Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
DugE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I know there have been some rough things said about GPO, their naming of a line “Passion”, and their production arrangement, etc.

It’s beyond goofy to me that they’d call their product GPO, German Precision Optics, be based in VA and build product in Asia. I’ll give you that. Pure goofy! And, IDK if they’ll be in business next year or even next month. (In fairness who thought Nikon would be out of the scope business?)

Call me a certified weirdo because I just had to have one.

I bought a Passion 4X 3-12x56 with a German #4 reticle. I have not shot it yet at the range. But, I can say based on first hand comparison it’s more impressive build wise and optically than my Zeiss V4 of the same configuration. The V4 does have illumination, however.

I really like Zeiss. I’ve owned or do own Victory HT, Victory FL, Meopta Meostar and Optika6: all with large obj 50-56mm. I may get raked over the coals and slandered for these assessments. But, here goes anyway.

To my eyes the Passion 4X falls between the Zeiss Victory and V4, but is much closer to the Victory. All 3-12x56 fwiw.

The clarity, definition, color and brightness are awesome. Looking at individual leaves on oak trees 100 yards away on 3x is impressive.

The Passion is definitely superior to the Meopro to my eyes and very close to Meostar, maybe equal. All 56mm obj.

I’d say this scope is near the Leica ER5 line but not the Magnus line.

Some background of how I use glass: I am a still hunter. I hunt whitetail deer in AL so lowlight is HUGE for me. I do reload. But, I don’t gong shoot, yet. Dialing isn’t an issue for me usually. I use binoculars for scanning and use scopes for shooting.

This Passion 4X is very impressive. I can say if you’re a deer hunter like me and want great glass in a well built scope that’ll get you well past “legal” shooting light, this is a legit scope. It’s A LOT of glass for $600.

I hope this helps someone who may be interested in trying one of these scopes. I’m an unsponsored guy who enjoys the fun of our chosen hobby.

I’ll close by saying I think a lot of what we like in lowlight scopes has a great deal to do with our eyesight. This scope is a really good optical fit for me.

If you’re a guy who doesn’t want to hear about glass until you’ve put a scope through its paces dialing and/or dropping on the ground; I know this review isn’t for you. But, maybe it’ll be good insight for someone thinking about one of these scopes.

Have a great day!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by DugE

I’ll close by saying I think a lot of what we like in lowlight scopes has a great deal to do with our eyesight. This scope is a really good optical fit for me.

Rods and cones - more so rods when you're talking low light.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I call BS.... It's all in the cones.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have owned or tested several GPO products and they come in for me way better then the web would have you believe.

Last edited by JBB111; 07/17/21.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
So you’re excited, or should I say full of passion about a new scope, but haven’t really put it through the wringer….I’m not yet impassioned to buy one.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have not shot it yet

TFF Mechanics trump glass any day, every day. About any scope these days have decent glass. What are you scoping out, the stop sign down the street?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by huntsman22

He looks embarrassed 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
D
DugE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Yessir! That stop sign is incredibly clear. In rural AL one need not go far to test optics in the woods, not on street signs.

And, I’ve probably never put a scope through the “wringer”. A big part of the fun of owning things for me is taking care of them. It’s how I was raised. This scope will hopefully look new when I give it to a grandson one day. If you like “character”, go you! I like new.

I’m relatively new here. I’ve read opinions on scopes and ammo here for a long time. I found it insightful and helpful. Recently started posting. I enjoy most of it. The middle school stuff clutters what could be a much more engaging place.

Disclaimer: I may be a “classified cowboy” who brings no real value to the site. I enjoy buying and selling without fleabay getting 10%.

As far as glass is concerned, you can dial your Nightforce all night long and not see what I will with better glass and capped turrets. I don’t see why that’s such a hard concept/insulting reality for some. A foggy swamp bottom at last light requires the best glass I can find.

I sold the only NF I ever owned last year without condescending remarks to or about people who like them for their intended purposes. It was inferior in low light. Maybe if I ever decide to use my scope as a hammer I’ll reevaluate.

I posted to give a real life opinion on scopes I actually own/owned.

Oh, and, one more thing, ROLL TIDE!!!

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
By saying to put through the wringer, I meant to actually use it, like with shooting, to see if it’s a functional scope or just a nice monocular. I wasn’t being condescending, just baffled that a scope review would get posted without actually shooting with the scope. That’s kinda like a review of a pickup from the showroom floor. But hey, no offense intended. We all get cited about our new stuff and like to jabber about it. I certainly do.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
And what is this “roll tide” thing some people say anyhow??

