24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just curious. How did you turn your .22 rimfire bolt into centrefire?

I didn't. I use a Contender Carbine which has dual firing pins and goes both ways. My friend Muffin did convert a 10/22 to CF and it works.

I'm not the first loony to do this by the way. If you read the fine print in the following link you will find out who it was. Fairly well known loony in days of old.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14251051/1

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

BP-B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I quit reloading about 15 years ago, so usually shoot factory loads. I've never been a target shooter but do enjoy checking the zero on 2 or 3 hunting rifles before the season starts. Usually shoot 2 to 3 shots to foul the barrel and verify nothing has changed since last season. Lots of whitetails here so may kill 3 to 10 in a season, and almost all are shot from an elevated blind or ladder stand 20 to 60
yards away. When I go out west for elk i usually shoot a couple rounds to verify zero to put the guide at ease.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
You shoot standard factory cartridges?

It costs me about 4 cents to reload a .22.

Me too, with cast bullets in the .22 Hornet. But both the powder and primers were acquired during a "panic buying" interlude.....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
2 bricks of .22 a month. I can do that for 2 yrs. Center fire pistol, 100 rds a week. At that rate I have enough components for 2 yrs. Centerfire rifle, 100 rds a month. Enough components on hand to last 4 yrs.

Before you all rant on me for being a hoarder, most of the components were purchased well before Trump became pres. The stuff was sitting on the shelf with some dust it. I happened to have the cash on hand, and chose to spend some of it. The .22's were off of the 'net, on sale. $190-$210-ish per case. Bought 5 cases. Only thing I have bought since the madness started was 1200 .243 bullets. Gotta do my monthly Hi-Power Silhouette shoots.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky

- With the quality of some of today’s factory ammo then take the average person that is busy with life. Is it still worth the hassle? If you shoot 15-20 boxes a year out of your main hunting rifle is it worth it?
All that being said I have personally shot very little factory centerfire ammo, most has been reloads for me

Gratefully I'm not the average person and get to shoot more than most.

PD numbers and gopher numbers have been down the last couple years so Im not shooting as much as before, but I'll still go through 2k centerfire rounds in a year pretty easy.

And I handload...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I don’t shoot near enough

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Back when I was a punk I was shooting as much as 12k shotgun/year and probably around 1-2k rifle rounds. I one a more leisurely pace these days but the range is in the back yard. Maybe 1k/year or a bit more.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I shoot a lot over short time intervals. And then not much for other short time intervals.

The cost isn't something I ever think about. I don't mind spending on things I enjoy doing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not much lately.

Not the i don’t have Ammo ratholed.

Still got a chit pile of the clearance ammo from when the Walmart’s got woke.

Cant replace it right now.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Just curious. How did you turn your .22 rimfire bolt into centrefire?

I didn't. I use a Contender Carbine which has dual firing pins and goes both ways. My friend Muffin did convert a 10/22 to CF and it works.

I'm not the first loony to do this by the way. If you read the fine print in the following link you will find out who it was. Fairly well known loony in days of old.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14251051/1

Yeah!!! DD does it the easy way smile he just flips a switch!!

I used a Dremel tool, drill, cut off drill bit, a local welder, several files..............

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14251051/32

Be careful, the looney runs deep in this read, and by all indications it is catching!

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I have only shot about 100 rounds this year. A box of .243 Win. and about 100 rounds of 50 cal. roundballs. I shoot more in the fall but shoot les and less every year. I have enough for the rest of my life if I shoot 200 rounds a year.

It cost me very little to shoot. I am sure I payed about 20 bucks per 1,000 primers. I have some Rem. 130 gr. .277 bullets that came from Midway over 30 yrs. ago that set me back $73.00/1,000 , and mil powder I payed $69.00 for 2 8lb bottles . I even have a H 872 powder I bought for $22 /8 lb can that I have not used yet.

Last edited by ihookem; 07/17/21.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Not as much as I should /would like.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I have a "Shoot2Poop" system, so it is pretty much once a day. I have a bunch of "Gongs' and I have them set up in a series along the trail from the cabin to the outhouse.
I also have five shooting ranges here on the homestead, but some need to have the D-8 brush out the shooting lane. I am going blind, so other then the daily "Shoot2Poop" event, I don't use the rifle ranges much.

Have a walking trail system that has old propane tanks swinging from the trees. They are each painted one of three colors, Dark Green or Dark Brown or Dark Red. You never know what color tank you will see first, but what ever that color is, you pull down on it, but don't fire. And that color becomes the friendlies for the balance of that days walk. The other two colors are problems to be mitigated. For my application hitting the tank is not super important, this is more about training for instant identification of friendlies vs. "problems".

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I shoot factory ammo. Prior to retirement I could buy ammo at wholesale prices and I went deep on the 3 types I shoot the most; 9mm, 223/5.56 and 308w. Summers I dry fire or shoot pistol at indoor ranges. I use Fed 115 gr 9mm fmj for practice and will shoot about 5k rounds this year. I will shoot about 5k rounds of 223 ball through my ARs and coyote rifles for practice and about 2k of 150gr ball through my 308w. I check zero w/ my hunting ammo at 100-500 yards. My ARs are zeroed at 100 w/ 77gr Black Hills OTM and I have 1k rounds of that for SD but use cheap fed. 55 gr for most practice for social occasions.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I shoot my hunting rifles very little. They all have a load developed for them and I head out prior to hunting to confirm zero. That said,
I typically shoot my handguns and rimfires twice a week.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I haven't shot any CF factory ammo in this century, rifle, shotgun or pistol, but have shot some .22 RF purchased years ago. That began to bore me also.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

One of my better groups:

And there there's the big bore....

Anybody can do this with a factory cartridge......250 Savage w/handloads.
DD, I don't get how a rimfire firearm can detonate the primers on centerfire wildcat cartridges.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
T/C Contenders have 2 firing pins; CF/RF, and a selector on the hammer. I shoot .30 Sneezer, .22 RF & CF in the same frame. Like Muffin said, I flip the switch.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DD, do the primer pockets ever loosen up?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I shoot very little centerfire any more with the exception of ground squirrel hunting which runs from around the middle of April through the middle of July here. When they are up I am out once or twice a week and will shoot around a 100 rounds of 223 on those days.
Rimfire is a different story though - I will usually shoot from 250 to 350 rounds a day when ground squirrel hunting, and all year long any day that it is not blowing too hard or the temperature is not below 40 F. I will shoot at least 25 rounds and quite often as much as a 100 rounds of rimfire.

it is easy to shoot either centerfire or rimfire though because I have a bench on my deck so I can step out the door and shoot rimfire, and I also have a centerfire bench setup just a few yards from the house that allows shots to over 1000 yards. The best part of both bench setups is that hills behind the target has plenty of various sized rocks to use as targets and get instant feedback from hits. If I had to drive to a range and put up with crowds the amount of shooting I do would decrease dramitically.

drover

Last edited by drover; 07/17/21. Reason: clarity

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
For those with questions/comments on the 22RF I suggest that the discussion move to this thread..... so as to not hijack How much do you shoot

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12061610/32

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
663 members (16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 77 invisible), 2,655 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,612
Posts18,398,407
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.