Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I have purchased a 22 Hornet Low Wall. It has beautiful wood and I’m thinking of having the barrel bored and rifled to a round for deer hunting. I’m having a tough time deciding which cartridge for chambering. I have a ton of LAPUA 6 BR brass. I also have a 6 BRX reamer and a 30 BRX reamer. Sounds about right for a low recoiling light weight deer rifle. I’ve also got tons of 30-30 brass. Hey, that’s more traditional and you I could always make it Ackley Improved for a little more zip. Has anyone ever done such a crazy project and how did it turn out?
Thanks

BP-B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I would leave it as is and purchase something to deer hunt with . Low wall in Hornet is too classy to screw it up.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
I would leave it as is and purchase something to deer hunt with . Low wall in Hornet is too classy to screw it up.

This. ^^^^^^^^^^
I just bought one of the fancy Ruger #1's with the case colored receiver in 22 Hornet because I couldn't find a low wall in a Hornet. Had one in a 243 and regret selling it.

Last edited by GSPfan; 07/15/21.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I am glad others spoke up first. If the OP decides to sell the Hornet, I recommend the 6.5x55 currently listed for the Low Wall.

I dont know if the OP can find one, but; that is how I would go to meet or exceed all the qualities of the 2 rounds the OP mentioned.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Good advice.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There is now a Low Wall in 243 Win. listed on gunbroker, currently under $1,000.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by GSPfan

This. ^^^^^^^^^^
I just bought one of the fancy Ruger #1's with the case colored receiver in 22 Hornet because I couldn't find a low wall in a Hornet. Had one in a 243 and regret selling it.

Absolutely! ^^^

NRA Patron
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Sounds like the advice is steering me into NOT messing up this rifle. I understand the reasoning BUT I’m not too concerned with preserving “ a low wall MUST be only this caliber” type thinking. I just really like this rifle but not so much the caliber. This rifle is what I want to carry hunting in the fall. What about some straight wall rounds?
Is the BRX idea just too crazy or too bastardizing for comfort. I certainly can take some criticism and I don’t take it personally. Any other ideas?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Sell it and buy what you want. I have a High Wall in 38-55 thats a nice rifle.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
What caliber do you want? I don't know how much meat is in the octagonal barrel that you can eat up through the reboring process. A re-barrel job will cost a significant % of what a Low Wall will cost, if you replace the octagonal barrel with an octagonal barrel.

Do what you want but they only made so many of the Low Walls in each caliber and there won't be any more. I would really like to see the Hornet preserved. Maybe someone here will trade you a Low Wall in a deer caliber for the Low Wall Hornet...

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought one a long time ago. I put a new Douglas barrel in 250 Savage. My gunsmith had to put in new extractor parts.
I still have the old 22Hornet barrel and parts, if I want to convert it back. I like it the way it is now.

Last edited by Swede65; 07/16/21.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
What caliber do you want? I don't know how much meat is in the octagonal barrel that you can eat up through the reboring process. A re-barrel job will cost a significant % of what a Low Wall will cost, if you replace the octagonal barrel with an octagonal barrel.

Do what you want but they only made so many of the Low Walls in each caliber and there won't be any more. I would really like to see the Hornet preserved. Maybe someone here will trade you a Low Wall in a deer caliber for the Low Wall Hornet...

^^^^^^
This

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
There is now a Low Wall in 243 Win. listed on gunbroker, currently under $1,000.

Wow! If it’s in prime condition, that a steal of a deal!

You’ll (or at least I would) shoot and hunt with a hornet way more often than most folks would with a deer hunting cartridge.....

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always thought a LW in .30/30 or .25/35 would be a great stalking rifle, but I wouldn’t chop one to get there. Here, I could just use a .223 with good bullets, or even the Hornet for does, if I can find some Barnes 45s.

I have a Hornet and a .44. Just put a See All Micro sight on the .44, which will allow me to hunt without glasses, as well as be much better in low light than the tang peep or barrel sights. If I can hit okay at 100, I’ll be satisfied. I used a Skinner dovetail adapter to mount the See All.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I always thought a LW in .30/30 or .25/35 would be a great stalking rifle, but I wouldn’t chop one to get there. Here, I could just use a .223 with good bullets, or even the Hornet for does, if I can find some Barnes 45s.

I think the Barnes 45's would work well.

I've owned any number of High-Walls

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is my first low wall.It is chambered in the 223 Rem.

Usually they are hard to find at the price I am willing to pay,

I mounted a scope and took it to the range to try it out.

Shooting light is over at 8:30 and I did not get around to "zero" until a skosh after 8 PM.

Only had about 15 minutes but I did not want to leave before I had a chance to shoot it.

on paper and adjusting to zero.

I think it is going to do fine.

Ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Looks like it'll never be a shooter. You should let me take it off your hands...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ditto. That's one that has so much charm as-is that I couldn't bring myself to mess with it. If a LW in a "hunting caliber" is desired, I would sell the Hornet and buy a different one. There are lots of guys out there that would love to have a LW Hornet, me included.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Got another question.
I’m also thinking of shortening the barrel from 24” to 20” and maybe shorten the LOP a little to. I have a small low power scope that I plan to mount. I am looking to make it a very handy go to rifle that’s fun to hunt with. I once had a Blaser K95 that was a great rifle and this Low Wall might be that kind of rifle but more of an American classic.
Anybody ever had a STUBBY LOW WALL?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Arghhh!!! That'll wreck the balance for sure, and create a loud ear ringer. Remember that since it doesn't have a bolt action or even a lever action-length receiver attached to it, it isn't much longer as is compared to a 20" barreled something else. If you want a butt heavy gun that doesn't handle well, go for it. I have hunted the jungle-like laurel and brush of the Appalachians all my life with long barreled guns including Pennsylvania long rifles and 30" barreled SxS shotguns and never once felt handicapped. If you're in stuff that's so thick you can't shoulder a regular length barrel, you got other more important issues to deal with.

I looked at a couple High Wall Trappers recently and found them to be a joke, which is probably why those guns go begging everywhere they're offered for sale.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fourbore
I am glad others spoke up first. If the OP decides to sell the Hornet, I recommend the 6.5x55 currently listed for the Low Wall.

I dont know if the OP can find one, but; that is how I would go to meet or exceed all the qualities of the 2 rounds the OP mentioned.

I’ve got the Hornet, have the above mentioned Swede on order. Late fall is expected delivery.

I’d leave the Hornet alone, but to each his own.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
115 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 17 invisible), 1,360 guests, and 725 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,851
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.