Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
njt124 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Can anyone recommend a left handed gun for some wing shooting. Was thinking maybe an older 1187 or perhaps a benneli montefeltro. Interested in something that can also run 3 inch. Anyone have either and can comment?

BP-B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I shoot left handed as well and can recommend the Benelli Montefeltro and Super Black Eagle. I've not shot a LH Remington. If you don't need a semi-auto, look for the Browning BPS pump gun. Get it in any gauge you want and the bottom eject and tang safety are ideal for lefties.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I second the BPS if you don’t mind a pump. Been using one for ducks for years. The best semi auto is the Benelli SBE 2 or 3

Last edited by Rlhunter0403; 07/17/21.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nothing wrong with a lefty Remington 11/87 if you can find one. The Remington light contour 11/87 barrels are the smoothest swinging barrels I have ever shot. I carry a lefty Rem 870 in 20 gauge most of the time....mot many of these shotguns to be found.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
CZ makes a couple of their shotguns with a stock cast for lefties, if you're looking for a double barrel.

IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
The prior post laid out your options pretty well. I’ve had the 1187 but it seemed to cycle loud or mechanical sounding in IMO. Had the benelli super black eagle 2 and let it go and wish I hadn’t. Was a sweet gun but hadn’t hunted ducks for sometime. Got it used via a brother with connections so price wasn’t such an issue. I’ve kept my 870s both 12 and 20 because I shoot them pretty well but have had them for quite awhile, both are 3 in so figured I could squeeze them into a duck hunt if I had to. I’m still pretty slow on follow up shots so an auto might work better in those instances. Picked up a nos 12 ga 3 1/2 bps in camo for turkey and ducks but hadn’t got to try it out yet. My daughter is a lefty also and we tried the Ithaca 37 but she didn’t like that she couldn’t glance in chamber as easily as the 870s. The montefeltro is on my list as it is smooth swinging and I was optimistic it would do as well as my prior benelli but have not jumped on one yet.

If you can shoulder them and get a feel for each that may help you narrow it some as well. I really like my 20ga 870 for doves but need to find one with the lighter frame as mine is the heavier frame.

Have a couple old lc smiths as well but that is more a nostalgia thing to hunt pheasant with my dad. Not real practical for an all around solution.

Long story longer, I’d jump a montefeltro given the opportunity

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
My sole shotgun is a LH Benelli SBE. Used primarily for duck hunting and for sporting clays once per year. Carlson .705” modified choke tube seems to give best all around patterns for steel and lead shot.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Orion2000
My sole shotgun is a LH Benelli SBE. Used primarily for duck hunting and for sporting clays once per year. Carlson .705” modified choke tube seems to give best all around patterns for steel and lead shot.

If I could only have 1 shotgun, it would be my LH Benelli SBE.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I shoot a LH VersaMax for everything except dove and quail. I go with CZ 28’s for those little birds. The Remington has turned out to be a very soft shooter and has been extremely reliable for me.

Curtis.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I shoot a shotgun alot and have shot alot of different shotguns.

A benelli M2 is a great all around shotgun which can be had in a left hand configuration . Me personally i havent seen the need for 3.5" 12 ga.

All that being said, I shoot right handed 870's, Browning A5, Browning Citoris

I can work the safeties and operate them easily.

I've pretty much went exclusively 20 ga, except I kept my old Magnum 12 ga. wingmaster.

I shoot sporting clays with a citori CXS 20 ga, I hunt turkeys with a 870 express youth 20 ga. (this is the handiness shotgun in the world). My field guns are a Browning A5 light 20 with a fixed I.C. barrel and a 870 20 ga light magnum with a 26" remchoke barrel.

I rarely duck hunted, but when i did i used a M2 20 gauge.

Since switching to all 20 ga. for hunting and shooting i haven't noticed a drop in scores or a lack of killing.

The guns are lighter and handy and you don't get beat up by recoil.

FJB
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have one of the earlier (circa '91) LH 11-87s. Before that I used a Browning BPS. The 11-87 with the 28" barrel is a little slow on the swing compared to a nice upland gun. However, I've never had any feed or ejection issues with it.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Benelli LH Montefeltro 12 G adjusted and fitted for me

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
LH Rem 11-87 for Waterfowl and late pheasant.
Had an LH SBE and like other's, regretted selling it, but the 11-87 has held up nicely.
Had a BPS. Great for sitting in a blind, but to heavy for walking the fields.
Ruger Red label 28ga and Mdl 37 lightweight 20ga (with LH safety) for upland.
Unlike today, there wasn't a lot of LH choices when I was growing up, so it was easy to pick a brand.
I would recommend a Mdl 37 if going with a pump and a O/U over an auto if your just going to use it for upland use, not waterfowl.

Last edited by shoots100; 07/18/21.

If Nobody Cares about Winning, Why Do They Keep Score ?
VL
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
870 wingmaster

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
N
njt124 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thanks for all the replies, after rethinking this and being mainly used for upland (pheasants) I may go the O/U route. Looking at the beretta 6 series line and wondering if I need left hand stock or a neutral will suit me. Going to try to handle some later today or this week.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I shoot skeet, trap, and sporting clays, as well as duck and goose hunt. You can throw turkeys in there too.

Started out shooting right handed guns and switching safetys. After college and I could afford left handed guns, I never went back. I had a LH SBEII for 10 or so years. Good gun, but sold it due to recoil with the inertia system. I don't regret selling it at all. Sometimes it would jam my trigger finger against the trigger guard - other times the 3.5" with full inertia would buck pretty good. I wised up and found out I didn't have to absorb all that punishment. So I got a gasser in the form of a LH Berreta A400 with the Kick-Off system. They advertise 70% less kick - I don't know how to measure it, but I bet it's close. That's my go to shotgun now. Along with a LH O/U Berreta 682 with LH palm swell and trigger, a BPS 10ga, and a LH safety Berreta A390 Silver Mallard. Berreta's been making firearms for over 500 years. They're pretty good at it.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
How would you compare the recoil of the SBE with the recoil of the BPS 10 gauge?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I own a left-hand 1100 3” that functions just fine with 3 barrels!

And a Winchester 1400 2-3/4” in left hand…..2 barrels.

Maybe sub-standard(compared to some here)……but they work.

grin

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by njt124
Thanks for all the replies, after rethinking this and being mainly used for upland (pheasants) I may go the O/U route. Looking at the beretta 6 series line and wondering if I need left hand stock or a neutral will suit me. Going to try to handle some later today or this week.

As a lefty I have Beretta 686 series I had the stock bent to neutral.... fits me fine. Shooting 32 inch sporting barrel on it now with a set of 20 gauge barrels for skeet. Always wanted a set for 28 gauge barrels for the 12 gauge frame but always late when a used set showed up for sale.

Why Beretta doesn't offer 32 inch 20 and 28 gauge barrels for the 12 gauge frame baffles me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a couple of Ithaca 37s that I had the safety converted to a LH. Not sure if they will take a 3 inch shell as is or if a smith could modify it to accept them.

He who laughs last is slow-witted.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 75 invisible), 2,781 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.