Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Your hunting rifles?
Say if you shoot mostly standard cartridges. Say you shoot a 30-06 or 270 etc with a “Premium” bullet say TTSX. 80 cents each x 20 is $16 box just for enough billets to reload one box, add powder, primers, brass etc so you are probably at what $25 box to reload them? Plus load development etc so that burns up extra powder and bullets.
- maybe you save $25 box on those over factory but how many boxes will you shoot in a year?

- What does it cost total to reload a box of Interlocks $15 box maybe? What do you save on those maybe $10 savings over factory loaded?

- The equipment takes up space all the time. If you are always chasing the latest greatest powders, bullets etc then that’s more load development, more time in the loading room, extra trips to the range shooting up more powder and bullets varying seating depths and powder charges chasing another 1/4 inch accuracy finding the perfect load.

- If you are elk hunting you are basically shooting at an animal the size of a cow.

- With the quality of some of today’s factory ammo then take the average person that is busy with life. Is it still worth the hassle? If you shoot 15-20 boxes a year out of your main hunting rifle is it worth it?
All that being said I have personally shot very little factory centerfire ammo, most has been reloads for me

Last edited by ridgerunner_ky; 07/17/21.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You shoot standard factory cartridges?

It costs me about 4 cents to reload a .22.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Reload a 22? Say what?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Obama Panic l, I slowed down a little....Obama Panic ll, I slowed down a lot in the consumption powder and bullets and severely restricted rimfire practice...Biden Panic l, scarcely a shot fired without sufficient reason, and then it's mostly cast bullets with modest charges, no rimfire at all, other than protecting the garden from pirates. With the exception of factory handgun ammo, I'd say a lot of the problem is hoarders and scalpers.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
C
CBB Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Sounds like a ghost town up here. Lots of deer camps in the area. Usually shooting all the time especially on weekends and holidays. Very quiet this year.

As for me. I shoot when I want, I'm set for my lifetime. Now ifnI have grandkids..... I'll be in trouble!

Hunt...
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky

Reload a 22? Say what?

You have just met one of the more interesting gentlemen on these fora...and yes he does reload his .22.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I don't shoot nearly enough of any of my rifles. My fault.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I live 1/2 mile from the (private club) range, so range trips aren't a big deal. It was a buying point for this house. I'm still loading stuff bought when it was cheap. Just finished a brick of Remington 2 1/2s that had an $11.50 price tag on it, with Unique from a cardboard can that said Hercules on the label with a $10.98 sticker, & Acme cast bullets that cost $22/500... so less than $3 for a box of 50. Add a nickle to 10c a round for JHPs. Much of the rifle ammunition I load with similar vintage components as well. Even with a magnum rifle at a penny/primer, 70 gr of $10/# powder is a dime, & Speer, Sierra, Nosler, or Hornady bullets at c.10c each makes for 21 cents a round. Add 30c to that for Partitions, so that's 51 cents apiece x 20 =10.20 a box for premium ammunition. Smaller cartridges probably cost 15 cents... so that's $3 a box. I shoot a few wildcats & obsoletes that there is no factory ammo for. Even using recently (pre covid insanity) purchased powder & bullets it's still much cheaper than a new boat or maintenance on an older one. Wanna talk about fast/classic cars?

I downsized the loading bench to about 1/2 the size of the old one when I moved here. It has its own corner in my library/office & it works just fine with a 2'x6' footprint. Will be better when I get the wall shelves built for die storage. I shoot 80 to 200 rounds of rifle a week from barrel burning 22s to a few magnums, & a few 100 rounds more when my buddy comes over & we go to the pistol range. Not sure if I reload to shoot more or shoot to reload more. It's a hobby that I enjoy immensely even when I was working 50-60 hours/week plus all the normal chores.

Other than bulk pistol, the last factory ammo I shot was some S&B @ $15/box for the brass but it was unusable because primer pockets were too shallow & I'm too lazy to measure the web thickness & maybe cut them deeper... yet. Maybe a total loss except for barrel break-in.

The daughter & her kids were just here for a week. We bought the oldest one a Ruger rimfire & burned up a brick or 2 of orange box PMC Zappers. Remember them? The same grand daughter (with supervision) happily loaded a couple 100 rounds of 9mm for her mom & some 45s for me. She chased her mom off the stool at the bench so she could do the reloading. She has the bug now too. Three generations in the same house at once & at the range was a thing of beauty.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I haven't shot any CF factory ammo in this century, rifle, shotgun or pistol, but have shot some .22 RF purchased years ago. That began to bore me also.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

One of my better groups:

And there there's the big bore....

Anybody can do this with a factory cartridge......250 Savage w/handloads.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 358WCF
She chased her mom off the stool at the bench so she could do the reloading. She has the bug now too. Three generations in the same house at once & at the range was a thing of beauty.

Not much makes me envy others, that does.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JSTUART
She chased her mom off the stool at the bench so she could do the reloading. She has the bug now too. Three generations in the same house at once & at the range was a thing of beauty.

Something to look forward to?

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I might add that while I have a supply of J-bullets awaiting their fate, they bore me silly. See the .250 Savage target.

And my Quigley rifle appreciates it muchly. It informed me that I don't need to mount the scope. The tang sight will do just ducky.

Dunno what it costs to cast and handload the larger bores, but a little math might reveal the answer.

Last edited by DigitalDan; 07/17/21.

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Was out sighting in a new scope on Tuesday. First time out since April. Bee’s ran me out of the shelter LOL. I guess they don’t care for .308.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Only the hog hunt in the last three years.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Something to look forward to?

I sure as hell hope so.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not much lately, saving my ammo.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
With my new Benjamin marauder semi auto pcp in 22 cal A LOT! $15 for 500 rounds
Is accurate quiet and as much fun as my 10/22

Last edited by IA_fog; 07/17/21.

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
The bullets I cast are so terrible they would be more dangerous if I fed them to someone.

I am MAGA.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I haven't shot any CF factory ammo in this century, rifle, shotgun or pistol, but have shot some .22 RF purchased years ago. That began to bore me also.

One of my better groups:

And there there's the big bore....

Anybody can do this with a factory cartridge......250 Savage w/handloads.

Just curious. How did you turn your .22 rimfire bolt into centrefire?

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Only when I need to. One night I shot a raccoon in the hen house.

I used to shoot a lot.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1234, 50 invisible), 2,703 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,813
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.