Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I just use the really heavyweight zip ties. They are cheap, outlast any string made, and easy to zip on and off.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
One of the main weeds in this area is kochia. It has a thick stem that a line won't cut through. I put one of these Stihl brush cutters on my trimmer and it stays on full time. You have to be careful with it but it cuts through kochia nicely and works well on all other weeds, too.

[Linked Image from stihlusa.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Been running a Speed Feed head for several years now. Worn one out and on my second one.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The weed whacking workload is way down around my place. Only use my 20 year old Echo GT around our garden edges.

Everywhere else is nuked with a 3ft wide fan pattern of gly-2,4-D and Dawn. About every 4 weeks

our farm spray rig is the 89 nissan pathfinder with 40 gallon tank and 50ft of hose. Put out 15 gallons yest even touching up around the gates and my walk in cooler

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the system on my old Craftsman wacker. Cut a length of trimmer, feed it through a hole on the head and go. When it gets short, repeat. Simple and no auto feed to screw up.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I like the system on my old Craftsman wacker. Cut a length of trimmer, feed it through a hole on the head and go. When it gets short, repeat. Simple and no auto feed to screw up.

Yup

I just carry a pocket off pre cut snippets.

Which is great until you’ll get into poison ivy and you have to grab that head and slip in a fresh pair of cording

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
tag

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Got my other new head and a tube of white lithium grease, my poor old bladed unit will get some relief tomorrow laugh

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These work even better. Slightly more expensive than a string trimmer, but you can't argue the results!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I don't like horses though!

Manufacturers are even advertising the speed feed now!

https://www.shindaiwa-usa.com/

NRA Endowment Member

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Probably order one, ordered a new pull string assembly, and a carb for my stilh, going to put them on today it's been sitting for a few yrs. We have been paying someone to cut the grass and haven't been able to get a hold of him for over a month, f-cking grass is waist-high in some of the backyard. Going to buy a mower and start doing it myself.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I just got done with 3 ten hour days on a stihl weedeater. I use the head that I load precut 8 inch pieces. A speedloader would not last a day with me!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Put the Speed Feed head on the Stihl attachment when I got back from lunch just now, took about 5 minutes out in the parking lot. Will put it to work tomorrow.

Mike

P.S. Just like the 1st video, used a nail to hold it still and a 3/8" extension to push the arbor out and replace with correct (green) one.

Last edited by ready_on_the_right; 07/16/21.

NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Waders
These work even better. Slightly more expensive than a string trimmer, but you can't argue the results!

Maybe on grass, most ignore weeds.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by troublesome82
I just got done with 3 ten hour days on a stihl weedeater. I use the head that I load precut 8 inch pieces. A speedloader would not last a day with me!

Maintenance at a factory or plant or something???

NRA Endowment Member

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Sahil got similar for a long time, it you put the ends of the line in , wind the cut in center. I've had two of these for some time now and have zero issues and I weed eat quite a lot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got tired of adding string to the trimmer head on my Stihl and put on a Stihl Poly-Cut head. Grass and heavy weeds, no problem.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Is this the line head you are using for your Stihl?

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/trimmers-and-brushcutters/trimmer-heads-and-blades/durocut/

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/trimmers-and-brushcutters/trimmer-heads-and-blades/durocut/

Yes, I believe it is! I have never used one before this job, to be honest, and I really like it. I use a lot of trigger control around trees, stakes, rocks , etc to prolong the use of my line. All the heads I used before were the speed load type.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Yes, I believe it is! I have never used one before this job, to be honest, and I really like it. I use a lot of trigger control around trees, stakes, rocks , etc to prolong the use of my line. All the heads I used before were the speed load type and they sucked!

While I am a concrete finisher by trade my aging back is making it paramount I do some easier work. I have worked golf courses and am now mowing and weed eating a park owned by the Army corps of Engineers! The terrain on this park on the Mississippi is way tougher on the equipment than my previous work on a golf course!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 02bfishn, 65 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,225
Posts18,466,565
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.