Print Thread
Hop To
P
Plumdog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
The veterinarians around these parts (Florida) are pushing Heartworm and Flea & Tick meds that seem mighty costly to me, especially the flea and tick stuff. Ivermectin is in the heartworm meds, and afoxolaner in the flea and tick stuff. What do the old school pros do to beat the cost? I'm kinda new to dog care, and didn't own one for fifty years. My best buddy is a Mastiff-Anatolian mix that is a real sweetheart.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Spend the bread and don't try to wing it to save a buck when you don't have a clue what you're doing. Ivermectin is nothing to mess around with when it comes to dogs.

And even most "old school pros" even know to trust the advise of a trusted vet.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by Kenlguy
Spend the bread and don't try to wing it to save a buck when you don't have a clue what you're doing. Ivermectin is nothing to mess around with when it comes to dogs.

This forum has good answers, even if we don't enjoy hearing difficult news.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have used it for years, the horse wormer stuff, Make sure you dose like it says on the tube, maybe a little less the first couple times you use it. That said I am not recommending you doing it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have used it for over 20 years. I buy a vial of the injectable and give the amount based on weight of the dog. I draw the amount out, remove the needle, squirt it directly into the dogs mouth.

Some guys soak it into a piece of bread etc but it's such a small amount, .3 cc for a Beagle, I just give it orally. There are numerous generics such as Normectin. I have 4 to 5 hunting dogs so cost matters.

PS : As a side note, your dog won't get Covid either........lol!

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

And even most "old school pros" even know to trust the advise of a trusted vet.

I have used Ivermectin for 40 years on my Labs. Get good advice from your vet before you try it.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
P
Plumdog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I was just at Rural King and noticed there were gallon jugs of Topical Ivermectin that gets poured over cattle. Said it helps prevent a long list of parasitic pests including worms, etc.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Plumdog
The veterinarians around these parts (Florida) are pushing Heartworm and Flea & Tick meds that seem mighty costly to me, especially the flea and tick stuff. Ivermectin is in the heartworm meds, and afoxolaner in the flea and tick stuff. What do the old school pros do to beat the cost? I'm kinda new to dog care, and didn't own one for fifty years. My best buddy is a Mastiff-Anatolian mix that is a real sweetheart.

If you can't afford to treat your dog with what he is supposed to be treated with, Then for godsakes get rid of him. If you had ten or twenty dogs running around then i could see your point in trying to save money but you have ONE.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by scottf270
I have used it for over 20 years. I buy a vial of the injectable and give the amount based on weight of the dog. I draw the amount out, remove the needle, squirt it directly into the dogs mouth.

Some guys soak it into a piece of bread etc but it's such a small amount, .3 cc for a Beagle, I just give it orally. There are numerous generics such as Normectin. I have 4 to 5 hunting dogs so cost

PS : As a side note, your dog won't get Covid either........lol!

I had 8 to 12 pointers, gave them 1/10th of a CC for each 10 lbs of body weight, most lived 14 years or so. Never had heartworm issues.

Last edited by hanco; 07/16/21.
P
Plumdog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Plumdog

If you can't afford to treat your dog with what he is supposed to be treated with, Then for godsakes get rid of him. If you had ten or twenty dogs running around then i could see your point in trying to save money but you have ONE.

Even a filthy rich guy can try to save money on things that seem priced out of line. The heartworm meds are not that expensive, but the flea and tick stuff is insane. Also, the heartworm med he was first prescribed came with a garantee! If the dog were ever to get heartworm and you had kept records, the vet would treat the condition at no cost. That seemed to me what a extended warranty on a vehicle is like. Then at the next prescription renewal, they recommended a different brand! The whole thing smelled funny to me, so that is the reason for my question. Also, the topical pour-on Ivermectin for cattle caught my eye, I have no intention of using it. But I might use the horse wormer method if enough evidence is shown that it is a safe and viable option.
I won't pay 53 bucks for plywood to build a chicken coop when scraps are in the dumpster. Just sayin'

IC B3

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I had a buddy that raised racing Grey Hounds that's all he ever used. Most Vets are not going to tell you to use it but mine told me its the same active ingredients that you buy in a pill form....he also told me Ivermectin gets all worms except tape in dogs. So you don't need to worm a dog on Ivermectin.

Buy injectable Ivermectin (watch the expiration date it will expire before you use it all)....like was said 1/10th of a CC per 10 pounds of weight.

Draw it from the vial with a needle.....remove the needle from the syringe....squirt it in the dogs mouth then give them a treat.

Wear rubber gloves it will absorb through the skin.

Don't tell the guy at Tractor Supply you want it for your dog I told some Bozo that once and he wouldn't sell it to me....felt like slapping the taste out of his mouth.

Last edited by LFC; 07/17/21.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

I've been ordering from here: http://petisupply.com/front.htm

Saves on the trip to the vet for a prescription too, but takes a good while to arrive to buy in advance.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 3,084 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,774
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.