Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#16257013 07/16/21
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ever had a handgun that you had high hopes for but it just disappointed you for whatever reason?

Bought a S&W Model 35-1 several months ago, that’s the 6” J-frame .22. Right off the bat ejection was very sticky, you had to tap the ejector rod on a bench top to get the cases started out, plus the cylinder was difficult or rather very sticky to open. Even starting with thoroughly clean chambers the brass would stick.

I took it to the range a few times, it was nicely accurate with a great SA trigger pull (which is to say right on par for most S&W revolvers) but that difficult ejection and sticky cylinder quickly became tiresome. Took it out last Monday morning, same same as before and I finally decided, “well, f you, you’re gettin’ sold”.

Yesterday after calming down I got to feeling inquisitive and decided to polish the chambers to see if that would help. Got them slick and shiny and inserted some ammo to see if it would drop in or not. One did, the other five rounds still needed to be pushed home all the way, then they were very tight to eject without even being fired. I looked in the chambers with a 5x loupe and lo and behold finally discovered the culprit. It was the ammo all along.

I’ve been using CCI AR Tactical for several years now, it makes up the majority of my rimfire ammo stash. It’s always been very reliable and very accurate in all of my 22's. It’s supposedly “optimized” for semi-autos but apparently what that means is that it’s heavily waxed. After ejecting unfired rounds from perfectly clean chambers, they all had little bits of wax in them. That’s what was making the empty brass stick after firing. Cleaned the wax out of the chambers and inserted some Winchester Super-X, they all fell right in and then fell right out. Prior to this even the Super-X had been sticky but I'm guessing that since I have a lot less of that I'd probably always fired the CCI ammo first and gunked up the chambers so that anything after that would stick. Well, sonuvabitch, says I, mostly at myself for missing something which should have been obvious.

On to the cylinder opening. I completely disassembled the revolver and started looking at everything for burrs, oddities or anything that might possibly affect that. The hand, cylinder stop, ratchet, their surfaces were all smooth and burr free. Finally got to the extraction rod locking bolt and it looked odd. The bevel on the right side only went about 3/4 around, it transitioned to a 90 degree surface toward the front. Not being afeared of totally ruining everything, I took a fine stone and carefully extended the bevel so it was 180 degrees around the right side, then polished it all up with some 600 grit paper. Oiled everything good, put it back together and the cylinder opened like it should.

Took it out to the range this morning and put about 75 rounds of Super-X ammo through it, this time it ejected all of the empty brass easily and the cylinder still opened slick as you please every time.

I had really wanted a Model 35 for a while and searched for a few months until finding the right one at the right price only to be thoroughly disappointed by it. Nice to know it was always a decent little revolver, it just needed a change of diet plus a teensy bit of TLC.

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
How does the Winchester ammo shoot compared to the CCI? I used to have a nice M18, with SUPER tight chambers, it shot Federal just fine, but everything was hard to extract. The thing shot fantastically well, but it was a PITA. My new 617 has looser chambers, but doesn't shot nearly as well. It's a damned if you do, or damned if you don't situation. I kinda wish I had hung onto the 18, but the 617 sure is handier to use, though.

Smith put nice, tight chambers in those older guns, probably why they shoot so well.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
They're about equal in accuracy in this revolver and pretty close in all the rest. Some of the 22's (nine rifles and handguns in the stable these days) will group one or the other a smidgen tighter but comparing targets it's usually more of a judgement call.

Once the last ammo shortage eased up the CCI ammo was selling for around 6 cents per round, a couple more pennies than the cheapest bulk stuff but IMO well worth it. All of the other 22's are semi-autos with a couple of bolt action rifles and one pump so this problem never reared its head in those.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I discovered long ago that Federal bulk-pak was/is the optimum ammo for my J frame .22s. Remington ammo was/is always sticky to extract. It's good you fixed your issue, as model 35s are SWEET! wink

Ken
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Yes they are really nice. The chambers on mine are a little tight but no problem chambering anything I’ve tried in it.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Nice glad to see you got it resolved, I owned one in the early 70's. Much easier to shoot well than the 4" 34's.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I like a love story that ends this way.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Similar issues can happen in rifles that fire shorts prior to longs and or long rifle. A quick swab, back in business.

Norma match will get grease everywhere.

I have an aluminum slide conversion kit I run on a stainless frame. That things fussy with lube and/or ammo.

Glad its fixed. First class revolver there

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jim in Idaho: I am so happy you solved the issues with your Smith & Wesson Model 35.
Enjoy!
I have never owned a Model 35 ("I" frame or the "J" frame versions!) but have been on the lookout for one myself for years.
Again, good for you and keep up the good work (gun looniness).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Buck 307, or a 301???

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I was wondering if someone would ask about that. wink

It's a 301, Buck Stockman, bought at the PX on McNair Compound, West Berlin, in 1972. Been carrying it off and on for almost 50 years now.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

189 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 44automag, 348srfun, 300_savage, 30 invisible), 2,013 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.