Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
It's been a while now.

I recall a good family friend under coating a car on a hot summer night. What a mess!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Weekly cash drawing was at the east intersection on Main Street at 9:00. Prior to that, people did their shopping, got a nickel bag of popcorn from Stan's popcorn wagon, and visited. After the drawing, I would meet up with Dad at Nelson's furniture store where he would be visiting with Earl. We would go to the Southside Cafe where they would have coffee and visit with other men. I would sit quietly and listen to them as I enjoyed my 25-cent hamburger (which came in a basket with potato chips.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only thing that stayed open till 10pm where I grew up was the picture show on weekends and the hamburger joint. Everything else closed by 5 or so, cause they opened early.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Weekly cash drawing was at the east intersection on Main Street at 9:00. Prior to that, people did their shopping, got a nickel bag of popcorn from Stan's popcorn wagon, and visited. After the drawing, I would meet up with Dad at Nelson's furniture store where he would be visiting with Earl. We would go to the Southside Cafe where they would have coffee and visit with other men. I would sit quietly and listen to them as I enjoyed my 25-cent hamburger (which came in a basket with potato chips.)

I can remember getting a cheeseburger, chips, and a coke for $.25 cents as a kid in the late 60’s with my uncle at the local pool hall. I think the same meal was about .40 cents when I’d go with Mom to the local Drugstore. Ice Cream float, IIRC was $.25 cents.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Only thing that stayed open till 10pm where I grew up was the picture show on weekends and the hamburger joint. Everything else closed by 5 or so, cause they opened early.

We didn't even have a picture show where I grew up.

They rolled up the sidewalks before dark. smile

Dry county, too. No alcohol sales in the county.

There was a guy in the next county who got rich by building a liquor store just past the county line. That was the going to place for all the dry counties to the north. grin

Last edited by rockinbbar; 07/13/21.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Only time businesses stayed open past 6 on Saturday was Christmas.

Most everything closed at 12 noon on Wednesday. Had one picture show and one drive in.

The Dairy Queen stayed open late on Fridays after football games and Saturdays, walk up service only no indoor dining, big parking lot in the back to hang out.

Sundays, a couple of local restaurants open for after church lunch but that was it until the 70's.

Dry county, had to cross the river over the old steel bridge over the Savannah River. Usually went to Jr's for a beer, $2.00 for a six pack of PBR's in steel cans, church key was extra .05. drive up honk your horn no ID necessary.

Long time ago....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Oldman03

We didn't even have a picture show where I grew up.

They rolled up the sidewalks before dark. smile

Dry county, too. No alcohol sales in the county.

There was a guy in the next county who got rich by building a liquor store just past the county line. That was the going to place for all the dry counties to the north. grin

I forgot to mention the picture show and hamburger joint was 10 miles away, in the next town. Our town was like yours..... went to bed when the chickens did. Dry parish also. The 'Hill' in Ar. was the nearest liquor.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Casey's was the only store open until 10pm on Saturday night when I moved here. Then we got a 24hr grocery store. They stayed open for late night beer sales and early morning deliveries. Now there are too many to list.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
When I was little kid we had free movie in the park
On Main Street there was a permanent movie board
Like a drive in we all just sat in the grass. All the stores stayed open and hundreds of people gathered in town
Same little town is all but dead now even the bar closed.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
719 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 75 invisible), 2,731 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.