Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by mannyspd1
I was fortunate enough to hunt Africa with Bill in 2008, I think? We met in Atlanta and flew together from there. Bill took his 45-110 Shiloh Business Rifle with barrel rear sight and copper penny front sight. I took my 50-90 Shiloh No. 1.

One day, Bill gave me some lessons on his sighting set up. We both took turns shooting at an old kudo skull across a pond, perhaps 225 yds away. We then did some shooting at 600 across a canyon. That day made me believer in barrel sights with a copper penny front. When I got home, I promptly ordered another Shiloh, this one a Business Rifle in 45-70, with the sights set up just like Bills. I also got a tutorial in shooting paper patch in my 110, set up for hunting.

We each took 6 or so plains game animals, the Shiloh's did well. We then went wingshooting for 2 days, which was amazing. The wingshooting was every bit as good as my experience in Argentina. One day was doves, the next waterfowl. The pickup bed was overflowing each evening with birds. The trackers would sit on top of the birds in the pickup bed, and hand out birds to the natives all the way back to camp.

Every night, we would sit around the campfire, sampling South African made beverages, recap the hunting that day and tell stories. As you guys know, Bill was some kind of storyteller. He had us on the edge of our seats.

These are lifelong memories for me that will never be replaced. Every time I break out that Business Rifle I think of how it came to be.

Great story! To be a "bug on a wall" ! Thanks for Sharing!!!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
BP-B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Mannyspd1, did you get that b gun in 2010 or 2011 on the round barrel run? Bill and another guy I know as well as myself all ordered b- guns on that run. Bill had a curiosity that continually led him to finding answers for his questions and he was not afraid to do so. He told me that like the original business 45-2.1" he ordered his with a 1 in 20 twist. At the time 1 in 18 was std and no small amount are spec'ed 1 in 16. Bill wanted the 1 in 20 original twist to work with 400 gr bullets like the originals. Bill was a big fan of the penetrating and killing power of the Lyman Gov't 500+ grain round nose bullet but wanted to experience original weight bullets. The curiosity factor right there. Bill was a wealth of knowledge we've all lost. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Magnum Bob,
Yes, that is when I got it. Ordered it as soon as I got back from the trip. I already had a 50 and a 45 2⁷/⁸, so the 45-70 seemed the way to go. Easy to load for and shoot, and a nice hunting gun.

Bill got me started on the 457125 Lyman Gov. bullet cast 30-1. I ended up shooting an upsized copy of that bullet in my 50, weighing 700 grains.

Then he got me started on paperpatch. I see a pattern here? Lol

On the trip I was on with Bill, he had some Lyman Gov bullets, some paperpatch weighing just over 500 grains, and the 457121 weighing 480 ish? He wanted to compare performance of the different bullets on game.

Manny

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Mannyspd1, did you get that b gun in 2010 or 2011 on the round barrel run? Bill and another guy I know as well as myself all ordered b- guns on that run. Bill had a curiosity that continually led him to finding answers for his questions and he was not afraid to do so. He told me that like the original business 45-2.1" he ordered his with a 1 in 20 twist. At the time 1 in 18 was std and no small amount are spec'ed 1 in 16. Bill wanted the 1 in 20 original twist to work with 400 gr bullets like the originals. Bill was a big fan of the penetrating and killing power of the Lyman Gov't 500+ grain round nose bullet but wanted to experience original weight bullets. The curiosity factor right there. Bill was a wealth of knowledge we've all lost. Mb

Originally Posted by mannyspd1
Magnum Bob,
Yes, that is when I got it. Ordered it as soon as I got back from the trip. I already had a 50 and a 45 2⁷/⁸, so the 45-70 seemed the way to go. Easy to load for and shoot, and a nice hunting gun.

Bill got me started on the 457125 Lyman Gov. bullet cast 30-1. I ended up shooting an upsized copy of that bullet in my 50, weighing 700 grains.

Then he got me started on paperpatch. I see a pattern here? Lol

On the trip I was on with Bill, he had some Lyman Gov bullets, some paperpatch weighing just over 500 grains, and the 457121 weighing 480 ish? He wanted to compare performance of the different bullets on game.

