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Not for takeout. Some restaurants that I usually get sit down dinner but are on Covid restriction and still offering take out, I tip, because I know they’re hurting. It’s not their normal business model.

Buffets, I tip. Couple years ago I was out to Chinese buffet on Christmas Day and there was a little slip of a 15 year old girl busting her hump cleaning tables. Doing far more than the servers. I left the servers a tip, but gave her an extra $20 on the way out the door. She deserved it.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

85 members (AGL4now, 35, Ashworth, 160user, 41rem, Akhutr, 12 invisible), 989 guests, and 725 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,500
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.