Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Where are you guys finding bullets to reload these? I am looking for DEWCs or SWCs.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
There is an old lead mine within a few miles of my place. Thinking about checking it out for scraps. Ha!

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by cotis
Where are you guys finding bullets to reload these? I am looking for DEWCs or SWCs.

I found mine on the bottom shelf of my reloading room, too heavy to have any higher.

Have you checked Rimrock and Missouri bullets? I'm assuming a bit of a wait, but don't know. I have used both with good results

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The Missouri Bullet Co. 158 gr. SWC coated bullet over a stout dose of Unique is standard carry in my 4" S&W M15 and 3" round butt M64. The 148 gr. Wadcutter with a lesser charge stokes my M642 cylinder.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I just ordered some bullets from Straight Shooters Cast Bullets. Took maybe a week for them to cast them up and send them out. I should get them in the next couple of days. I have some I have gotten from them before, but haven't loaded any up yet (I still need to set up my reloading bench and stuff).

https://sscastbullets.com/

Last edited by Stophel; 07/17/21.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Actually, I just now got them. wink

[Linked Image]

The "wide" flat SWC with the cool red coating. The meplat is wider than on the regular SWC.

Matt's Bullets makes an even wider meplat bullet in 157 grains. That would be kickass.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I can afford a Smith, I’m not gonna buy a Charter, or a Taurus, or maybe even a Ruger. The 66 looks like your best choice, loaded with .38s or .38- level .357s to keep the chambers clean, and just maybe be more accurate. A piece by Brian Pearce years ago suggested that loads in .357 cases were a touch more accurate. Once my pile of .38 brass is exhausted, I won’t buy any more, as both my guns are .357s.

Not for Canadians, but my new 3” M60 Pro is a nearly perfect carry “.38”. Much easier to hit with than a snubbie.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I want to try some of the coated ones, probably Missouri Bullet Co. Seem to be the answer to a couple of issues, and they’re pretty.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You all talked me in to grabbing a model 64 police trade in off of GB last night. Should be a fun little plinker

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Stophel

I just ordered some bullets from Straight Shooters Cast Bullets. Took maybe a week for them to cast them up and send them out. I should get them in the next couple of days. I have some I have gotten from them before, but haven't loaded any up yet (I still need to set up my reloading bench and stuff).

https://sscastbullets.com/

Thanks for the link, though I'm not sure I'd give recommendations for something I've never used.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Originally Posted by moosemike
I do. I have a Taurus 85 that has never caused a single issue. I bought it when I lived paycheck to paycheck and many times since those days I've thought of replacing it with an S&W. But it shoots to the sights, is accurate, and works without a hitch. So I've become rather fond of it despite so many folks saying its not a quality gun.

From my experience that's one of the most consistent handgun on the market today. Taurus discontinued it and brought out the 856 which is a 6 shot.

Nice to hear something good about it for once

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Try Brazos, they show SWC's & WC's in stock:

https://www.brazosprecision.com/38-Special357-Magnum_c_13.html

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
If I can afford a Smith, I’m not gonna buy a Charter, or a Taurus, or maybe even a Ruger. The 66 looks like your best choice, loaded with .38s or .38- level .357s to keep the chambers clean, and just maybe be more accurate. A piece by Brian Pearce years ago suggested that loads in .357 cases were a touch more accurate. Once my pile of .38 brass is exhausted, I won’t buy any more, as both my guns are .357s.

Not for Canadians, but my new 3” M60 Pro is a nearly perfect carry “.38”. Much easier to hit with than a snubbie.

Yes, the Model 66 is available. Probably because of the cost. I have 400 or 500 357 cases. It is easy to download 357 to 38+P velocities.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I really like my Colt Detective Special, will not get rid of my Ruger LCR, 4" Speed Six, or 4" Service Six. All in 38 special

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G

Geez, I'm glad I got into casting my own .38 bullets two generations ago. Haven't had to shop for .38 bullets or sweat shortages, ever.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I carried a Stainless J frame 649 as an off duty and back up gun for years on patrol. My 649 has been exiled to wife's home defense gun. My newer 642 Airweight snubby gets carried more now if I'm in a .38 frame of mind (which honestly isn't often these days). I purchased my first issued duty weapon from the city when they issued us S&W 4506 autos. It's a Ruger Stainless Police Service Six with a 4" barrel. I'd have no issues using the Ruger for a woods carry gun loaded with 158 grain hard cast SWC bullets at 900-1000fps.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Can't beat a Diamondback
Don't shoot anything but 38 SP in the Diamondback the +P are a little to much.

Last edited by jbmi; 07/18/21.

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Yes, the Model 66 is available. Probably because of the cost. I have 400 or 500 357 cases. It is easy to download 357 to 38+P velocities.

I’d buy the S&W 66. The New Charter Arms you asked about are not bad. For a Charter Arms. But it’s no S&W, obviously.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I like 4.0 grs of bullseye pushing the lyman 155gr swc gas-checked. MV is rated at 858fps also according to Lyman. To me it's perfect. Enough power to keep things all business, but still rated as a standard load for controllable fire

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Geez, I'm glad I got into casting my own .38 bullets two generations ago. Haven't had to shop for .38 bullets or sweat shortages, ever.

I'm glad I have a friend like Gary (Gnoahhh) who showed me and others how to cast this winter. grin Once this "crisis" is over I'll be acquiring all the stuff to cast on my own. Another fun thing to do when I retire.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (12344mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 3,290 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,301
Posts18,468,064
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.