Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Jack Links Teriyaki

Lol

You are joking, right Sam?

you are joking to question that? lol

lol

To each their own I guess. Maybe it's that I don't like Jack Links texture or that I hate Teriyaki flavored jerky or both. haha

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For store bought the stufff they sell at Buc-ee's is pretty good . You know it has a beaver on the label .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
Not being a snob

Just use what I have. I have made elk jerky before, it was some of my best. Way better than deer, in that one instance.

As for doing jerky, I do a lot.

I turn a whole a deer into jerky. Other schmucks be trying ration a deer and cut foo-foo medallions out of backstraps Lol

I make backstraps into jerky. boo boo

Other days, me and ole Ren50 will just toss em in a ditch

😃

How do you keep your homemade stuff from getting tough as shoe leather? Any good recipes to share?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Didn't you read the OP? It's supposed to be shoe leather tough. grin

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Borchardt
The Best Stop, Scott, LA

That place rocks!

We hit it every year on our way from Michigan to Houston, TX. Drive straight thru, time it so we hit it about lunch time. Load up on cracklins, boudin balls and jerky.

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
For store bought the stufff they sell at Buc-ee's is pretty good . You know it has a beaver on the label .

I've actually had beaver jerky .... it was a little greasy for me. Stringy too. Which brings-up a good point. It's not cool to use greasy meat to make jerky.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Another vote for deer. Going to prep a batch tomorrow to put in the smoker this weekend.

3825 24336
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I used to make a lot of deer jerky but haven't in years.

Jack Links is very good for store bought. Walmart Great Value is practically the same and 10% cheaper.

Jack Links Hickory is excellent with Johnnie Walker Black.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The Best Stop is awesome. Jerky, boudin, sausage, anything. Stop every year on my way to the World Skeet shoot in San Antonio.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by SCRooster
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by slumlord
Deer

That

Oh stop with the venison snobbery.

Those of you claiming such have never had well-done elk jerky, moose jerky, bison jerky or the absolute best (in terms of texture) .... big axis jerky.

Jerky making is an art and, as my Grandpappy used to say, a good jerky maker can turn a frozen dog into a tasty piece of dried meat. It's more about the seasoning than the meat. Once dried, dehydrated, most red meats have very little distinguishable taste variables. Muscle meat is muscle meat, the protein structure on a molecular level is nearly identical in all red meats ... the only difference being the difference in chain lengths of the actual protein molecule.

Jerked fish and fowl (not smoked mind you) are relatively new to the human scene but jerked red meats have been around for millenia beginning with the Incas (some claim .... although common sense causes me to question that quite honestly) ... the Incas apparently were jerking lima in the 11th century. Muslims were apparently smoking camel in the 16th century according to written record. Jerky is not the same as smoked ... smoked fish and fowl are the oldest forms of protien preservation and can be dated back 5000 years or more.

Seasoning is what makes the difference when it comes to actual jerky (as some have alluded-to in this thread) and the protein to moisture ratio, when combined with the seasonings, is what makes it both shelf stable and appealing to human taste buds. There is an art to it. The meat itself is more about the 1st cut (the actual section of the animal from which the meat was taken), the pre-aging process and the 2nd cut (the way the 1st cut is dissected into strips to be cured and dried ... cross grain, long grain, diagonally, etc.).

Sweeteners are a very new addition to the process ... molasses, brown sugar and natural stevia are corruptors of the process imho and should be considered criminal. Salt, peppers, smoke and various dried herbs are a purist's ingredients with very careful consideration given to the smoke, the wood used and to never ever allow the heat to reach above 155° F .... which, pre-thermometer days, required an experienced jerker.

Proper jerky making leads to something even better .... pemmican. The shame of modern mass produced so-called jerky is that it is a half-hearted attempt at a cross between jerky and pemmican that has been bastardized into something barely edible covered in nitrates and sugars and sold to an ignorant public as jerky ... when it would more apropos to label it slow-poison meat.

Venison is good because we hunt it, butcher it and preserve it ourselves ... and there is a lot of it eqch season. Well, most of us do. We take pride in our kill and our recipes and the nourishment it provides us ... there is satisfaction in the process. But for some of us who raise our own beef we take equal pride and find equal satisfaction in our beef jerky. We're surprised at just how good our turkey jerky has become. We love the opportunity to jerk moose and elk when tags allow.

No offense, but "deer" jerky is not a worthy descriptor of a "best jerky" asked-for by the OP friend. It's almost patronizing .... it'sdefinitely dismissive and nonchalant. It's like answering "oil" when asked for a favorite painter or "guitar" when asked for a favorite musician or "big" when asked for a favorite dog.

Vension that has been over salted or poorly cured or put-up with too much moisture and turned rancid is some of the worst jerky one might ever encounter.

I'm sorry, did you say something about snobbery?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If I was bored I'd make my own jerky.

Old Trapper at the store for the win.

Spendy though, rarely buy it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by riflegunbuilder
The Best Stop is awesome. Jerky, boudin, sausage, anything. Stop every year on my way to the World Skeet shoot in San Antonio.

Not knocking best stop,

Years back i stopped in there to get some cracklins.

In my mind, cracklins are fried hard. Like grannie put in cornbread.

I picked up a fresh hot sack from best stop.

Took a bite......

Thrower em out the window.

Like i said. Nothing against them. Just not what i was expecting.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Sliced meat for making jerky tomorrow to take Baja fishing.

Kent

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,892 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,350
Posts18,468,852
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.