Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a Seek Outside and I have been very impressed with it. Very light weight and can carry a lot. That being said I like to try new things and am looking at the Stone glaciers. Any experiences with these packs would be appreciated

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gitem_12

I ordered a few different packs from GoHunt.com and ended up keeping the MR Marshall and sending the others back for refunds

I call that "Research and Development Cost". Wife loves it........<G>

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by bwinters
I've tried alot of packs, many of the inexpensive options, and would strongly suggest spending $100-200 more to get a top of the line pack. All packs work fairly well with 30-40 lbs. The difference comes when you jam a bunch of weight in it. I find anything over 50 lbs is where you'll start to notice the difference.

This spring I switched from Kifaru to an Exo. I have a short torso for a guy and struggle to get a pack to fit right, mainly staying on my hips. I also have fairly narrow hips to go with my 12 year old girl torso length.

A couple of things to keep in mind. First, you want the weight to carry close to your spine. I find many bags are too deep as measured from your spine to the outer limit of the bag. The farther the weight is away from your spine, the 'heavier' it 'carries'. You will notice it when you take off the pack and/or wake up the next day.

Second, it might be a me thing but make sure the waist belt is significantly padded AND has enough surface area/friction to stay where it's supposed to with weight. I like Mystery Ranch packs but their waist belt does not have enough friction to keep it on my hips where it's supposed to be.

Third, dont become enamoured with alot of bells, whistles, gadgets, pockets, zippers. I like organization in a pack but it does 2 things. First it adds weight, second its gets confusing when switching bags or adjusting. My Kifaru had about 97 buckles on the frame and various bags. I had to watch a video every time I changed bags. Plus it was heavier than my current Exo but 1.5 lbs.

Fourth, I'd suggest a narrow profile on the frame/bag. I've tried a couple that had a wider footprint and found they hit, snagged, caught on brush/trees when I was hunting. This is a feature of the Exo I really like - they hug my external body dimensions as well as any pack I've tried.

If you want to save money, buy a used pack. Rokslide is an excellent source for used packs. Good packs will last a long time and they really dont get used all that much. As an example, I wear mine almost every week from May to Decemeber either training (rucking, stepups) or hunting and it still looks new. I've been doing this for the last several years. I wash it about 1/month and they look newish. I also try to keep blood off them as much as I can. Stains wont hurt the functionality.

Good luck.

That’s my gripe with kifaru as well, they make top quality stuff but there are lighter packs that carry a load just as well (Stone glacier, exo) and the buckles….holy crap kifaru likes to use buckles and straps all over the damn place.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I use 2 things.

First, Mystery Ranch "pop up". 2 years ago I used the 18L, then swapped it for the 28L for last season. I like them for hauling loads. The very thick padding seems to push on me "funny" when I'm just using them as a day pack. So .. tradeoff.

Second, 20 ish years ago I bought a Cabela's "alaska guide" pack .. frame and harness only, no bag. For hunting I put my stuff in a dry bag or small day pack and strap that to the pack along with a carrier for a water bladder. For me the harness squeaks a bit more than I like for still hunting in thick cover. Mostly now I only use it if I'm out there in support of someone else who is the primary hunter. I lay back so the squeaks, etc don't alert the deer. Mostly it just rides in the truck and I'll switch to it after the first load if I'm doing multiple loads.

Both are better than the Badlands 2200 I used for 5-ish years. It was a great day pack, a little big. One pro was I used the pack for insulation on cold days ... it'd keep me warm by keeping my back and kidneys warm. The minus was it did not handle a heavy load well. I packed a whole blacktail buck out in it in one load one year and the straps cut into my shoulders pretty badly.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I use 2 things.

First, Mystery Ranch "pop up". 2 years ago I used the 18L, then swapped it for the 28L for last season. I like them for hauling loads. The very thick padding seems to push on me "funny" when I'm just using them as a day pack. So .. tradeoff.

Second, 20 ish years ago I bought a Cabela's "alaska guide" pack .. frame and harness only, no bag. For hunting I put my stuff in a dry bag or small day pack and strap that to the pack along with a carrier for a water bladder. For me the harness squeaks a bit more than I like for still hunting in thick cover. Mostly now I only use it if I'm out there in support of someone else who is the primary hunter. I lay back so the squeaks, etc don't alert the deer. Mostly it just rides in the truck and I'll switch to it after the first load if I'm doing multiple loads.

Both are better than the Badlands 2200 I used for 5-ish years. It was a great day pack, a little big. One pro was I used the pack for insulation on cold days ... it'd keep me warm by keeping my back and kidneys warm. The minus was it did not handle a heavy load well. I packed a whole blacktail buck out in it in one load one year and the straps cut into my shoulders pretty badly.

Tom

For a few years ai had a couple of those cabelas frames that I left in my boat for hauling moose. They worked pretty well but unfortunatly cabelas stopped making them and I don’t think alps makes the commander any longer so the only really viable option for a frame pack now is a Barney’s frame.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by Springcove
I have a Seek Outside and I have been very impressed with it. Very light weight and can carry a lot. That being said I like to try new things and am looking at the Stone glaciers. Any experiences with these packs would be appreciated

I’ve been using a SG Krux frame for 5-6 seasons now. I also own a SO Divide that I use for winter backpacking/longer backpacking trips. The Krux is used solely for hunting. The SO is lighter (but the SG is far from a pig), but the SG simply handles heavier loads better in my experience. I have several SG bags from day hunting size to 7+ day trips and some in between.

I have no plans on getting rid of either frame (bags), both are wonderfully constructed with top notch materials. Both are exceptional packs imho.

Last edited by mtwarden; 07/16/21.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by mtwarden

I’ve been using a SG Krux frame for 5-6 seasons now. I also own a SO Divide that I use for winter backpacking/longer backpacking trips. The Krux is used solely for hunting. The SO is lighter (but the SG is far from a pig), but the SG simply handles heavier loads better in my experience. I have several SG bags from day hunting size to 7+ day trips and some in between.

I have no plans on getting rid of either frame (bags), both are wonderfully constructed with top notch materials. Both are exceptional packs imho.

Thank you very much for your response . Not looking to get rid of my SO just wanting to try something different. After packing out a whole quartered out mule deer last year I want to see if there is a pack that carries that weight better.

With what you do and the places you go your knowledge is very much appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (808outdoors, 338reddog, 257_X_50, AB2506, 19rabbit52, 6 invisible), 1,340 guests, and 836 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,117
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.