Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Borchardt
The Best Stop, Scott, LA

I have to fight the steering wheel on my Tundra when east bound on I-10 to keep it from taking that exit. I lose.

Good stuff for sure and you can empty your wallet in there.

And the Cracklings.
And the Boudin,

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Whittington's Jerky, as per Hanco, has had a brick and mortar store since forever.
Must be doing something right.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jack Links Teriyaki

Sam......

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Managua beef jerky is what I used to get when I was spending a lot of time at KTP.
Best damn jerky I have had that wasn't home made.
Made with real meat,not that chopped and reformed crap

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
Deer

That

FJB & FJT
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My favorite is made out of thin sliced deer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Excellent jerky !!
Used to get alot of it.
Cant find local anymore.

But it is $$$

MINGUA

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
No Man's Land, mild

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Pollacks jerky in Falls City.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I get jerky that's made by a local place, Knee Deep Cattle Co.

There jalipeno (SP?) is dried out, almost "bone dry" so you gotta really chew to eat it!

Darn good stuff!

There's another place near Cave junction, Or. Taylors that also makes GREAT jerky.

Virgil B.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Raeford
Deer

That

Oh stop with the venison snobbery.

Those of you claiming such have never had well-done elk jerky, moose jerky, bison jerky or the absolute best (in terms of texture) .... big axis jerky.

Jerky making is an art and, as my Grandpappy used to say, a good jerky maker can turn a frozen dog into a tasty piece of dried meat. It's more about the seasoning than the meat. Once dried, dehydrated, most red meats have very little distinguishable taste variables. Muscle meat is muscle meat, the protein structure on a molecular level is nearly identical in all red meats ... the only difference being the difference in chain lengths of the actual protein molecule.

Jerked fish and fowl (not smoked mind you) are relatively new to the human scene but jerked red meats have been around for millenia beginning with the Incas (some claim .... although common sense causes me to question that quite honestly) ... the Incas apparently were jerking lima in the 11th century. Muslims were apparently smoking camel in the 16th century according to written record. Jerky is not the same as smoked ... smoked fish and fowl are the oldest forms of protien preservation and can be dated back 5000 years or more.

Seasoning is what makes the difference when it comes to actual jerky (as some have alluded-to in this thread) and the protein to moisture ratio, when combined with the seasonings, is what makes it both shelf stable and appealing to human taste buds. There is an art to it. The meat itself is more about the 1st cut (the actual section of the animal from which the meat was taken), the pre-aging process and the 2nd cut (the way the 1st cut is dissected into strips to be cured and dried ... cross grain, long grain, diagonally, etc.).

Sweeteners are a very new addition to the process ... molasses, brown sugar and natural stevia are corruptors of the process imho and should be considered criminal. Salt, peppers, smoke and various dried herbs are a purist's ingredients with very careful consideration given to the smoke, the wood used and to never ever allow the heat to reach above 155° F .... which, pre-thermometer days, required an experienced jerker.

Proper jerky making leads to something even better .... pemmican. The shame of modern mass produced so-called jerky is that it is a half-hearted attempt at a cross between jerky and pemmican that has been bastardized into something barely edible covered in nitrates and sugars and sold to an ignorant public as jerky ... when it would more apropos to label it slow-poison meat.

Venison is good because we hunt it, butcher it and preserve it ourselves ... and there is a lot of it eqch season. Well, most of us do. We take pride in our kill and our recipes and the nourishment it provides us ... there is satisfaction in the process. But for some of us who raise our own beef we take equal pride and find equal satisfaction in our beef jerky. We're surprised at just how good our turkey jerky has become. We love the opportunity to jerk moose and elk when tags allow.

No offense, but "deer" jerky is not a worthy descriptor of a "best jerky" asked-for by the OP friend. It's almost patronizing .... it'sdefinitely dismissive and nonchalant. It's like answering "oil" when asked for a favorite painter or "guitar" when asked for a favorite musician or "big" when asked for a favorite dog.

Vension that has been over salted or poorly cured or put-up with too much moisture and turned rancid is some of the worst jerky one might ever encounter.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
^^Bruh. Relax. It’s just jerky.

12344mag got me addicted to the stuff from a local butcher. Buy a couple pounds every two weeks or so. If I don’t hide it, my boys will wipe it out in one sitting. Paul is a damned enabler.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not being a snob

Just use what I have. I have made elk jerky before, it was some of my best. Way better than deer, in that one instance.

As for doing jerky, I do a lot.

I turn a whole a deer into jerky. Other schmucks be trying ration a deer and cut foo-foo medallions out of backstraps Lol

I make backstraps into jerky. boo boo

Other days, me and ole Ren50 will just toss em in a ditch

😃

A
AML Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Speedway carries the mingua Jerky. I buy it most times I stop there.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Jack Links Teriyaki

Lol

You are joking, right Sam?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I'll have to look when I get home. I picked up a pack of jerky at a Rez gas station on the way home from the cabin last Saturday that is pretty dang good. I'll have to see what brand it is.

I like the jerky I make out of deer on the dehydrator but it sure doesn't last long.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Not being a snob

Just use what I have. I have made elk jerky before, it was some of my best. Never have had anything other than beef or venison to make it from, I'm sure it would be good.. Way better than deer, in that one instance.

As for doing jerky, I do a lot. Same here

I turn a whole a deer into jerky. Same here Other schmucks be trying ration a deer and cut foo-foo medallions out of backstraps Lol

I make backstraps into jerky. boo boo yep

😃

Most don't know how time consuming making[good] jerky is.

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Raeford
Not being a snob

Just use what I have. I have made elk jerky before, it was some of my best. Never have had anything other than beef or venison to make it from, I'm sure it would be good.. Way better than deer, in that one instance.

As for doing jerky, I do a lot. Same here

I turn a whole a deer into jerky. Same here Other schmucks be trying ration a deer and cut foo-foo medallions out of backstraps Lol

I make backstraps into jerky. boo boo yep

😃

Most don't know how time consuming making[good] jerky is.

This.

There is a reason why it is not cheap to purchase.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not being a snob

Just use what I have. I have made elk jerky before, it was some of my best. Way better than deer, in that one instance.

As for doing jerky, I do a lot.

I turn a whole a deer into jerky. Other schmucks be trying ration a deer and cut foo-foo medallions out of backstraps Lol

I make backstraps into jerky. boo boo

😃

God bless you.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Jack Links Teriyaki

Lol

You are joking, right Sam?

you are joking to question that? lol

Sam......

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,546 guests, and 708 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,536
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.