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Originally Posted by huntsman22

He looks embarrassed 😊

Yep.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
DugE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I was very clear about what I was lauding, optical quality. I attempted to be very clear and honest about that.

Maybe I should’ve started with this disclaimer: I am not an expert. I am an enthusiast.

I was only posting about the quality I saw in the glass, knowing some may find it pointless and mock me.

As for the truck analogy. I don’t agree with your assessment of the review. I drive trucks. I look through scopes. I told what happened after looking trough it. You found it useless. Someone else will find it helpful.

I hope everyone has a great day!

Blessings!!!

Oh, and, RTR!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DugE,
It's always good to hear of riflescopes with great glass and better than average lowlight performance.
I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts after you have used it some.
Thanks for the review.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
D
DugE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Yessir. Will do. Thank you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I thought your OP was fine. You were clear that you were evaluating only your perception of optical quality vs other scopes folks might be familiar with. You even summed up with this:

Then in a later reply said this:

As far as glass is concerned, you can dial your Nightforce all night long and not see what I will with better glass and capped turrets. I don’t see why that’s such a hard concept/insulting reality for some. A foggy swamp bottom at last light requires the best glass I can find.

Which totally flies in the face of the first quote.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
D
DugE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Mr. Journeyman,

I don’t mean to be disagreeable. But I disagree with your disagreement.

I can see more with my Zeiss Victory HT, Meopta Meostar, etc than I could with a 56mm NF. Actually, my Optika6 was better in lowlight. Someone can turn dials as long as they want. I will see more in lowlight with a capped turret Zeiss HT than the best NF.

The simple point is I can see longer with better glass.

I appreciate your wanting to discredit me. But it isn’t sticking. I know what I said and why. One statement doesn't contradict the other.

IDK why some folks lay in the weeds for the express purpose of putting someone in their place or exposing what liars they are.

I’m an honest man who shared my honest opinion.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I was very clear about what I was lauding, optical quality. I attempted to be very clear and honest about that.

Maybe I should’ve started with this disclaimer: I am not an expert. I am an enthusiast.

I was only posting about the quality I saw in the glass, knowing some may find it pointless and mock me.

As for the truck analogy. I don’t agree with your assessment of the review. I drive trucks. I look through scopes. I told what happened after looking trough it. You found it useless. Someone else will find it helpful.

I hope everyone has a great day!

Blessings!!!

Oh, and, RTR!

I wouldn't worry one second what these clowns have to say about your choice of gear. If it pleases you, that's all that matters. I quit caring what people thought of my stuff years ago. Good luck with that GPO, I'm betting you'll love shooting and using it, just like I do my Tract Toric. They could be made in the same place for all I know. That Jensen dude at GPO knows a thing or two about optics and such, as he ran Zeiss sport optics for years.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I went to a shop yesterday and tbwy had GPO at one time. Checked em out and seemed decent.
Sold out. Dunno if they'll get any more.
Had a lot of vortex stuff.

Maybe more profit on them, or maybe customers just want.

D
DugE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks JGRaider!

This site helped me TONS when I first started hunting. I’d only golfed and fished until I was early 30s. I moved to NE AL. In NE AL folks hunt!!!

I couldn’t afford the real high end stuff bc I was buying it all at once. From wool socks to camo to tree stands to rifles, etc. I read about Nikon Monarchs on here. I won an auction for one and it was so awesome the older guys teaching me to hunt bought them.

I’ve been blessed and had the opportunity to upgrade stuff along the way.

I’ve started reloading now. Many articles on here are very helpful.

The classifieds have helped me buy and sell some cool stuff at good prices.

I like the site. I just want to share some of what I’m learning with others.

The GPO thing was just one borne of curiosity. I kept hearing about how great they were or how terrible they were. I’m glad I took the chance on one.

Thanks again for your kind comment.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for your report on the GPO scope. I have not tried one but own most of the others you mentioned

People who don’t live in Alabama don’t get that a lot of our hunting is at last light in very dim spots.

Turrets are mostly useless. Low light performance and low light reticles are everything here.

Thanks for your report, I understand what you are trying to say

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (batch, BB3, 10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, 13 invisible), 1,544 guests, and 838 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,208
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.