Manny

A very Smart, and Intelligent Man with an inquisitive mind, that most can't imagine! It really does explain the nick name "Sir Bagwell" that some gave him!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Mannyspd1, I double checked when I ordered that gun it was feb of 2010 only had a week or so left to order on that round and bull barrel run. IIRC I called Shiloh and ordered it from Lucinda and gave her my cc# for the deposit. They ran the round barrels before the bulls, when I called after getting the notice for the remainder, she thought mid September. I asked that they email me a heads up for when it was ready and to not ship it. So she emailed me it was ready to go. I had allready told my boss that I might be needing a couple of vacation days in Sept. on damn short notice, he was ok with that. I had all ready sized and trimmed norma 2.9" long and loaded them with ppb's. I was ready when the email got to me before quitting time on thursday afternoon, told the boss I was headed to montana friday morning. At 9 in the morning I called to confirm and they said it 's ready. I asked when they closed and was told 4:30pm. I made that tacoma fly, no carbon build up that day 455 miles in just under 7 hrs with 1 gas stop. Walked into Shiloh at 10minutes after 4 and did the paperwork picking up my b gun. A steak and a drink and then a motel room for the night. Next morning I was up on the mountain north of Big Timber on some BLM to check my loads and zero. Back then Shiloh was open to noon on Saturday so I stopped in and bought a buffalo soule xlr rear sight and headed home. A trip to Shiloh to pick up a guys long awaited rifle is definetely a highlight in ones life. 2 weeks later I shot a nice antelope buck with it. Called Bill after I got it and he told me how tall to cut the penny to replace the silver blade. Mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 06/27/21.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
From the photo album of gunner500, a Bagwell moment:

[Linked Image]

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
The old Gent was getting it done right up until he went in for that back surgery in Jan/21 Sir Ron, i may have jumbled my text, that crow lite near Saint Bagwells's 300 'Meter' gong, making it a near 328 yards, notice ladder barrel hunting sights only, cool stuff, Thanks for posting the picture Sir Ron.

In his 40-65 Shiloh he was either firing a 415 gr Lyman greaser or 400 gr paper patch from a Brooks mould, he ran 65 grains of KIK 2F under either bullet helluva marksman he was.

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by gunner500
...helluva marksman he was.

And a helluva teacher/mentor.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
...helluva marksman he was.

And a helluva teacher/mentor.

Ed

Yes Sir he was my Friend Ed, we gotta run a blade though a rib-eye soon.

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
...Yes Sir he was my Friend Ed, we gotta run a blade though a rib-eye soon.

Yes sir, we do.

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 07/17/21.

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yesterday was eight months since the canonization of Saint Bagwell:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice gesture, but it's a Lurquin, not a Bagwell.
Rush Limbaugh and Bill Bagwell died on the same day.
My 17.5-y.o. dog died last month too.
It has been a rough year.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for posting Sir Ron!

Rest in Peace Sir Bill Bagwell!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Wow! man that some good stuff, there are Bladesmiths and knife fans the world over who respect and recognize the talents Saint Bagwell had, just another of the hundreds of testaments on what a truly unique and gifted craftsman he was. smile

Many Thanks for that Sir Ron.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Sorry to hear about your dog too Sir Ron, yes, it's been a hell of a rough year, starting 3 November 2020!!!!!

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sorry to hear about your dog too Sir Ron, yes, it's been a hell of a rough year, starting 3 November 2020!!!!!

You're not damned kidding! I mean who voted for that guy! whistle

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by beretzs

Yeah, nobody!

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Yeah, nobody!

I'd like to find "nobody" and kick him square in the nuts cause everytime I fill my 55 gallon tank on my truck with 3.50 a gallon diesel that is just what it feels like. That's minor compared to the "nobodies" that hammered our exfil from Afghanistan. Nobody would get their asses whooped..

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Yeah, nobody!

I'd like to find "nobody" and kick him square in the nuts cause everytime I fill my 55 gallon tank on my truck with 3.50 a gallon diesel that is just what it feels like. That's minor compared to the "nobodies" that hammered our exfil from Afghanistan. Nobody would get their asses whooped..

Gotcha Big Buddy, Americans and Allies left to die, plus 85 bil of our equipment left behind, the afghans are to stupid to run/inspect/copy it, but the bucket head chinks damn sure are not.

They're going to be so wasteful, i want all my tax money back damnit! this discussion certainly wont taint Saint Bagwells memorial, he used to love to get red hot fired up on the phone talking about resident bidet and her band of merry communists.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks Gunner.. It was a rant.. Apologize.

I figure the best way to remember some folks is to keep living and fighting the good fight against dummies.. It's going to be a long one..

But damn, that is one helluva knife.. Wished I had the chance for one of them devils when he was forging.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Gunner.. It was a rant.. Apologize.

I figure the best way to remember some folks is to keep living and fighting the good fight against dummies.. It's going to be a long one..

But damn, that is one helluva knife.. Wished I had the chance for one of them devils when he was forging.

All good Buddy, as said, he got so winded one day on the phone i had to ask if he was okay, he said hell yes! this chit spools up some good cardio for my heart. smile

Yep, wish you had a blade and were into Sharps and could have met me at his place for a weekend of shooting, i'll forever miss those.

Trump Won!
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
669 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 59 invisible), 3,157 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,213
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.