Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Can someone post a link to the original pack goat hunting thread? That was one of the best posts and hunting stories ever!! It should have a sticky in whatever forum it resides.

My girls are raising dappled Boer goats. They'd love to see all the effort and care you've put into working and training yours. I remember it had some great photography too.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I think you’re in that thread. There was another guy from Nebraska here who posted some pack goat stuff previously to me if that’s what you mean. Otherwise I had an original pack goat thread but I could r get the pictures to post for crap. Oh wait, also I stopped paying for photo bucket, so I might have to migrate those pictures over to imgur. I can get the links for the hunting threads tko

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I found the pack goat hunt thread. It was in big game hunting, titled "7 in, 8 out"

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Oh right gotcha. Did you see last years elk hunt too?

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Yeah, I haven’t done much other than have them respond to a come here call. But that’s a group thing, I’ve never trained a goat to come to its own name. I hear that’s doable. But definitely in that same vein, cart goats respond to commands just like sled dogs.

Also when they crowd the gate to their own I tell them to get back and they do

I had one that watched me and learned to lift the gate slide bolt and slide it sideways. It didn't take long to starting hating goat chases. I gave him some inappropriate verbal commands. I had to start using a snap on the bolt.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I'll have to find that one too. Love the pack goat threads. Very cool way to hunt and it really shows how your dedication and hard work pays off and makes memories for a lifetime.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gsganzer

I'll have to find that one too. Love the pack goat threads. Very cool way to hunt and it really shows how your dedication and hard work pays off and makes memories for a lifetime.
Thing is, with either goats or llamas, it's not that much hard work. Both are very easy to train, much easier than a horse or mule.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yeah honestly the training was the fun and easy part. The hard part is living with them the rest of the time. Mine are pretty hard on their housing and trailer wiring harnesses and wife’s garden

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The hard part is living with them the rest of the time. Mine are pretty hard on their housing and trailer wiring harnesses and wife’s garden

I can relate to that! My daughters Boer goats try my patience. I think they make it their full time job to exploit weaknesses in my pasture fencing. I also learned not to leave the horse trailer or tractor anywhere near them or it becomes their own personal jungle gym. Lucky I learned that before they shifted their efforts to nibbling on them.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah honestly the training was the fun and easy part. The hard part is living with them the rest of the time. Mine are pretty hard on their housing and trailer wiring harnesses and wife’s garden

Mine would stand and beat their horns against the barn until they tore the siding off. The llamas aren't so bad. They just chew holes through the T-111

― George Orwell

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Still haven’t got my hands on a decent trailer that I can afford and have been struggling with getting the boys the more exercise. Did get them out this weekend on the property to just do some headbanging though. It may be hard to tell but damn they are big and pack a punch.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This last one is just for scale

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Wow!!! I'm glad you posted the one for scale. How much do your goats weigh?

I don't know why I'm so incredibly intrigued by this pack goat hunting thing. It's seems like such a unique, innovative and utilitarian way to hunt. I guess it's because we recently got our own goats and I've found them to be really unique animals, with each having it's own very distinct personality.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have t gotten them in a scale in over a year now. Still meaning to do so but they’ve outgrown my vets 200 pound scale. The 4 biggest boys are all well past 250. Maybe you around 275. Thor and Ivar are too fat and Odin has always had a hay belly. Gunnar however has an enormous frame and , his pasterns don’t seem to be as bad as they were so I still hope he can carry a heavy load. The bottom two are about 200-210. Ragnar in the middle around 230 plus or minus 10.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Odin and Loki are for sale, $800 each. I’ll put something together in the classifieds.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
First time back out with just the 5 of them instead of 7. Went out for my wife’s deer scouting trip. The goats enabled us to take extra luxuries like more food for breakfast snd things like camp shoes, pillows and other items we’d leave behind if we had to pack it ourselves. We brought the dogs and struck out on finding running water, so we cut the trip little short. We found 17 bucks, so we do want to hunt here for her muzzleloader season but will have to pack in a lot more water than normal if we can’t replenish our own outside of filthy stock tanks. Also learned that I need to trim hooves before we go, as Ivar broke tore the top off a hoof and was moving a lot slower.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Getting babies this weekend, I’ll probably dump a [bleep] load of baby and training pics in here again

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Getting babies this weekend, I’ll probably dump a [bleep] load of baby and training pics in here again
I'm genuinely looking forward to that, exbiologist! grin

/John (currentBiologist) laugh

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Ex, do you wean them early and bottle feed?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,145
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.