Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just finishing up watching this movie for the umpteenth time. The surreal weirdness of this movie has always captivated me for some reason. Anyone else here likes or hates this flick ?

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good one! Although I like “Platoon” and “Full Metal Jacket” a little better. But then I never thought Marlon Brando was much of an actor.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Redux with all that French Plantation business is super bizarro. Heart of Darkness it is.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Love it. Similar to Godfather I and II, one hell of a production to pull off. Always had the utmost respect for Vietnam Vets.

Last edited by jackmountain; 07/16/21.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JakeBlues

"It smells like....victory"

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Love it. Hell of a movie! Had Dennis Hopper in my office once to use my phone. Super nice guy. He was in our small town filming a movie back in the days before cell phones. I worked in a smallish town in Georgia where Sweet Home Alabama was filmed and a few more movies.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's a cool movie. I expect Platoon and FMJ are a lot more realistic as far as most people's Vietnam War experience. Great adventure movie. Great cast and story.

Harvey Keitel started out as Capt. Willard, but was fired. Ironically, Keitel was a former Marine.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Just finishing up watching this movie for the umpteenth time. The surreal weirdness of this movie has always captivated me for some reason. Anyone else here likes or hates this flick ?

When ever I watch that filick it reminds me of crashing off speed or acid.

Brain fried, and a shower don't make me feel clean!

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 07/16/21.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In fact MSGT Davis, an instructor in my ROTC Brigade said that in his experience, Platoon was a lot closer than Apocalypse Now, but he caveated that with the fact that he wasn't in Special Forces. He was in the 1st Cav. though.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
A perplexing movie IMO, one I'll watch from time to time with mixed opinions.

The river boats(PBR's) interest me the most as one of my best friends served 3 tours on them. His stories, slide show, plus the movie gives me just a bit of understanding

Come to think of it, have I asked my bud about that movie??

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by geedubya

ya!

GWB

Having never ingested LSD, I'll have to take your word for it.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Nollij
Redux with all that French Plantation business is super bizarro. Heart of Darkness it is.

Saw it last yr w that in it and was ?
Didnt remember that the other times i watched it.

Realistic or not, didnt care.....i liked the movie.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It’s okay in my opinion. I really enjoyed Duvall’s character.
The second half of the movie seems to drag on forever.
R. Lee Ermey made an appearance as a chopper pilot.
PBR’s are cool!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Brother-in-Law served on a PBR, told me sometimes they transported Mercs upriver, sometime SF guys. They got into some pretty hairy firefights along the way.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by geedubya

ya!

GWB

Having never ingested LSD, I'll have to take your word for it.

The late 80’s - the early 90’s are a blur. I agree wholeheartedly with G-dub. Brings a different understanding to a lot of the movie.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JTrapper73
It’s okay in my opinion. I really enjoyed Duvall’s character.
The second half of the movie seems to drag on forever.
R. Lee Ermey made an appearance as a chopper pilot.
PBR’s are cool!

Got to meet R Lee Ermey when he was the Glock Spokesman. Very nice fellow. Very gracious and down to earth to.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
It's an absurd fest of the worst of Hollywood excess. Copolla was a spoiled fool at that point and the movie is a string of gross self indulgences one after the other. Most beer swiling dolts remember the dumb macho-bravado flight of the valkyries/napalm-in-the-morning scene with patriotic sentiment, but the rest of the movie, they don't even get it. Brando agreed to do one month of "work" on the film for $2 million and 10% of some royalties (which worked out to $9 million). In today's dollars, that's 43 million. They couldn't even film him except in shadows because he was massively overweight. There was no room in the plot for a 350 pound Colonel Kurtz with type II diabetes. He certainly didn't earn 43 million dollars for his acting in the movie. Coppola downplayed Brando's weight by dressing him in black, photographing only his face, and having another, taller actor double for him. The whole mystical shroud around Kurtz's character is basically because $43 million was only enough to get Brando on the set, not to give a flip about making the movie.

Brando wasn't the only catastrophic disaster in making that movie. Hurricane Olga destroyed the sets and they had to be rebuilt. Martin Sheen, who was like the 47th choice to play Willard suffered a heart attack during production and his brother had to fill in to do the voice overs. I'm not criticizing the film for these unfortunate disasters, but they did exacerbate the prodigious budget overruns.

Repeatedly, the film went way over the budget only to have Copolla invest more of his own money to save it. Copolla himself is said to have described it this way: "We had access to too much money, too much equipment, and little by little we went insane"

When I see it, I just see gross self-indulgence for no good cause. The film doesn't say anything meaningful about Vietnam -- it was never about Vietnam -- and it doesn't contribute anything artistically. It's not art. It's just a bunch of rich ass hats displaying their ineptitude and jerking themselves off by stroking their egos. If you want to watch a couple of fat fcuk Hollywood [bleep] spluge all over themselves, watch Apocalypse Now. There's even several versions because they think their chits artistic Cannes film crap that people will keep paying more money for them to reissue.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by JakeBlues

"It smells like....victory"

Surely one of the ten greatest movies made so far. And this is, to me, the best line from any movie. What makes it so was not just the context but the depth of layers with which Duvall delivered the line. Brilliance.

RS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
It's an absurd fest of the worst of Hollywood excess. Copolla was a spoiled fool at that point and the movie is a string of gross self indulgences one after the other. Most beer swiling dolts remember the dumb macho-bravado flight of the valkyries/napalm-in-the-morning scene with patriotic sentiment, but the rest of the movie, they don't even get it. Brando agreed to do one month of "work" on the film for $2 million and 10% of some royalties (which worked out to $9 million). In today's dollars, that's 43 million. They couldn't even film him except in shadows because he was massively overweight. There was no room in the plot for a 350 pound Colonel Kurtz with type II diabetes. He certainly didn't earn 43 million dollars for his acting in the movie. Coppola downplayed Brando's weight by dressing him in black, photographing only his face, and having another, taller actor double for him. The whole mystical shroud around Kurtz's character is basically because $43 million was only enough to get Brando on the set, not to give a flip about making the movie.

Brando wasn't the only catastrophic disaster in making that movie. Hurricane Olga destroyed the sets and they had to be rebuilt. Martin Sheen, who was like the 47th choice to play Willard suffered a heart attack during production and his brother had to fill in to do the voice overs. I'm not criticizing the film for these unfortunate disasters, but they did exacerbate the prodigious budget overruns.

Repeatedly, the film went way over the budget only to have Copolla invest more of his own money to save it. Copolla himself is said to have described it this way: "We had access to too much money, too much equipment, and little by little we went insane"

When I see it, I just see gross self-indulgence for no good cause. The film doesn't say anything meaningful about Vietnam -- it was never about Vietnam -- and it doesn't contribute anything artistically. It's not art. It's just a bunch of rich ass hats displaying their ineptitude and jerking themselves off by stroking their egos. If you want to watch a couple of fat fcuk Hollywood [bleep] spluge all over themselves, watch Apocalypse Now. There's even several versions because they think their chits artistic Cannes film crap that people will keep paying more money for them to reissue.
A lot of the stuff you speak of comes directly from the documentary on the making of the movie called, Hearts of Darkness. The movie was highly anticipated and considered by many to be a flop.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

91 members (AnthonyB, 35, 7x57Hunter, AGL4now, 160user, 41rem, 12 invisible), 970 guests, and 725 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,502
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.